Light-O-Rama Forums

Fireworks

colonel

Has anyone integrated fireworks (starbursts) into sequences? Something easier than running outside and lighting a fuse? I'm thinking Christmas and more of a Disney effect than a 4th presentation. Saturday nights, 9-10pm!

Thanks!

Are you referring to real fireworks, not just animated fireworks? If so, yes, I put an entire show on using the LOR boards hooked to 96 cues firing off several hundred cakes.

If doing more than one cake/reloadable get it all fused up. Wrap the fuse with nichrome wire, leaving an inch or so of wire at each end. You'll need wires coming from LOR box for each cue with alligator clips at one end. Wrap the dangling nichrome wire around each clip. When firing the cue you'll need to set the intensity between 5% and 10% power. Much more than that and the nichrome will burn up before the fuse lights. 5-10 makes it red hot, but not break.

I laid out the timings on a spreadsheet then incorporated that into an LOR animation sequence. It worked perfectly fine, but the amount of wires I had in a small area was just too much. For a few cues it'd be much better.

grodq wrote:

Are you referring to real fireworks, not just animated fireworks?  If so, yes, I put an entire show on using the LOR boards hooked to 96 cues firing off several hundred cakes.

Yes, that is what I am looking for! I want to start with a simple single air burst and only a few. The BOOM in the 1812 Overature would be a good place to do one or more.

Is there a good place online to find pyro stuff?

Thanks!

The fireworks "industry folks" frowns upon using LOR in lighting fireworks because there is no "safety" feature in case of a problem. Once the wiring is hooked up, its hot so to speak. I think it would work fine and have asked this same question on here a year or so ago...

rikerz wrote:

The fireworks "industry folks" frowns upon using LOR in lighting fireworks because there is no "safety"

Having worked around "bombs", I can understand the safety issue. I've seen my lights flicker on occassion (programming error) and at $5 a "pop", I am only planning one tube and one launch at a time. A large red LAUNCH button and a checklist would be right up my alley! Save the LOR for twinkles. :)

I'd agree on the safety aspect. Between Christmas and the 4th I had a board go bad and one of the channels was always on. I plugged in the boards and bam there goes a cake. No one was around it, but you get the idea.

For Indiana you could try http://www.boomtownfireworks.com/default.aspx

or http://waynesworldfireworks.com/

or sign up for http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/ lots of info over there.

Being from Missouri I have no shortage of places to buy a few pallets of fireworks.

• 4 weeks later...

There would be a way of doing this, A firing system company could make their controllers compatible with LOR's lighting software, this could provide a safe and affordable way for a LOR user to use pyrotechnics safely in a lightshow. Just my thought on this.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Get a couple of relays in series and wire them to two channels on seperate controllers; If both channels are not on, it doesn't go. Prevents or reduces mis-fires.

2. Put a safety button in series with the pyro and wire it as a deadman switch; it doesn't go unless someone is holding the button down.

Maybe both of the above. Just a fleeting thought for safety.

Here in Round Rock, TX our 4th of July fireworks were cancelled and moved to December 9th. The fireworks are visible from my house and people will be able to watch both at the same time, but I don't have any hope of getting in sync with them.