Light-O-Rama Forums

CCB'S FOR A MEGA TREE

shredocaaster

Just imagine... no more "just" swirl left, swirl right BUT Up, Down, Swirls in increments ... oh boy... WHEN ARE THESE A COMING?

I'm shooting for when S3, the Summer Sale, CCF's come out. I believe around Christmas 2045. However, based on the recent activity surrounding these topics, if it doesn't happen soon all hell might break loose! :)

Speaking of using CCB's for a mega tree....I would think that bulb orientation would be important for the look and being able to display images/text. If that is the case, how to mount these babies while having the overall look be presentable during daylight hours?

If you mount to a aircraft cable, I would think they would spin around it. PVC pipe would look kinda crazy (and maybe be too rigid). Wood ferring strips would make it too heavy and easy to break. Any thoughts?

how about 1/2" steel banding, I was thinking of the same problem and just realized I've got rolls of it from my last expansion project. this requires more thought and of course 48 strands of CCB's. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on the same project I was thinking the same thing though what to use for materials I want something to support it though incase if something comes flying into the yard again and hits it I am still ticked off that someones big plastic thingy flew in my yard last year and snapped about 4 or 5 candy cane stakes

• 2 weeks later...

PVC spacers every two feet works well and keeps costs down. Need only 4 guy wires to hold the spacer in place. I used 1/2" black flex water pipe which comes in 50 ft. rolls. The make connectors which work well also. Place screws into the spacers where you want your wire to rest to keep them from sliding around the rings. Send me PM and I can send you a PDF file with presentation on Ups and Downs of Sprial Trees which has more photos and discusion.

JD

Attached files 259416=14367-Sprial Spacer Rings.JPG

JD, you lost me on the screws in the spacers part. Why wouldn't you use zip ties? I assume you are using zip ties to hold the flex water pipe in place on the guy wires. Then again...that may make them slip down.

WayneKremer wrote:

JD, you lost me on the screws in the spacers part. Why wouldn't you use zip ties? I assume you are using zip ties to hold the flex water pipe in place on the guy wires. Then again...that may make them slip down.

I used Braided line for my guy wires...that way I could push the zip ties THRU the line and not worry about the lights slipping down...

I used the zip ties to hold the spacers to the guy wires and had no problem with slippage. My suggestion on using screws is to space the rest of strands of lights around the spacer to eliminate the need for all the tie wraps. I spent over 12 hours in a bucket adding 72 tie wraps on each spacer ring and it was awful. I realized later that the screws will do fine to space and hold the wire strands in place. You just need to spend the time on the ground to put the screws in. Measure the circumference of your ring, and divide by number of strands. Easy enough.

JD Schuck wrote:

I realized later that the screws will do fine to space and hold the wire strands in place. You just need to spend the time on the ground to put the screws in. Measure the circumference of your ring, and divide by number of strands. Easy enough.

I would be worried about the wire being chafed by the wind and constantly rubbing up against the the threads of the screws...

Jeff Millard wrote:

... and, I would: listen to this man! He has great experience in the field of falling things...

Jeff

especially in the field of me falling on my face!!!! :P

Simply replace with a large tie wrap. Your just creating a ledge for the wire to rest against. You will find that when you wrap a spiral tree the strands become rather tight and flopping about as you incur with a standard mega tree does not become as evident. Acutally the wrapping puts the strands into tension if anything. There are plastic screws available. Not rcommending using sheetrock screws.

Jeff Millard wrote:

so if it falls down... I'll know who to blame! :P

Yeah..and his first name starts with a "J"!! :?

Thanks JD for the insight. There really isn't a reason to put CCB's into a spiral...since you can animate the spiral...and I assume everyone is very talented at RGB animation across many CCB's/CCR's. :P

Anyhow, the rings should allow the CCB's to have something to attach from top to bottom and allow most of them to point straight out if zip tied correctly. It would probably be a safer bet than hanging them from the top (with no support on the way down) and letting them shread in the wind/snow. I just don't think they are going to be as bulletproof as a regular string of lights.

Wayne

Jeff Millard wrote:

Naw, I'm married... it's Dawn's fault!!! :D:D:P

Jeff

now, why would you assume I meant you, Jeff? :P

It could have been JD...

or that piece of vermin named Jim Swinder....

WayneKremer wrote:

Speaking of using CCB's for a mega tree....I would think that bulb orientation would be important for the look and being able to display images/text.  If that is the case, how to mount these babies while having the overall look be presentable during daylight hours?

If you mount to a aircraft cable, I would think they would spin around it.  PVC pipe would look kinda crazy (and maybe be too rigid).  Wood ferring strips would make it too heavy and easy to break.  Any thoughts?

You could make it flat: http://theultimatetree.com/

• The topic was locked