Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting ready to buy a 32 channel starter package. What would you do different?

EvilM0nkey

Brian Mitchell wrote:

And to answer the two questions you will ask before you ask them....

Yes, you can save your channel setup and animation to use in other new sequences. Edit-Export Configuration.

Yes, you can play back just part of the sequence and not start from the beginning each time. Play-Play Range

It's been a couple weeks since someone has asked these so I figured they were due. :P

I didn't figure out how to save my configuration until I had about 7 sequences finished. That has saved me a ton of time

These are the sequences/songs I did in 2010 for my Spouse (she requested them) for Christmas:

Where Are You Christmas

Welcome Christmas

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

And I recommend get the ADVANCED License. It opens a lot of additional options to you in the Sequence Editor. I started with Basic+ and moved up to Advances very shortly (within a week or two) seeing that I wanted unlimited controller option and able to use all the wizards built into the software.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Mine was "...Hippopotamus for Christmas" What's yours?

She insisted on "Christmas at Ground Zero" (because she used to work in the high-tech defense industry in Silicon Valley.)

I see what you mean about the thread direction now lol :}

I have a few sequences I'm messing with now. We'll see how this goes.

Ok so I'm assuming the "wizzards" aren't available in the demo mode? Timing is kicking my butt doing this manually.
When I try to use any of the wizzards I get "Can't init conversion"

EvilM0nkey wrote:

Ok so I'm assuming the "wizzards" aren't available in the demo mode? Timing is kicking my butt doing this manually.
When I try to use any of the wizzards I get "Can't init conversion"

Sorry, just now saw this.

In the past when I've encountered that error, I simply ran the file through Audacity and re-saved it at the 128Kbps bitrate. I've also gone as far as converting to WAV and back to MP3. (Though, that was for one audio file that wasn't playing nice.)

Ok I'll give it a shot. I haven't messed with it for a while but now I resurrected my PC (Triple monitors FTW) and I'll get back to business soon.

• 3 months later...

Well nothing I wanted went on sale so it looks like I'm static for one more year. ;)
I don't pay retail for toys.
So I'm going to have 10K+ lights on 100%. This is going to be bright!

EvilM0nkey wrote:

Well nothing I wanted went on sale so it looks like I'm static for one more year. ;)
I don't pay retail for toys.
So I'm going to have 10K+ lights on 100%. This is going to be bright!

The sale isn't over yet. There should be another one starting tomorrow (with different products) and then the week after.

MikeH

I know this has has kinda gotten off topic but I have a on topic question about the comments. I was trying to decide between the PC and the Pro controller for my house and you are all pretty much in sync on that one. The question I have is would you change that with the gen2 controllers? Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that only the pro version is currently offered as gen2.

ShaggySS wrote:

I know this has has kinda gotten off topic but I have a on topic question about the comments. I was trying to decide between the PC and the Pro controller for my house and you are all pretty much in sync on that one. The question I have is would you change that with the gen2 controllers? Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that only the pro version is currently offered as gen2.

Not sure I follow you completely, but I don't see that either are available presently (as assembled products). The newest controllers will be Gen3 (G3), and I think both the Pro and the PC versions will have a G3 version. Supposedly they will be available soon according to the PDU http://www.lightorama.com/pdu/

Either way, I would wait for the PC version to save the money.

Shaggy, the "you-solder" (nothing pre-assembled) Gen2 kit is still available, so if you know how to solder, or want to try it, order one now.. for Monkey, $99 (or $179 for the complete you-solder package) isnt retail, you'll get your 16 channels still in time to get a show on. It is -very- likely the Gen3 kits will NOT be available for this season. With $100+ difference between the Showtime/Pro and PC versions, unless you have to have UL listed for insurance purposes, go with the PC versions.

• 1 month later...

Well I think I pulled off one last good "static" display.
It was enough to let me register at Tacky Light Tour, even though their site is so buggy I'm not sure anybody will be able to find it.

• 3 months later...

Good news everybody! My 16 channel starter kit showed up today and I have a bunch of blinking lights on my floor! Hopefully I can save some more $ to get another controller or two.