Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting CCB's (When available)

magish01

Jeeze, the CCB's aren't even out yet and here I want to cut them up. Does anyone know if it will be possible to cut the CCB's and use Molex or other type of connectors to extend the CCB strings? My situation is I need a 37 ft run of lights, a 15 ft blank area, a 6 1/2 ft run of lights, a 7 ft blank area, and a final 6 1/2 ft run of lights. Trying to get a jump on planning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, yeah, I know I can cut them but having them operated after the cut and paste WOULD be a PLUS! LOL;)

Jeff Millard wrote:

The first problem just needs larger wire -- maybe not if the extensions are short. It is easy to see this problem, just turn all bulbs on full and the end bulbs will be pink instead of white.

Well..this is quite troubling...

Was he making this statement about an unaltered string of CCB's?

If so, are they planing on fixing this "problem", if it can indeed be fixed?

Kinda difficult now to spend $4200 on 21 strings of lights that don't work right...

Hmmm, looks like the best idea maybe to get a 50 ft unit, a 25 ft unit and a LARGE roll of black electrical tape to cover bulbs in the needed vacant areas. (Idea by Jerry Rigg)

jimswinder wrote:

Kinda difficult now to spend $4200 on 21 strings of lights that don't work right...

Go back and read Jeff's post again.

He said:
but please understand that I was asking if I could cut and add an extension somewhere in a string of 50, to put a gap of approximately 7' to 10'..

Don wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

Go back and read Jeff's post again.

He said:
but please understand that I was asking if I could cut and add an extension somewhere in a string of 50, to put a gap of approximately 7' to 10'..

sorry Don...but that DOES NOT answer my question.

John could have been saying that EVEN with no extension, the lights turn pink...so imagine what they would look like WITH an extension...

would just like some clarification from someone who has the CCB's in hand....

jimswinder wrote:

John could have been saying that EVEN with no extension, the lights turn pink...so imagine what they would look like WITH an extension...

1) The only people with CCB's in hand is LOR. Email support@lightorama.com to ask your question.

2) Jeff was specifically asking about cutting the ribbon. John was taking about cutting the ribbon. The entire conversation shown was in respect to cutting the ribbon.

Sorry for trying to answer your question. I'll back off.

Don wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

1) The only people with CCB's in hand is LOR. Email support@lightorama.com to ask your question.

2) Jeff was specifically asking about cutting the ribbon. John was taking about cutting the ribbon. The entire conversation shown was in respect to cutting the ribbon.

Sorry for trying to answer your question. I'll back off.
Don't mind you at all trying to answer a question...but I think it is kind of difficult to answer or clarify someone elses statement when you don't exactly know in what context they made that statement...

I can't imagine John cut up a CCB and put an extension on it to Jeff's specification just to see what the results would be...

maybe he did.. I don't know either..

that's why I would like some clarification...as I am sure others who are thinking of purchasing the CCB's would also...

PS: I sent an Email to support...

Jeff Millard wrote:

No Jim, John was indicating that after I cut and extended them they would not maintain the white color if I were to cut and extend them. The discussion was about an altered set of bulbs, not about the factory assembled product. At no time did he indicate that there was a problem that needed to be "fixed" The design of the CCBs is rock solid. You have a knack for reading things into the posts people make, and in this case it's completely out of line.

My post in this thread was to help someone understand that cutting up a product that hasn't even been released to the public yet, may not the best idea due to the design of that product. Why? Because I've done quite a bit of research into that product due to my desire to have it do certain things for my display. The negative posts in this thread due to the information I've shared, has me deciding that I'll quit answering the technical questions. Especially if it brings a negative light to a product that's about to be released.

Admin, I'd appreciate it if you'd delete my posts from this thread. They were meant to help someone, and due to the response... they've dealt a negative blow to my relationship with the vendor.

Jeff
Jeff...there was NO negative comments made...just asking for clarification....

thank you for clarifying it...

I was asked via PM or email (forgot) to check on this thread. Anyway there isn't an issue with the CCBs where they get pink at the end. We of course would not even consider a product with such an issue.

As far as extending it, I do not recommend it. The data signal is sensitive to longer distances and there would be the need to inject additional current.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Looks like I am just going to have to buy and extra set of CCB's instead of cutting. OH DARN! What ever will I do? Hehehehe

• The topic was locked