Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting ready to buy a 32 channel starter package. What would you do different?

EvilM0nkey

Going to buy a 32 channel starter package soon (waiting for a good deal :P). Knowing what you know now what would you do different?
I'm no stranger to Christmas lights (been putting them up since I was barely out of diapers).
I'm going to have 10K plus lights this year.
Here is my sorta static display from last year (Can't see all of the lights in this video). I do plan on using this track in my display this year.

In my closet I have plenty of (cases of) new lights for this year.

Any suggestions tips or tricks would be much appreciated.

Hello EvilMOnkey,

Knowing what I know now and being a newbie myself (in the LightORama world) I'd have to say you should have started last May!! :] I sure wish I did!!! Seriously, plan on dedicating A LOT of time to sequencing and buy a TON of extension cords!!! Build a good visualizer as it will aid tremendously!!

And if you haven't already read as many thread on here as you can... SOOOOO much valuable info along with EXTREMELY helpful people!!! Ask a lot of Questions, and most of all... ENJOY!!

I agree with Surfign4Dough..by the PC version (plastic enclosure)...you don't need the commercial version (metal enclosure).

Also download the demo software NOW and start using it..BIG learning curve and you can NEVER have enough time to sequence...

And don't worry about getting all aspects of your display or a sequence perfect...no one will know but you.

This is a FUN hobby...so try and keep it that way...and try to get as many of your family members involved so they don't feel they have "lost you" to this new obsession you are entering in to...

Jeff Millard wrote:

EvilM0nkey wrote:
Knowing what you know now what would you do different?

"...I would buy the highest level of the software package immediately..."

Jeff
I'd say the same. I'm still a newbie. Bought the standard software package on my first go-around to save a few bucks. Realized 3 weeks later that I wanted to use a lot more tracks. Ended up paying to upgrade to the advanced package anyway and it cost me more than if I'd have just bought it in the first place.

Enjoy!

EvilM0nkey wrote:

Going to buy a 32 channel starter package soon (waiting for a good deal :P). Knowing what you know now what would you do different?
I'm no stranger to Christmas lights (been putting them up since I was barely out of diapers).
I'm going to have 10K plus lights this year.
Here is my sorta static display from last year (Can't see all of the lights in this video). I do plan on using this track in my display this year.

In my closet I have plenty of (cases of) new lights for this year.

Any suggestions tips or tricks would be much appreciated.
I guess it boils down to how much you want to do and how much you want done. In my case I waited until late October/early November which didn't leave me much time for anything DIY. I went to WoWLights and those guys were really really helpful. Bought their 32 channel package and pretty much setup everything per their instructions. People loved the mega tree/music/dancing lights etc. Got five "free" songs/sequences with the package as well as the LOR software. Ended up purchasing five more. To quote "Emeril" from FoodTV, this year I wanted to "kick it up a notch". So I started my planning in January, have started/completed some props. Am working on my Weber Tree implementation and taking on Halloween too!

As I see it you have two options, if you want something out of the box and ready to go then contact the folks at WoWlights and go that route. They have demo's of their sequences running on their recommended setup to give you an idea. If that is "not how you roll" then do the basic 32 channel controllers and with the helpful folks here you should be ready to roll by Christmas. If you go this route I would first make up a song list and then second decide on what props you want to have (mega tree, mini tree's, arches, strobes, etc.). Once you have done that then these guys are great, they have me well on my way to putting on a great show for Halloween and Christmas.

btw, you are right around the corner from me. Welcome to the neighborhood!! :dude:

Buy a lot or extension cords or 1,000 ft or so of SPT wire. And I agree on the following.

1. Buy PC controllers

2.Buy the Advanced level of software

3. Download the dmeo and get to sequencing

4. There are several places you can download free sequences, use them if you need to

5. caniac is right around the corner, go steal all his sequences then he's not looking.

6. Most important, ask questions and have fun.

I'm going to end up going all out before it's all said and done and going further out every year I'm sure. I have far too much house and front yard for my own good as well as musically and computer programming inclined family and good friends, so It's going to end up being a big deal.

I was definitely going to get the advanced license from the get go (I have the free one now, but can't really figure out what I'm doing yet, think it will start to click once I get the hardware.)

I know I need some more (OK a lot more) extension cords, I have plenty of extension cords for my static display but with adding several channels everywhere I had lights it's going to up them by at least half.

I think I have a natural growing replacement for a mega tree, gotta see how it can all work out.

Guess I just need to break out the software again and figure it out.

I really appreciate the advice!

EvilM0nkey wrote:

I'm going to end up going all out before it's all said and done and going further out every year I'm sure. I have far too much house and front yard for my own good as well as musically and computer programming inclined family and good friends, so It's going to end up being a big deal.

I was definitely going to get the advanced license from the get go (I have the free one now, but can't really figure out what I'm doing yet, think it will start to click once I get the hardware.)

I know I need some more (OK a lot more) extension cords, I have plenty of extension cords for my static display but with adding several channels everywhere I had lights it's going to up them by at least half.

I think I have a natural growing replacement for a mega tree, gotta see how it can all work out.

Guess I just need to break out the software again and figure it out.

I really appreciate the advice!
find a song you really like and/or are comfortable with from a melody standpoint. see if someone on here has the 32 channel sequence and mp3. pull those into the demo and take a look at someone else's interpretation. that will help get you started. haven't played with sequencing yet but it is my understanding there is a visualizer that will let you see the results.

caniac wrote:

see if someone on here has the 32 channel sequence and mp3.

If you don't want to alienate a lot of us, DON'T ask for a copy of our MP3...one it is illegal.

Second, like someone else said in another post...if you can spend hundreds, if not thousands on your display, you can spend another .99 cents for a legal copy of an MP3.

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:
see if someone on here has the 32 channel sequence and mp3.

If you don't want to alienate a lot of us, DON'T ask for a copy of our MP3...one it is illegal.

Second, like someone else said in another post...if you can spend hundreds, if not thousands on your display, you can spend another .99 cents for a legal copy of an MP3.

I was only suggesting it from the standpoint of looking at someone else's lay out for say "Jingle Bells" to see how they laid it out in the sequencer and play it back to look at thru the visualizer. ONLY suggested it as a one time "option" if he is feeling overwhelmed by the sequencer, not as a solution for his entire Christmas display!!!

Once you have you layout for your display,and have a few sequences finished don't change your layout. if you do you will have to change your sequences. now if you decide to go with 48 channels and it is for say a 16 channel mega tree you would be fine.

I suppose a lot depends on what you define as "changing the layout". Adding stuff is okay as long as you don't add channels to the middle of your existing channel line up. That's when the problems can easily occur and the extra work comes in. If you just add stuff and insert the new channels at the bottom of your existing channel lineup you won't encounter anything more sinister than just more sequencing.

Yeah. What George said! (Tho all these suggestions are good!)

James pointed out NOT to change your setup once you've started. I agree with the spirit of this suggestion. I've said it before, too. But you will. Even if only to grow next year.

What George is saying is basically "nail down your setup, then don't waffle on it as you sequence new songs. You'll be sorry about the amount of rework if you do. If you want to add more elements, do them as a block at the end of what you've got. If you keep the same basic setup from year to year, last years sequences will always work, and you only have to add the new stuff.

Me? I threw a setup (32 channels) out there the first year. It went great. Wowed the neighborhood. (Won the prize.) The next year, I added 80 channels. Was difficult to work them in, so redid the complete animator (and added the house image). Had to resequence the original stuff I had done the first year. Lot of work. But I did it in such a way that adding new channels this year won't kill me. (Learn to use Tracks - I'm no expert yet, but they're great!)

DO - sequence something for your Sig. Other, especially if they aren't otherwise involved. Be prepared for them to become an LOR widow.

DO - pick songs you like and are willing to listen to for hours (and days and weeks) because sequencing them will require MANY playbacks.

DO - if you hit a block as you sequence, walk away from it a let it mull around in your head for a while. Come back, and if it doesn't start up fairly quickly, switch to another song for a bit. If you force it, you won't like what you end up with.

Most of all, welcome to the madness, and best wishes!

Of course "Wow Lights" has a sale on now and if you want CCRs will you can save $30.00. Buy one to play around with. Then buy 3 more during the Lor summer sale.

Practice on some "shared sequences" that way you can get some knowledge on different ideas.

Start with 48 channels. Buy the PC controllers and you can start with 48 channels. You will want more anyhow.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Cray Augsburg wrote:
DO - sequence something for your Sig. Other, especially if they aren't otherwise involved. Be prepared for them to become an LOR widow.

No to hi-jack... but... Mine was "...Hippopotamus for Christmas" What's yours?

Jeff

That was really rude Jeff. What were you trying to imply about her?!? :P

Jeff Millard wrote:

Actually, I got off easy (no, that's NOT what I mean!) :shock:

"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" :P

Cray Augsburg wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:

Actually, I got off easy (no, that's NOT what I mean!) :shock:

"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" :P

i got off even easier, that sequence and MP3 was included in what i got from WowLights but now she want's Linus and Lucy so I will have my work cut out for me on that one.

And to answer the two questions you will ask before you ask them....

Yes, you can save your channel setup and animation to use in other new sequences. Edit-Export Configuration.

Yes, you can play back just part of the sequence and not start from the beginning each time. Play-Play Range

It's been a couple weeks since someone has asked these so I figured they were due. :P

I too would go with the advanced software and PC controllers.