Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 supports E1.31

Donny M. Carter

Was reading some stuff on PC forum and someone said S3 will support E1.31 sometime after the first release. I have the idmx but wanted something simple and cheaper to run some dmx stuff. In plain English please, is E1.31 something that will be good for us dmx wanna-be's?

E1.31 is, essentially, DMX over Ethernet. So for S3 to support E1.31, it needs to be putting out DMX protocol commands over an Ethernet port via IP. Which means that S3 needs to be able to put out native DMX over any kind of port, such as a DMX dongle.

So, S3 needs to support native DMX output, rather than just LOR protocol output.

If S3 will output DMX, then it is possible for it to support E1.31.

None of this will make it any easier or not easier for a given situation. If you have DMX based fixtures, such as moving lights or a DMX controller, and are now using an iDMX, then if S3 outputs DMX, you could just move the DMX devices off the iDMX and connect them to a DMX dongle.

Or if you had a E1.31->DMX gateway and S3 supports E1.31, you could just connect the gateway to your home Ethernet network and S3 could put output via the Ethernet port on your computer.

There are several DIY E1.31->DMX gateways available and lots of commercial ones as well. Expect to pay upwards of $500 for the commercial ones, much less for the DIY variety.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Just be aware - I don't know what S3 will support. Some rumblings posted in various places are saying that S3 will be supporting native DMX in some way, but not E1.31 at first release.

Until it shows up, or you get Dan or someone from LOR to confirm officially, all bets are off.

I don't want to be accused of starting ANY rumors, even though Mr. Bottomley and I live within an hour of each other, and occasionally talk on the phone...

• 6 months later...

Denny,

That's the plan. Bob says that this is coming "soon" (but keep in mind our (users) definition of "soon" is different that LOR's)

I would hope to see something no later than mid-year.

Our definition of soon is about 20 minutes or so. I just want more info in what capacity it will be. If I can start buying the equippment to run the show with 1.31 I will. I have the LOR Advanced, and SS 2. Im ready!

Don wrote:

Denny,

That's the plan. Bob says that this is coming "soon" (but keep in mind our (users) definition of "soon" is different that LOR's)

I would hope to see something no later than mid-year.

Don,

I would be happy if "Soon" as defined by LOR were the end of August. Right now, I am more concerned about procuring the hardware and constructing some lighting strings. Have been following the forums over at http://auschristmaslighting.com/ . I would hate to go through all that expense and time not to be able to implement it through LOR. Right now, I am leaning towards the Joshua 1 Systems, or possibly Stellascapes, for individual pixel control. Seems it might be more cost effective to use those systems and make pixel strings than to use multiple colors of LED strings for a mega tree. That mega tree at http://www.stellascapes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=58 really got my attention.

Denny,

I saw that tree too. :shock: outrageous! I am going to start with baby steps this year. I am adding a 7 foot 16 RGB channel spiral tree and a few 6803 and dumb strip features for 2012. And let the old sages like George get a year of 1.31 under their belts. Even if I upgrade to 1.31 next year 2013, the nodes and strings still can be used , worst case is I ditch a few of the 6$ controllers. But I would think I could still run regular dmx alongside 1.31 just out of separate ports. So I could still add a smart pixel tree in 1.31 in 2013. Besides I have already blown my 2012 budget:dude:

bretk wrote:

Denny,

I saw that tree too. :shock: outrageous! I am going to start with baby steps this year. I am adding a 7 foot 16 RGB channel spiral tree and a few 6803 and dumb strip features for 2012. And let the old sages like George get a year of 1.31 under their belts. Even if I upgrade to 1.31 next year 2013, the nodes and strings still can be used , worst case is I ditch a few of the 6$ controllers. But I would think I could still run regular dmx alongside 1.31 just out of separate ports. So I could still add a smart pixel tree in 1.31 in 2013. Besides I have already blown my 2012 budget:dude:

Bret,
Don't think I will shoot for anything as elaborate as that tree this year, but would like to do a 12 channel one. Thinking about using the 2801 pixels. I may just do a grid this year, but a small version of that tree is tempting. I, too, will continue to use the DMX along side, if LOR releases a 1.31 update. I have quite a bit of DMX, thanks largely to Greg (Pondude), that I really like. I was thinking I may use some of the 6803 pixels on my wireframes -- they wouldn't change colors, but it would solve the problem of getting the correct colors in the right places on the frame.

• The topic was locked