Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobes

mcompanik

What is everyone doing to waterproof their strobes? I went through mine this past weekend, and out of 50 of them, 26 aren't working this year. I found some with quite a bit of moisture in them, and some that look perfectly fine don't work. My strobes hang, so the clear part faces down. Should I drill weep holes in them? I want to make sure that my remaining strobes, as well as the new ones I bought last.

One thing I found last year is that it wasn't the strobe that was bad it was the C-9 socket. The "clip" looking thing in the bottom was not making contact with the bottom of the strobe. So I just got a small screwdriver and bent the blade up then re-screwed the strobe in and it worked.

mcompanik wrote:

I tried all of the non-working strobes in known working sockets and still had the same problem.

I would still bend the metal contact up further just in case. I have found that 2 strobes seated differently in a single socket.

You can't "moisture proof" strobes since they aren't vacuum sealed. They are waterproof already (at least the ones from CLS/Darryl are) since they are submerge tested. It isn't liquid water/snow that gets in though, but rather water vapor (humidity) that later condenses from a gas to a liquid (think of it as a mini-greenhouse). So the main focus shouldn't be on trying to keep moisture out, but instead allowing it to get out once it is in (i.e. weep holes on the side that is pointed down).

Darryl's strobes the past 2 years have had a coating on the circuit board to provide extra protection, and I haven't had a single failure in 2 seasons now (with weep holes).

Check out the second paragraph here.

Also some information/links here about repairing strobes.

Poke around on the site. Lots of other information there.

Guest wbottomley

DonFL wrote:

I'm not deploying real strobes, just using pictures of someone elses..so no worries about waterproofing..:cool:

(Hey, if I didn't say it, someone else was going to...:P)

+1:D

I am surprised to see weep holes in the sides of the strobes. Before now I thought the weep holes were in the bottom or top of the strobe.
Jeff

jbzeus wrote:

I am surprised to see weep holes in the sides of the strobes. Before now I thought the weep holes were in the bottom or top of the strobe.
Jeff

Typically you want the holes at the lowest point as they hang when you display them (so gravity will take the water to the hole), so typically if they are just hanging from SPT wire, then you would want to put the holes on the edge of the top of the clear lens cover. They will tend to hang at a diagonal angle so that will be the lowest part. I put on opposite side (180 degrees apart) since you don't know which way they will hang.

Like Surf said, holes on opposite sides. Used a small drill bit and made sure it was going to go ABOVE any fixtures inside. Some have used old soldering irons also.

wbottomley wrote:

Remember, Darryl's strobes are the only ones that need drilling. Creative Display's (Paul Sessel) don't need drilling. They are good to go out of the box.

Thanks for this tip.You just saved me from drilling holes in mine :P

wbottomley wrote:

Remember, Darryl's strobes are the only ones that need drilling. Creative Display's (Paul Sessel) don't need drilling. They are good to go out of the box.

I'd rather drill holes.:P

Guest wbottomley

Paul Roberson wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

I'd rather drill holes.:P

Drill baby drill. :)

wbottomley wrote:

Creative Display's (Paul Sessel) don't need drilling. They are good to go out of the box.

From someone who bought 30 this year from CDI ... what makes theirs different that don't need to be drilled.

Just for educational purposes !

Dave