Light-O-Rama Forums

Any problems with Showtime Controller w/ mp3 director

chrisl1976

Has anyone had any issues with the showtime director not functioning as it should with a network of showtime controllers (7 of them). I need it to work as a triggered system through a push button which after talking to Dan, it seemed to be possible to cycle show files from the push of a button.

If anyone has used this kind of push button set up, where/who did you get your button from. Need a weather resistant button setup.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks.

Anyone have a source for weather resistant rugged buttons? I figure the parking people will restart the show and walk to the box the button is on. Hit the button to restart the show. I'd like to use something somewhat tough in case it gets banged pretty hard.

I figure a 50' extension cord would work as a leash from the controller to the button box. Cut the ends off and wire it up. Any thoughts on the length? bad? work fine?

on the 50' extension cord would work as a leash from the controller to the button box.

you may look in a 12v relay at the controller then use the 50' extension cord to the button, as I don't think +5v with a on-board resistor. One or more of these input pins is connected to the GRND pin through your trigger switches.

also with a relay will Isolation between the controller and button:-)

as I don't think +5v with a on-board resistor. One or more of these input pins is connected to the GRND pin through your trigger switches.

also with a relay will Isolation between the controller and button:-)

Thanks, I did not realize it was +5v. If I remember right, 5v does not like long distant runs. So than I would use a 12v power supply along with the 12v relay to trip the +5v circuit on the controller. Use the 12v circuit to run the button from. I know 12v and longer runs is fine as I have a couple 50' runs on my front yard now. :)

That sound about right?

Don't know how fancy or how much you want to spend, but Graingers have some outdoor buttons that would be excellent! I was going to send a link but their website is down right now.

chrisl1976 wrote:

Has anyone had any issues with the showtime director not functioning as it should with a network of showtime controllers (7 of them).  I need it to work as a triggered system through a push button which after talking to Dan, it seemed to be possible to cycle  show files from the push of a button.

If anyone has used this kind of push button set up, where/who did you get your button from.  Need a weather resistant button setup. 

Thanks for any help.

Check out Skycraft surplus parts - large red, green and blue 2" diameter plastic pushbuttons for $6 each. They have 12 volt bulbs to illuminate them, but I don't use those, as I have them in a bright enclosure..
Greg

Greg Young wrote:

Check out Skycraft surplus parts - large red, green and blue 2" diameter plastic pushbuttons for $6 each. They have 12 volt bulbs to illuminate them, but I don't use those, as I have them in a bright enclosure..
Greg

Thats a nice find. Here's a link to the buttons at Skycraft. http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/2inchpushbuttonlightedgameswitch-assortedcolors.aspx

chrisl1976 wrote:

I figure a 50' extension cord would work as a leash from the controller to the button box. Cut the ends off and wire it up. Any thoughts on the length? bad? work fine?

Yikes... 50' extension cord seems like a waste of money when it could be used to power stuff instead. :P

I'd use Cat-5 cable or something... if your losing power because of the extend length, just twist a few pairs together. :)

• 1 month later...

Any standard 22mm push button like this one should work fine. These are used in industrial settings so they will take any abuse you can throw at them. You can even get them illuminated if you want.

http://products.schneider-electric.us/products-services/product-detail/?event=productDetail&countryCode=us&partNumber=ZB4BA36