Light-O-Rama Forums

Megatree's pulley suggestions for a 30ft permanent pole?

rikerz

I will be installing my "new to me" 30ft permanent light pole in a corner of my yard and once this pole goes up, it will take ALOT to lower it back down. I would like some input on a "permanent" pulley system that won't mess up anytime soon. I was thinking stainless steel bolted/welded to a overhanging plate off the top. I also already have aircraft cable for the pulley system which worked good on my 30ft flagpole last year (no more using the flag pole for a mega tree as it puts ALOT of strain on it). Pictures of your pulley system would be SWEET! Thanks folks!!

rikerz wrote:

I was thinking stainless steel bolted/welded to a overhanging plate off the top.

That is what I did...though I don't know if you need the expense of stainless.

In the picture the pulleys are turned slightly as my ropes are on the outside of the tree instead of going down the middle where they would normally be...just have it set up to do some work on it.

This set up is holding 80 strings of 100ct C6 lights...8000 lights at about 125lbs.

I use the same pulleys on my Weber tree which is 96 strings of 100 ct C6 lights at about 150 lbs.

Pulleys are 2-1/2" from Grainger and rated at 685lbs each.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Block-4JX72?Pid=search

Attached files 256346=14082-pulleys.jpg

rikerz wrote:

Are you pulleys galvanized? How long have they been outside the the wild blue yonder when this pic was taken and have had they held up? Thanks.. Jeff

LOL..actually they are brand new...just been outside a few days as my ones from last year were cheap ones from Home Depot and started "coming apart" allowing the rope to slip off...

Picture was taken a few minutes ago...

they are zinc...click on the Grainger link above and you can see the specs on them.

On second thought...since yours will be permanent (I take mine down ever year) you probably should go with stainless.

Got any pix of the entire setup? Also, what size/type of rope is that? I was considering it but unsure of the type and size. I figured regular rock climbing rope should be ok.

Dave Batzdorf wrote:

Got any pix of the entire setup? Also, what size/type of rope is that? I was considering it but unsure of the type and size. I figured regular rock climbing rope should be ok.

what would you like to see?

the rope I use is from Home Depot...$10 for 100' length...though it does stretch a little bit under the weight...but it works for me. I also have a one winch on m y mega (two on my weber) to pull it up. I can pull my Mega up by hand if I had two people...but usually it is just me so the winch makes it easier...though I still need to pull on both ropes for it to go up easy.

rikerz wrote:

Are you pulleys galvanized? How long have they been outside in the wild blue yonder when this pic was taken and have had they held up? Thanks.. Jeff

Because they only last one night before they fall down :)

Arnoldc wrote:

rikerz wrote:
Are you pulleys galvanized? How long have they been outside in the wild blue yonder when this pic was taken and have had they held up? Thanks.. Jeff

Because they only last one night before they fall down :)

LMAO....

Why do I post my failings on here????

Oh wait...that's all I have!!!! :shock:

Dave Batzdorf wrote:

Okay...here are some pics.

Upper Left - Set Up but not all the strings attached to the bottom hoop

Upper Right - Winch Attached to Mast

Middle Left - The lights are stored on this. Just a plastic shelf with fish netting to keep it all together. This also stays with the tree during the season as the shelf is set down over the base and then the mast is inserted thru the bundle of lights/shelf/netting.

Middle Right - Close up of how the lights (which are tie wrapped to braided string) are attached to the bottom hoop. Don't look at the rust and other things...just another project I have yet to get to (maintenance).

Lower Left -Close up of winch with Muffler Clamps welded on them to attach to mast.

Lower Right - This is actually my Weber Tree...also waiting to have some strings fixed
(from when it fell down last year)

My Mega tree goes up pretty much the same way as my Weber (same concept) which you can see a video of here going up:

If there is anything else you want to see...let me know.

Attached files 256390=14086-Mega Cropped.jpg

Jim, I had one of those winches last year, I bought mine on ebay (bad decision) and it went bad after about 1/2 way up the pole the first time I used it. Now I had a electric winch and I think it is going bad as well. I need to quit buying cheap crap and the electric winch came from big box mart..:)

rikerz wrote:

Jim, I had one of those winches last year, I bought mine on ebay (bad decision) and it went bad after about 1/2 way up the pole the first time I used it. Now I had a electric winch and I think it is going bad as well. I need to quit buying cheap crap and the electric winch came from big box mart..:)

my winch cost I think $30...just a regular boat trailer winch.

rikerz wrote:

I will be installing my "new to me" 30ft permanent light pole in a corner of my yard and once this pole goes up, it will take ALOT to lower it back down. I would like some input on a "permanent" pulley system that won't mess up anytime soon. I was thinking stainless steel bolted/welded to a overhanging plate off the top. I also already have aircraft cable for the pulley system which worked good on my 30ft flagpole last year (no more using the flag pole for a mega tree as it puts ALOT of strain on it). Pictures of your pulley system would be SWEET! Thanks folks!!

Yes it does!

33' tall fiberglass flag pole + 34,000 lights + 75 mph wind gust =

Attached files 256444=14093-01-01-09_1627.jpg

Initially I used ropes. Then they were changed to steel cables with a winch. The pulley were changed to be more beaffy and also the eye bolts were changed to forged eyes with a bold.

Chuck

Attached files 256471=14094-100_2178_1.JPG

rikerz wrote:

Chuck, what is that piece of metal on top a part of?

Looks like a 6" piece of channel iron...
I'm diggin that idea, for sure!!!

Quick question. All have Great ideas. But the one I have yet to really see an answer on. Is, How do you get the toppers on the tops? Specially the ones over 10 feet tall.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Quick question. All have Great ideas. But the one I have yet to really see an answer on. Is, How do you get the toppers on the tops? Specially the ones over 10 feet tall.

Here`s how i get mine on my 20 foot tree.2 inch galvanized pipes.

Dans013.jpg

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I perfer this method...&docid=Jl5-XS7QeIIPUM&w=350&h=335&ei=e7Y8TvOwNOns0gHh2bHEAw&zoom=1

&docid=Jl5-XS7QeIIPUM&w=350&h=335&ei=b7Y8TunSDKHL0QGMvuDpAw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=263&page=2&tbnh=139&tbnw=145&start=43&ndsp=44&ved=1t:429,r:22,s:43&tx=111&ty=101

But when that fails, I usually either put up the scaffolding I acquired a few years ago, or put it on before I raise the pole.

&docid=Jl5-XS7QeIIPUM&w=350&h=335&ei=e7Y8TvOwNOns0gHh2bHEAw&zoom=1

item.JPG?rot=1item.JPG?rot=1

This is my design I have used for the last couple of year. My pole from ground to top is about 30 feet. I only have 60 strings on it but it can handle much more. The pic on right is the top of tree and on left is the part that goes up and sort of fits into the top.