Light-O-Rama Forums

When did this happen?

Guest guest

Melvin Stoddard wrote:

To me alot of the fun in this "hobby" is doing the sequence myself. I don't think I would pay for one or use free ones.

Melvin,

When I first got into this I did download quite a few sequences from various sites, this forum included, the reason most of us do this is not that we don't want to create our own sequences, in fact, we do. But it gives a newbie a starting point to work with, especially if you haven't ever done this before. And before 2010, I downloaded the LOR Demo in Dec. 2009, bought my first controller used at the end of Dec. 2009, but prior to that, I had no idea what I was really getting myself into, and those that shared their sequences made it easier for me to understand what I was getting into, and looking at some of my 2010 sequences compared to some of the new ones I have done for 2011, well, now I've got a LOT of tweaking to do, they aren't really bad, but they aren't what I'd consider up to snuff either.

We also use others sequences to adapt it to our display, make tweaks here and there to fit our decor. Mainly this is done when some of us get into a pinch and need to be able to work something quickly, since sequencing DOES take a vast amount of time and patience to get it just right, and even then we still go back and redo many parts of them.

But that's why I share and make my sequences available to everyone, folks can use them if they want, if not, they can just ignore them, basically they are there for newbies to get a grasp on how to sequence parts of song. Died in the wool pro's like George Simmons and others here that do this as a paying gig, well, they are the go to guys when you might encounter an issue, they have been very instrumental in my wanting to clean up and improve my sequence abilities, and without their expertise they share here on the forums, many newbies, like myself a year ago (and still consider myself new to this) would probably be at a total loss on what we did wrong or why something didn't play out just right.

So those of us that share our sequences do it to help folks coming into this to get a better grasp of what they're really in for, but you really don't know the full scope until you do a sng sequence completely from scratch on your own, and yes, while that is the most worthwhile to most of us, some folks just need a little help or a slight push in the right direction.

So you might be missing out on some interesting effects others have come up with by not allowing yourself to download and play around with others sequences, who can say, you might learn something you had no idea that could be accomplished with the LOR Sequencer until you saw how someone else did something.

Just know I've learned how to do tracks by looking at others sequences that use this form, learned how to get things to work like I want them too, well, as to the limitations of the effects themselves that LOR offers in their controllers. And I continue to learn by looking at and even adapting others sequences to my display, eventually those adaptions become a totally and completey redone sequence.

So I feel there is always room for improvement and looking at others sequencing has helped me improve on my own sequencing technique.

So to all those that have given your expertise here to us all in the forum and to those that have shared your sequences here as well, I say THANK YOU! :)

Don wrote:

Orville wrote:
Who said anything about "UP IN ARMS!"

I don't see anywhere that I stated that.

I was just wondering when the site changed and why, nothing really all that upsetting, with just a little about where all the sequences that had been there disappeared too.

Wasn't trying to make this anything more than that, and I m definitely NOT up in arms over it, was just curious.

I was using "we" as a community, not "you" as in Orville. If the verbiage in my message left you with the impression, I was speaking of you, or directly about you, then please accept my apology.

Don, I wasn't referring to your post, but the one where Jerry had used that term, so I went back to see if maybe I had typed that or if anyone else had, couldn't find it, and why I had posted what I did. Your message never left me with that impression that it was toward me, but toward all of us here, since sometimes we (me included) can fall off the deep end at times.:)

Sorry Orvile, the refrence was to Don's responce. Like you I have learned a lot from some of the sequences uploaded (including some of yours, to which I thank you for sharing). Don's point if the author wants some compensation (more power to him/her) is of course valid, I pesonally do NOT sequence for profit but for fun and am glad to share. There was a great wealth of data on the site and it would be a shame to loose it. Of course somewone has to foot the bill for server space and bandwidth. Keep in mind this is for FUN !

jerrymac wrote:

Sorry Orvile, the refrence was to Don's responce. Like you I have learned a lot from some of the sequences uploaded (including some of yours, to which I thank you for sharing). Don's point if the author wants some compensation (more power to him/her) is of course valid, I pesonally do NOT sequence for profit but for fun and am glad to share. There was a great wealth of data on the site and it would be a shame to loose it. Of course somewone has to foot the bill for server space and bandwidth. Keep in mind this is for FUN !

I agree Jerry, if one wishes to be compensated for the time and effort they put into this, then that is their option.

When I get to a point that I might feel my sequences are worth a little compensation, well, I may go that route, but I'd say I'm still quite a few years away from that yet!:D:)

I actually doubt I'll ever go that route(compensation for my sequences), as I do this for the enjoyment of myself, family and visitors to my Holiday displays. And I enjoy being able to give something back to the community that has helped me get started in this as I continue to improve my sequencing techniques.

Just uploaded a lot of my 2011 80-channel Halloween sequences to my skydrive for the taking, some are just copy and paste overs, some are brand new and if you look at the sequencing can definitely tell the difference. When I get more time I'll have to tweak the "copied" ones, but with so much going on, just couldn't get everything done I wanted before having to start building and getting the display ready for it's Oct. 1, 2011 start date! Once Halloween has been set up and operational, then it's going to be time to start doing some of the Christmas sequencing, albeit, I may just do a copy/paste over for Christmas this year and then start some new stuff for Christmas after the season. Just had too much I wanted to do for Halloween this year. So fell behind on my Christmas music (again) this year.:shock:

And all of my previous and current 48/80 channel sequences can all be found and downloaded here:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=7d6d47dfa1c635ae&sc=documents&Bsrc=EMSHGM&Bpub=SN.Notifications&id=7D6D47DFA1C635AE%211240

Just in case anyone is interested.

Guest wbottomley

Orville wrote:

wbottomley wrote:
Hey... don't worry. Download hundreds for free here: http://www.highcountrylights.com/links/free-sequences/38-free-sequences.html

It's a collection of websites that offer them for free.

I was beginning to wonder when you were going to chime in.:D:):cool:

I've been trying to pack 10 gallons of $%^& in a 5 gallon bucket. It doesn't work too well but you have to try sometimes.

wbottomley wrote:

Orville wrote:
wbottomley wrote:
Hey... don't worry. Download hundreds for free here: http://www.highcountrylights.com/links/free-sequences/38-free-sequences.html

I was beginning to wonder when you were going to chime in.:):):cool:

I've been trying to pack 10 gallons of $%^& in a 5 gallon bucket. It doesn't work too well but you have to try sometimes.

Same here, keep trying to get those pesky square pegs to fit in those round holes. Just don't understand why they don't just slide right in there.:D

wbottomley wrote:

Orville wrote:
wbottomley wrote:

I was beginning to wonder when you were going to chime in.:D:):cool:

William, here's another site to add to your list. some for sale, but alot of free.

http://ultrashows.com/