Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting Multible CCR's

Ron Amedee

I want to run three ribbons off of one controller end to end.
I do understand I will drop intensity's from 128 down to 32.
I understand that each ribbon draws 3 amps at around 41 watts each.
Looking for diagram on how and where to add the new power supply..IE..At the start of the first ribbon or at the start of each ribbon? I will use one 12 amp 12vdc commercial grade power supply to inject power to all the ribbons.

Geoff
What route did you take? After reading the post adding ribbons without controllers might be a bit sketchy.
30% savings not using extra controllers or head aches from doing this the wrong way!!

Ron

I used 6 ribbons as 3 pairs (each pair had 2 ribbons end to end) to outline my eaves. I used 1 controller for each pair so have 3 spare controllers, but I used all 6 of the power supplies that came with the ribbons - 3 power supplies were connected to the 3 controllers, and the other 3 were used to inject the additional power at the ribbom junctions.

I set all 3 controllers to the same address as I wanted each ribbon to do the same patterns. All worked well for 2010. Because my ribbons are in a protected location on the house just under the eaves and are not exposed to sunlight. I have left these permanently installed with the controllers and power supplies located in the ceiling space.

I used both macros and some individual pixel programming last year and was happy with the results. You can best see the ribbons in

and

Last year I used some LED strings (blue, green. red and white) to attempt to fill the gaps between ribbons, but this year I have obtained some RGB strips which will be controlled by a DC board. I will program these as an extra element at the end of the ribbons. (see http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-329544925/5m-one-roll-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-led-strip-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-and-coating-RGB.html)

Hope this helps Geoff

Thanks for your reply Geoff..I was thinking of addressing the controllers to the same address but was worried about conflics. Your display is a thing of beauty !! I have watched all four videos a bunch of times and am still in awww!!!
So far have been copy and past to three controllers to acheive the same result.

Hi Mike

For each splash pool, I found a pair of flat plant trainers, zip tied these together to give a flat fan shaped structure. I then had a number of blue and white LED stakes which I zip tied to the fan frame to provide the rays. I also had some white snowflake shaped LEDs which I added.

These were all low voltage Aussie lights and these can be cut every 10 (approx) bulbs. Checked the required voltages and added resistors as required so each of the different lights in the splash had the correct brightness for the voltage I was using. Each splash runs from a single channel on a DC controller.

Note that on some splash's I ran out of the LED tubes and just zip tied a bulb string to a straight piece of wire. The effect was the same and at night you would never notice the differences.

Attached files 243005=13230-Arch cw Nets-P1020584.jpg

MikeH wrote:

Thank you Geoff. I would like to incorporate this into my arches, mind if I borrow your technique?

MikeH

Only too happy for you to do so Mike. We all learn from each other and I've certainly used ideas from many others.

Regards Geoff

• The topic was locked