Light-O-Rama Forums

Extending Controller Wires

mcompanik

Has anyone tried extending the controller wires? I am talking about the wires that go from the controller to the ribbon itself (the 4 white ones). After a failed attempt at a waterproof enclosure last year that fried my controller, I would like to place the controller and power supply in my enclosure that I use for my LOR controllers (7'x7' rubbermaid shed) and then just run the 4 wires to the ribbon. I think the furthest run will be about 50 feet. I was able to find the black plastic ends through Allied Electronics (Item # 512-0272 if anyone needs them).

There should be an extender cable available from LOR later this year. Distance/price unknown. Expect 10-20 feet.

The thing to remember is Ohms law. Or in this case what we call the I*R drop. In most cases 10 - 20 feet it might not be an issue. But 50 feet may or may not be an issue in this application. Sounds like no one so far has tried this distance. So, you will be a pioneer by being the first. Good luck and hope it works for you. Do please come back and share your experience with the rest of us. Include the gauge of wire that you used.

In another thread a member was asking about extending the length on a CCB. LOR John spoke up in the thread and said they tried on the CCB to make longer lead wire and the operationg became irractice. So besides the power loss for longer cable you also have to look at what happens on the data lines. From my understanding of the CCR and CCB products. The four wires are something such as, DC+, DC-, Signal + and Signal -. The 10 feet or so that Jeff mentions in his thread on extension, MAY be about as far as can be extended without having irratic performance.

Chuck

Worth noting that the extender cable is currently slated for the CCR's. I don't know about any upcoming extender cables for CCF's or CCB's.

• The topic was locked