Light-O-Rama Forums

Chauvet LED Sweeper

George Cotton

I recently saw the Chauvet LED Sweeper in operation and it interested me. Here is what I found out from the manual.

The unit requires 8 DMX channels for the 6 RGB LED "Pods". It can be programmed for any DMX starting address and then uses that one and the next 7.

Pods 1 thru 6 (x=Pod #)
Channel - Value - Function
x - 000~010 Blackout
x - 011~045 Red
x - 045~080 Green
x - 081~115 Blue
x - 116~150 Yellow
x - 151~185 Magenta
x - 186~220 Cyan
x - 221~225 White

There are other DMX options, but I believe these are what will be necessary to be controlled by LOR via iDMX-1000. Channel 7 is for "strobe" effects. Channel 8 is for some automatic functions and sound activation.

I sorta have figured out how to program RGB via DMX in LOR SE for what appears to be individual R-G-B sources, but I'm not sure how to actually use the requirements for this unit in the LOR SE grid. If it will work at all. I have read over the iDMX-1000 manual and it helped to clear the mud somewhat. But the water is still pretty murky.

Having only worked with DMX recently in a studio setting where each channel controlled one or more instruments in a 0%-100% slider (fader) setting, colors were in different channels on the lighting board, but not selected via any DMX programming other than their slide on the lighting board. Single RGB LED's in DMX are a new area for me.

BTW, I'm still looking, have not purchased either the Sweeper or iDMX until I figure out if it will work. So I'm not out any money if it won't work. I'm just asking for ideas as additional input for decision-making.

Unfortunately, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong. You won't be able to use the RGB unit personality that LOR has provided in the SE. HOWEVER, that is not to say that you cannot use this instrument. It's perfectly possible to use this instrument, however in the SE you have to set up 6 channels labeled "Pods" one labeled " strobe" and one labeled "pre-programmed, macro, Etc."

You will then have to sequence keeping in mind that different intensities on the same channel will control your 0-255. Meaning, at 50% or so the first pod will be in blue, but at 100% it will be at white.

If the macros/pre programmed effects work for you, you might be able to get away with throwing them in as it will save you some sequencing time. However they might end up looking a little "wedding dj-ish" if they're too flashy or aren't what you were thinking.

RGB is RGB. It can either be 3 independent channels to control color, or as an RGB element/module/strip, it can be controlled via DMX.

So if you have DMX experience on a board, you understand why within a "channel" the value for an "effect/color" has a "range", in your example:

x - 011~045 Red

In a sequence you would provide an intensity, (in this case, a DMX intensity) that is say "15". With that value set, channel X will display as red and will do so until you set the value to 0 (zero/off) or another value.

DMX Fixtures have ranges for channel effects because if you are on a board, it is not easy to hit an exact number for an effect, but if you just get into the range, the effect happens.

I think most will agree that DMX is here to stay within our hobby and will continue to play a larger part in our displays as evident in the RGB explosion that has happened in the past 18-24 months.

LOR has announced a cheaper DMX dongle solution, but has yet to announce a date for availability.

On my site is a couple DMX primers. One detailed, one shorter but more to the point. Review them, then keep asking questions.

Mark:

Thanks so much. Actually, I have been to your site and read, read and read what you had. Very helpful and easy to understand. I thought I had a grasp on DMX and then I got back to playing with LOR SE and things kinda went away.

I guess my main questions are ones of syntax in LOR SE. After I set up an iDMX and convert channel 1 to RGB, I get the RGB sub-channels to program. I played with setting intensities and all that seemed to be straight forward. But here is where I get confused, not having a DMX device and iDMX converter to play with.

So, if I set channel 1-R to 15 intensity (for red), 1-G to 50 (for green) and 1-B to 100 (for blue), I should get those colors when I program an effect in them. But I create a fade, shimmer, twinkle or whatever other function or maybe even do a color change from red to red-green, green-blue and to blue, does this pretty much follow normal LOR SE programming once the individual channels of RGB intensities are set?

I think if I put it this way, it might clear it up some, at least to me. So if I set channel 1 RGB intensities to something OTHER than normal RGB, say White, Cyan and Yellow. The LOR SE would still display RGB in the programming grid (which it should), but in reality, the effects I created would now be in White, Cyan and Yellow. Is this logic close to correct?

Right now for me, it's just theoretical, and that's a problem for me to get my mind around. But I think I will order the Sweeper and just use it's programming for a couple of effects for Halloween. Then I'll have lots of time before next year to learn more and see how the new DMX dongle works out. I probably can't use it as I'm 100% stand alone and don't use the computer except to create the SD Card with sequencies and music, then I put it away for till I set things up for Christmas and program a new SD Card.

Again thanks for your tutorials on your website and your comments above. All is greatly appreciated as I learn a new facet of LOR.

George,

So the device you are looking at is not what we call an RGB element. It has that 'ability" but not that true RGB application. LOR SE is going to be limited to intensity levels to control color, rather than color blending (RGB) to control color.

The issue is that every "bulb" on the Sweeper (POD 1-6)probably has a color wheel to give you the color effect. It is most likely not a 3 LED (RGB) element. I could be wrong, but I looked at the User Manual and that is my interpretation.

So attempting to blend it as you indicate, I cannot see as possible using an RGB channel with SE.

You are going to be limited to the colors that Chauvet provides for each light/pod.

Send me a PM, this is something that we can certainly talk about to get a full understanding.

• The topic was locked