Light-O-Rama Forums

C B Tower

shfr26

Was thinking about getting a 3 leg CB tower for a mega or midi tree and found one I can get 2 sections, the top and one more section for $50.00. That would make it about 18-20 of tower. Has anyone used this before or do you think it is a waste of money? I think this would be good and sturdy, and easy to store and put up and take down. I can get all 40 plus feet for $100.00, but would not know what to do will the rest of it. Any thoughts?

I think you should get all 40 feet! The bigger, the better right??

How can you make a lightning rod and store the energy for use later? One good zap should power the season.

shfr26 wrote:

Was thinking about getting a 3 leg CB tower for a mega or midi tree and found one I can get 2 sections, the top and one more section for $50.00. That would make it about 18-20 of tower. Has anyone used this before or do you think it is a waste of money? I think this would be good and sturdy, and easy to store and put up and take down. I can get all 40 plus feet for $100.00, but would not know what to do will the rest of it. Any thoughts?
the weber300 folks used one to do both a mega/weber tree and it looked awesome. will take lots of lights, and yes zip ties, plus a lift but if you have access to all that then go for it. I would but am afraid of heights so using a lift is out.

I am using a 33' tall fiberglass flag pole but if I ever need to upgrade that is exactly what I plan on using.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Pete,

I had one of them things on my house about 10 years ago. It was 40' in 4 ten foot sections. It took 4 people lifting and 2 holding rope to get it down and we almost crashed doing it. To this day I could kick myself for taking it down. After seeing Jim's big tree I really wish I still had it. I used to climb up and put a big star on it. Can you imagine Logan's Star up 40'? The neighbor's still mention it each time I'm putting the display up.

I'd do it again if I could find one cheap, but I wouldn't consider taking it down each year, them things are heavy!!! Unless you can find the jig they use to put them up. It clamps to a section and sticks up about 5' beyond the next section. It has a block and tackle to heave each section up. Two people can put up 50' in under an hour...

Jeff
That pole if you are interested is called a "Gin Pole". Put up a few towers myself and used one to put a replacement antenna up on a 190' tower. Lots of fun back then.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Pete,

Can you imagine Logan's Star up 40'?
Jeff

Jeff, what's a Logan Star?

Thanks Sir. I did a search for Logan Star and could not find it.
That's awesome!

That's the type of tower that I use for my mega tree, I use 1 full section and 3/4 of another section with 2' of it in the ground. This gives me about a 15' mega tree with 3500 c9s on it, that's the only thing that will hold that much weight. Just be sure to use guy-wires for anything over 10'. This is a video of my mega tree on the left.
http://vimeo.com/17908235

Earle

EARLE W. TALLEY wrote:

That's the type of tower that I use for my mega tree, I use 1 full section and 3/4 of another section with 2' of it in the ground. This gives me about a 15' mega tree with 3500 c9s on it, that's the only thing that will hold that much weight. Just be sure to use guy-wires for anything over 10'. This is a video of my mega tree on the left.
http://vimeo.com/17908235

Earle

What are your lights doing as they travel around your arch? It almost looks like strobes.

The arches were changed from the previous year (incans.) to cool white leds this year. These are the 50 count leds that were on sale at Lowe's for $3.33 and with the $3.00 off coupon many people bought these for $.33 a box. It just made for a brighter arch. Each section has 100 lights and each arch has 7 sections.

Earle

EARLE W. TALLEY wrote:

The arches were changed from the previous year (incans.) to cool white leds this year. These are the 50 count leds that were on sale at Lowe's for $3.33 and with the $3.00 off coupon many people bought these for $.33 a box. It just made for a brighter arch. Each section has 100 lights and each arch has 7 sections.

Earle

But the ones in that video? Are they led, or incans?

BrownOut wrote:

Thanks Donny.

I just found a job that I would never be able to do. And part of the job is just changing a single light bulb.

http://www.iviewtube.com/videos/167824/climbing-up-the-tallest-antenna-tower-1,768-feet

HOLEEE CRAPPP!

I hope those guys make a fair wage, or that there is gold or something good up there! And why did that guy have to keep looking down?!?!

Those CB antenna towers are great for mega trees. This past Christmas for our 1st year we used a 40 ft tower sunk about 2 ft in the ground and supported by 3 guy wires. Properly supported, it was a breeze to climb to the top, hook up a pulley system, and have friends pull lights up to me.
It showed no problem supporting 48,000 incan lights plus my weight at the top while hanging them.
I vote get the full 40 ft, but negotiate it all down to $50.B)

Megatreetop.jpg

Christmas light show video here

Good luck!

sebringguy00 wrote:

Those CB antenna towers are great for mega trees. This past Christmas for our 1st year we used a 40 ft tower sunk about 2 ft in the ground and supported by 3 guy wires. Properly supported, it was a breeze to climb to the top, hook up a pulley system, and have friends pull lights up to me.
It showed no problem supporting 48,000 incan lights plus my weight at the top while hanging them.
I vote get the full 40 ft, but negotiate it all down to $50.B)

Christmas light show video here

Good luck!

I like it! Send us a link to the video. Can't wait to see it in action.

-Logan

Jeff Millard wrote:

sebringguy00 wrote:
Megatreetop.jpg

Very nice to see you in that safety harness! That's a bunch of lights! WTG!

Jeff
Would me more concerned about the MONSTER wedgie he would receive if he fell