Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Display Storage

jem5136

Alright, so this year I am growing my light show to 184 channels, and I am getting more and more lights and more and more things for my light show, but I don't know how to store it. Right now, I have my lights in boxes sitting in my closets in my bedroom (I have a lot of closet space) and what I can't fit in there is out in my barn loft. But I would like to know where everyone else stores there things in the off season? I have 3 Mega Poles that I have stored out in the barn, but I don't really have a place for them out there, I only have a few shelves that I built out there for a couple of boxes, but those are mostly for the indoor decorations.

I will be building 9 mini trees and 3 or 4 new arches this year and I'd would like some ideas how to store them. I know I will be putting them up in the loft of my barn, but I just need some ideas of how to store them. Along with lights and controllers and cords and anything else I can't think of right now.

I know you guys know how to store things because I know there are a lot of people on here that have big displays, and you have to do something with all that "stuff" in the off season.

Any help would be really appreciated!! Thanks!

jem5136 wrote:

Alright, so this year I am growing my light show to 184 channels, and I am getting more and more lights and more and more things for my light show, but I don't know how to store it. Right now, I have my lights in boxes sitting in my closets in my bedroom (I have a lot of closet space) and what I can't fit in there is out in my barn loft. But I would like to know where everyone else stores there things in the off season? I have 3 Mega Poles that I have stored out in the barn, but I don't really have a place for them out there, I only have a few shelves that I built out there for a couple of boxes, but those are mostly for the indoor decorations.

I will be building 9 mini trees and 3 or 4 new arches this year and I'd would like some ideas how to store them. I know I will be putting them up in the loft of my barn, but I just need some ideas of how to store them. Along with lights and controllers and cords and anything else I can't think of right now.

I know you guys know how to store things because I know there are a lot of people on here that have big displays, and you have to do something with all that "stuff" in the off season.

Any help would be really appreciated!! Thanks!

All of mine is in the garage---either in boxes on shelves, which fill one whole wall---or in the attic of the garage, where I have all the mini trees, arches, and other large items. I installed a pull-down ladder stair to get up there safely and easily. I also have some things on "platforms" I have built and hung with cables from hooks that are lagged into the trusses above the cars. There are a lot of creative ways to store things.

I just cleared off the side of the house last weekend, and plan to install a nice 10x10 shed for the display. I am running out of room also.

So far I've been successful in not having to pay for storage space. My lights and display items are split between my garage / attic, and my dad's garage / attic, and my brother's garage storage space.

It is definitely getting cramped as I add more stuff, but it's working....

As I told Jackie Monkhouse yesterday, another thing that has worked for me is to really pay attention to items I'm not going to use and get rid of them to get the storage space back. If you set up your display and discover lots of items still in storage that you'll never use (things you bought on sale that seemed like a good idea at the time), you may consider selling or giving them away to get that space back....

Randy

Two sheds...

The left shed only has christmas stuff on loft in it with misc stuff I don't use much.
The right shed has shelves 360 degrees around with a shelf down the middle going length ways, floor to ceiling. 75% Christmas, 20% Car restoration stuff, 5% misc

Oh, and there is security measures in place :):D:D

Attached files 256711=14128-DSCF7379.JPG

I think after reading these posts and reading other posts on other forums, I am going to build some shelves in my barn. I know I'll have plenty of room out there, but I'm worried about the animals, such as birds. I know the birds will crap all over everything if I don't protect it some how, but I'm not sure what to use, I want something more sturdy than a tarp. Any ideas?

Max-Paul wrote:

Ah a Lab that will lick you to death?

He's not one to lick first :P Just ask Dano or Ken L!

Attached files 256779=14131-IMG_1371.JPG

jem5136 wrote:

I think after reading these posts and reading other posts on other forums, I am going to build some shelves in my barn. I know I'll have plenty of room out there, but I'm worried about the animals, such as birds. I know the birds will crap all over everything if I don't protect it some how, but I'm not sure what to use, I want something more sturdy than a tarp. Any ideas?

WARNING...I had a squire caught in my shed a few yrs back, and the little bugger chewed close to 100 stings of lights! Lesson learned, I keep doors shut at all times, except when I am entering and exiting.

What about the birds though?? Those are my main concern as far as animals go. I have decided that everything will be stored in a barn, and this barn has hundreds of birds in it, and I don't want bird crap to be all over my display when I got to take everything out next year? Any ideas about covering everything without using tarps, which after a while will just fall apart?

Hey Brian, thanks for the photos of your storage. Can you tell me what size your shed is?

I am looking at a 10x10 and that will help me gauge the amount I can put in it.

Looks like you used a shoehorn to get that all in there!!

paulanator wrote:

Hey Brian, thanks for the photos of your storage. Can you tell me what size your shed is?

I am looking at a 10x10 and that will help me gauge the amount I can put in it.

Looks like you used a shoehorn to get that all in there!!

Always go one size bigger than what you think you will need. Great advice somebody gave me when I had my shed built. Actually wish I would have gone two sizes bigger, and I don't even have much display stuff in there.

jem5136 wrote:

What about the birds though?? Those are my main concern as far as animals go. I have decided that everything will be stored in a barn, and this barn has hundreds of birds in it, and I don't want bird crap to be all over my display when I got to take everything out next year? Any ideas about covering everything without using tarps, which after a while will just fall apart?

Put a Owl statue out there. The other birds don't like Owls,I use on by my Koi pond, before Owl, $300.00 meal for the herons, after Owl, no more free meals for them. I got mine at Walmart, heads move around, about 20 bucks or so.

shfr26 wrote:

jem5136 wrote:

Put a Owl statue out there.  The other birds don't like Owls,I use on by my Koi pond, before Owl, $300.00 meal for the herons, after Owl, no more free meals for them. I got mine at Walmart, heads move around, about 20 bucks or so.

I never even thought about Owls, its a good idea, thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

huskernut wrote:

I started with 4 sections of this, the express version. I will probably need more

http://www.hyloft.com/products-by-category/ceiling-storage.html

Menards has the express version which is regularly $39.99 for $29.99 and then a $20.00 rebate ( in store credit) brings it to $9.99 limit 2. It is listed as an unadvertised special but since it has a regular rebate form I assume it is on sale at all the stores.

RP