Light-O-Rama Forums

V1 vs V2 boards and LEDS

vvolf27

Hello,

I recently bought some used LOR controllers. What I notice is the V1 boards make the LED C6 lights flicker once they get past 50% on a fade up. They do not do this with the V2 boards. I made snubbers with ace hardware outlets and 47k 1 watt resistors, these did not help at all. Was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions to fix this? What would cause the V1 boards to do this and the V2 boards not to. Wondering what the big difference is.

Thank you.

As KingTech suggested, a firmware update could be all it takes, but have you tried switching the channels/controllers around? Any possibility that it is only certain light strings having troubles?

The firmware is 3.30, I thought that was the issue because the V2 is 3.40, when I tried to load 3.40 on the V1 it would not let me. I have 5 controllers that are V1 and all of them do it, the 3 controllers that are V2 do not. I think it is a combo of controller and lights because only the white c6 lights do it. The green and red 5mm do not. The lights are from Novelty lights full wave c6 pure white.

CTB16-pc v2 only works with 4.40. CTB16-pc v1 works with up to 4.32 only, not 4.4. It you have 3.x on them, you need to upgrade for sure. 4.32 should be in the default folder that the s2 hardware utility goes to.

Eventually there will be firmware higher than 4.32 for the v1 cards, but it is not here yet. The only difference added in 4.40 is support of the v2 cards.

Any other suggestions? How do I reset a board? I just find it odd that it only happens with the V1 boards. What is the major difference between the two?

Please confirm which board type you have, (CTB16-D, CTB16-PC, etc) and confirm the firmware levels. The board type alters the reset instructions. On the PC series, (and possibly others) there was a firmware release maybe about two or three years that did make a substantial difference in LED dimming behavior. There had been a disconnect at about 50% intensity that was not noticeable with incandescent lights, but was quite noticeable with LED. 4.32 does not have that disconnect. I can't remember which version does have that issue.

Thank you; I have CTB16-PC and I will hook them up over the weekend and confirm which firmware I have. Will post when I verify.

To reset:

Remove power.

Note where the jumper is on the second row of header pins.

Remove that jumper

Apply power. Note that the LED blink pattern is different.

Remove power

Reinstall the jumper on the 2nd row of pins.

Power up normally.

Ok so the firmware was 4.30, I updated to 4.32 same thing happens. I tried resetting but maybe I am doing something wrong. The person I bought them from only has one exterior power cord coming into the box.
BLK into hot input on right side of the board
WHT immediately to the left of the blk
so going from the BLk wire going left there are 3 wht including the one from the outlet. Then two red wires, then 2 wht an empty pin then a BLK wire that goes to the jumper on the far right of the board marked hot jumped. This is at the very bottom of the board between the fuses with the exception of the hot jumper which is to the far right.

I unplugged the unit, removed the blk wire connected to hot jumper, plugged in unit did not see a difference in the led light. unplugged it and reconnected the blk jumper wire. Plugged it in and searched for the unit, still listed 4.32 still had flickering.

I then tried to swap the wires to the left side blk and white and did hot in and jumped board did not power up.

Put it back to how it was tried unplgging the red wire from the right side, pluggin it in no difference in led light. unpluged it and searched for the unit same firmware 4.32 flickering when it ramps up.

Maybe I am a bit confused on which wire to remove for the jumper to reset the board. Or do I need to leave it plugged in for awhile after removing the jumper?

Oops.. Wrong jumpers. Near the top, just to the right of the RJ-45 jacks is a header block. Two rows of brass pins, about 8 in each row. You are looking for a little black plastic clip that ties two pins together.

Ok I did that, found the jumper you were talking about the led was flashing real fast. Should it still show the firmware being 4.32?

Lights still flicker. I am thinking maybe it is the lights with the boards, they do not do it with V2 boards only the V1 for some reason. But my 5mm lights do not do it only the C6 ones.

They are full wave and the controller only has 1 power input there are a total of 5 controllers that are V1 I will have to double check but one of the controllers has two power inputs and it does the same thing, I am pretty sure it does. Will check tomorrow as I work at night.

wbottomley I think you may have helped me figure out the problem. I hooked up the controller that has to power inputs with a V1 board and there is no flicker. The guy I bought the controllers from sent the addition power cords I will have to try hokking one up and see how things go. Thank you

EDIT:
I take that back it is the firmware, the board that is working right now in hardware ultility said the firmware was unknown so I installed 4.32 the flicker started to happen. So I downloaded and installed 4.02 no flicker, tried 4.20 and got the flicker. Went back to version 4.02 flicker is gone so it is something in the firmware.

Went back to the controller with only one power input download 4.02 firmware and no more flicker. I am 100% convinced it has something to do with the firmware.