Light-O-Rama Forums

Wireless DMX

bob_moody

I saw this product over at cheaplights.com

http://www.cheaplights.com/cart/page35.html

I was wondering does/would this device any place/use in a LOR/DMX system?

I am speaking of course about the 134-Rebel Wireless DMX device.

"Wireless DMX512 Transmitter/Receiver. Each unit can be used as a transmitter or receiver. Communication distance 450 ft. LCD display. 4 selectable transmitting power ratings. Max transmitting power 20dBm. Receive sensitive -94dBm. 16 Channel ID groups (16 individual wireless net groups that won't interfere with each other in the same room). Unit size 6x4.5x1.75 weight 3 Lbs. for more info visit www.stageape.com. ***You must have 2 of these units one as a transmitter and one as a receiver **"

Bob

Bob,

So what are you trying to accomplish? There are cheaper ways to go wireless DMX. Leveraging LOR and something like Lynx which is a DIY product. I use that today and it will be cheaper than trying to use this product. Yes you will need one of these per branch you are trying to split.

Give us more details about your set up and what you are trying to control.

Hi Zman,

Actually I was just making conversation about the product. I currently do not have any DMX elements in my display. But it is nice to know there are alternatives.

There are a few DMX items I would like to eventually add and maybe with the release of the new DMX interface I'm hearing about it might make it a little more affordable to add them.

I appreciate the response.

Bob

bob_moody wrote:

Hi Zman,

Actually I was just making conversation about the product. I currently do not have any DMX elements in my display. But it is nice to know there are alternatives.

There are a few DMX items I would like to eventually add and maybe with the release of the new DMX interface I'm hearing about it might make it a little more affordable to add them.

I appreciate the response.

Bob

Hi Bob - I agree with Mark - the DIY community has some GREAT products - the Lynx line is AMAZING and will admit I am using a LOT of it in my display. There are many people (from DIY) who run a mix of LOR & DMX hardware and even software.

I know this will be discuses at the Academy in August in Conroe, TX - I will also have almost one of every piece of hardware there if you want to check it out.

Harrison

Hi Harrision,

Good to hear from you again.

Thanks for the reply and I would love to see the DMX solutions that you have.

However, I am no longer an LSH member so I will have to gather what I can from the forums.

I appreciate the offer though.

Bob

Yup, there are a great many of us leveraging DMX in a mixed environment. At Expo, I believe LOR will finally pull the covers off the plans for the cheap DMX, S3 etc... That only goes to re-inforce that DMX is the gateway into new and different lighting options.

Keep asking questions.

• The topic was locked