Light-O-Rama Forums

Intelligent effects when using LOR controller as a DMX device?

Randy R

Is it possible to to trigger "intelligent" LOR controller effects (twinkle, shimmer, etc.) when using the LOR controller as a DMX-controlled device along side other DMX fixtures?

I'm wondering about direct control of the hardware channels, not triggering stored sequences. The LOR controller would not be on a LOR software network - for my use, it would be another fixture on a DMX universe.

Thanks!

No intelligent effects when used with DMX. Your DMX package would have to send the frames that result in the same visual effect.

I have the iDMX connecting my LOR to my DMX lights, and it appears that the iDMX handles the processing that klb suggests and it simulates the effect to the DMX device. My DMX lights twinkled and shimmered during my test this morning....

Correct. The iDMX does handle conversion of LOR commands to the series of frames that have the same visual effect. I use one for controlling some DMX LED light bars in both shows.

But I don't think it is relevant to the question at hand. If it is, we should also add that the iDMX can only process 128 intelligent channel effects at one time.

Ahhhhhh.... Sorry I see now that I had it backwards. I was being too eager to help as I am excited I am just experimenting with DMX light tubes and the iDMX.

But your note on the 128 limitation is helpful to know in advance. I have another question, but I'll post it in a different thread later this evening. (I think I'm supposed to be working now! Ha! Can't wait to get home and play some more!!)

Thank you for the clarification.

I think DMX can update up to about 44 times per second. I think this makes everything look about the same as the LOR controllers running the standard protocol.

• The topic was locked