Light-O-Rama Forums

Lighting Ceremony

jstorms

Last year was my first year doing a computerized show and when we started the show I was just happy that it came on.

This year I think we may actually have people show up to see the lights go on (Wednesday before Thanksgiving).

I'm curious what people do the first time they light up the show. Do people just turn them on? Do you do something special to make it an event?

Severex, who got me started with LOR, has an opening ceremony at 8:00 p.m. on the first Saturday after Thanksgiving. He gets a permit from the city to close the street in front of the 2 houses, and has several hundred people present.

Of course this was started years after he started with the animated lights, so it may be a bit early for you. How many email addresses do you have on your Christmas light visitor list?

My second year I had a Lighting Ceremony on the Saturday after Thanksgiving with a very Special Guest, who is also a family friend, Zack Lystedt:

I actually have TWO lighting ceremonies...one on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and the first, for family members, after our Thanksgiving Dinner.

The Thanksgiving Ceremony is not advertised, but most of the neighborhood knows it is going to happen, so there is usually well over 50 people in attendance.

So am currently looking for a "local personality" to "Push The Button" for this years lighting ceremony...hopefully it will be Judy Pancoast if she tours again!!!

I was thinking of having a draw this year.

All the kids that show up will have their names put into a box ... a name would drawn to see who pushes the button.

Mind you ... we do have a local radio host that lives in town ... hmmmm.

Dave

Guest Don Gillespie

After a long hard year of programing I invite all of my past customers for the light up we end up with about 50 to 60 people when the lights actually start thier faces tell the story of why I do this it is a great feeling, then i pour myself a big glass crown Royal load it up with ice and watch the show :D

I'm planning on doing several concert style (full volume) shows. I hadn't thought about a lighting ceremony before.
Good idea though!

No ceremony here, doubt I will ever do one.

I just copy everything to the SD card using the LOR HWU, then plug my SD card in the night before the 1st show(1st show is Halloween), and then allow it to start up using my LOR DC-MP3 Showtime Director. Then just allow the show to run its course until time to remove the SD card and tear the display down, reprogram the SD card for the next show and start the process all over again for the 2nd show of the season, Christmas.

After that, it's back to sequencing for the show for the next year (or the same year if you leave your show running thriough the New Year). I usually tear mine down before Jan. 1.

I can remember the first season animated. Had a bunch of the neighbor friends and personal friends over for the "ceremony" (any excuse to party!). One comment was made afterwards, "Whats the big deal he's turning on some Christmas lights."

Then the show lit off, and he understood. Now its an annual tradition that we all look forward to it.

I just turn them on the night after Thanksgiving. No one seems interested in coming to a Lights On Party.

CKSedg wrote:

I just turn them on the night after Thanksgiving.  No one seems interested in coming to a Lights On Party.

I am with you. No one is ever here when the lights come on each day at 4:30pm each day. And the first day is a moving target with testing and tweaking for several days before the first day. SO I just tell people Sunday after Thanksgiving just in case.

I advertise a lighting ceremony but don't get a big crowd. About 5 minutes before they come on, a half dozen cars pull onto the street and few friends and family come over.
The funnest year was the year I upgraded from S1 to S2 and forgot to convert several of my filler sequences up to S2 and the show basically blew up just repeating one sequence over and over. I had to take the show offline and do some quick scrambling to get something working till I could figure out what I did wrong. Everyone said I was pretty entertaining running around like a madman trying to figure it out.

jimswinder wrote:

My second year I had a Lighting Ceremony on the Saturday after Thanksgiving with a very Special Guest, who is also a family friend, Zack Lystedt: 

I actually have TWO lighting ceremonies...one on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and the first, for family members, after our Thanksgiving Dinner.

The Thanksgiving Ceremony is not advertised, but most of the neighborhood knows it is going to happen, so there is usually well over 50 people in attendance.

So am currently looking for a "local personality" to "Push The Button" for this years lighting ceremony...hopefully it will be Judy Pancoast if she tours again!!!

Jim,

I used to live in West Seattle......pay for the trip I'll come out and push the button :)

thedementedeld wrote:

Jim,

I used to live in West Seattle......pay for the trip I'll come out and push the button ;)

Cool...what part?

Where are you now?

jimswinder wrote:

thedementedeld wrote:
Jim,

I used to live in West Seattle......pay for the trip I'll come out and push the button ;)

Cool...what part?

Where are you now?

I'm now in South Carolina....back in 1990 after moving out there I got a job with Public Storage. I ran the one on Delridge Way. I can't remember the side street, but it was near what was then a K Mart and right next door to the Tug Tavern. I also lived in Puyallup, Port Angeles, and Port Orchard. I used to work for Payless Drugs then Bartells.

thedementedeld wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
thedementedeld wrote:
Jim,

Cool...what part?

Where are you now?

I'm now in South Carolina....back in 1990 after moving out there I got a job with Public Storage. I ran the one on Delridge Way. I can't remember the side street, but it was near what was then a K Mart and right next door to the Tug Tavern. I also lived in Puyallup, Port Angeles, and Port Orchard. I used to work for Payless Drugs then Bartells.

Wow...I was thinking of coming to South Carolina to the new Boeing plant in Charleston...

and that K-Mart is now a Home Depot...