Light-O-Rama Forums

Pulled off a LED

jimswinder

Pulled off a C6 LED from my Mega tree tonight while hoisting it up...

Can I fix this by just soldering the two wires that WERE attached to the LED together (without worrying it will blow out some of the other lights)...or do I need to put the LED there so the voltage is correct?

I would solder the C6 back on, but it pulled the wires completely from the base of the bulb.

OR...

Does anyone know of any glue/silicone that is conductive? Then I could just strip the wires and glue them back into the base where there are some small bare wire leads.

jimswinder wrote:

Pulled off a C6 LED from my Mega tree tonight while hoisting it up...

Can I fix this by just soldering the two wires that WERE attached to the LED together (without worrying it will blow out some of the other lights)...or do I need to put the LED there so the voltage is correct?

I would solder the C6 back on, but it pulled the wires completely from the base of the bulb.

OR...

Does anyone know of any glue/silicone that is conductive? Then I could just strip the wires and glue them back into the base where there are some small bare wire leads.

Here I thought you learned your lesson last year.. Yes you can solder them back in place, that would be the best solution.. You could do a combo deal where you solder it and to make sure its watertight so to speak, put silicone glue around it..

Arnoldc wrote:

Here I thought you learned your lesson last year.. Yes you can solder them back in place, that would be the best solution.. You could do a combo deal where you solder it and to make sure its watertight so to speak, put silicone glue around it..

okay..excuse my denseness..but by "them" do you mean the wires or the LED?

and no...I don't learn from my mistakes.... :dude:

LEDs are current devices and in strings they are connected in series so by bridging out the LED you will then increase the current draw across the remaining LEDs in that series circuit thus decreasing their life span

The percentage may only be small depending on how many LEDs go into making up one series circuit and thus may not be worth worrying about as the increase in current across the remaining LEDs may only be minor.

Jim,

What is the vendor that you purchased your LEDs from?

I purchase all of mine from Paul at CDI and have been successful in repairing and in some cases even replacing LEDs with out soldering.

Chuck

edvas69 wrote:

LEDs are current devices and in strings they are connected in series so by bridging out the LED you will then increase the current draw across the remaining LEDs in that series circuit thus decreasing their life span

The percentage may only be small depending on how many LEDs go into making up one series circuit and thus may not be worth worrying about as the increase in current across the remaining LEDs may only be minor.

so this is a 100ct string, and I believe made in 3 different sections right?

So 33 bulbs per circuit?

Guess I need to find some conductive glue...is JB weld conductive?

cmoore60 wrote:

Jim,

What is the vendor that you purchased your LEDs from?

I purchase all of mine from Paul at CDI and have been successful in repairing and in some cases even replacing LEDs with out soldering.

Chuck

They are Pauls...if I had another bad string of C6 reds..I would just take one off and do that.

I guess I could replace this string and then I WOULD have my spare string I could then Cannibalize...

cmoore60 wrote:

Jim,

PM sent

this is what Chuck sent me...in case anyone else is confronted with this problem:

With some CARE the bases for the LEDs will come apart. The little groove below the lens if you take a pair of diagonal pliers and carefully work that apart from the bottom part of the base. This should slide out of the bottom sleeve part. Then the inner base has a section that will lift off. PAY ATTENTION TO HOW THIS COME APART.

At this point you have the legs of the LED exposed. If the wires pulled out of the contacts you will have the contacts there. You will notice one of the LED leads is longer than the other.

YOU MAY have to take one of the LED's adjacent to the problem apart to see how it is wired. The wire that goes on the short LED lead comes from the long LED from the bulb next to it...and etc.

Chuck

THANKS CHUCK!!! :P

jimswinder wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:

okay..excuse my denseness..but by "them" do you mean the wires or the LED?

and no...I don't learn from my mistakes.... :dude:

LOL my bad, total misread! Ill go back in the corner and think what Ive done..

Tim Herberger wrote:

ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

would have taken pics...but the camera is in my laptop backpack...which is at work so I can sequence during lunch...

don't bother to bring it home everyday as I ride my Harley to work... :cool:

Picture an C6 LED with no wires in it...and two wires still on the string with no LED...

BINGO!!! :P

EDIT:

No...mine is NOT the type with the clip on the lens...

Attached files 256043=14061-led copy.jpg

Tim Herberger wrote:

I'm sorry you can't afford a phone with a descent camera...:P

lol..ME TOO!!!!

but with LOR you have to make sacrifices somewhere...

and my TracFone does me good!! :D

Tim Herberger wrote:

What scares me is my parents just figured out how to txt... They won't stop.. I'm sure Jim would do the same thing! Who knows what pics he would be posting!

Arnoldc wrote:

Tim Herberger wrote:

What scares me is my parents just figured out how to txt... They won't stop.. I'm sure Jim would do the same thing! Who knows what pics he would be posting!

lol

sorry...but have NEVER understood the texting craze...just pick up the damn phone and TELL me what you want me to know!!!! lol

jimswinder wrote:

lol

sorry...but have NEVER understood the texting craze...just pick up the damn phone and TELL me what you want me to know!!!! lol

Hey Jim -

I'm in the same boat with you. If you want to tell me something, then TELL me, don't WRITE to me.

On the other hand I can see where texting could be useful in an emergency and you're in a meeting or some other place that shouldn't be disturbed... messages like "your wife was in an accident" or "mom died" are ones you might want to get no matter where you are or what you're doing. Maybe even "we won the lottery!" would be nice to know right away.

All that being said, I feel texting is just another intrusion on my life. I have had my mobile company turn off texting on my family's phones. I'm not (self) important enough to want to be interrupted by anyone at any time.

My motto is, "Weave... me... a... cone... yoo... cupid... bat"

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

D.T.

Attached files 256086=14064-weave.GIF

Arnoldc wrote:

Tim Herberger wrote:

Excellent point! :D

Jeff Millard wrote:

Tim Herberger wrote:
I'm sorry you can't afford a phone with a descent camera...:(

I'm sorry you can't afford a computer with a decent spell checker...:(

Jeff

No, Jeff, I think he's talking about the video game, Descent, where you fly a space ship underground and blast the mining robots... He clearly wants a new camera for his ship... :P

D.T.