Light-O-Rama Forums

Miami Unlicensed Broadcaster Hit With $20,000.00 Nal

KX6D

edvas69 wrote:

evan.a wrote:
I have been visited by the FCC while I live in NJ 4 years ago. long story short. Don't exceed any further than anyone can see your house. 200 ft is the max, but a little over is not that bad. .05 w is max you are allowed. 1 w will set up a visit.

funny,... I was using a belkin. when my neighbor called.

You may have had a visit from the FCC but you didnt get fined and was told to keep it within limits, If you continued then you may have been fined.

The only reason the FCC would have come in the first place is because you have a disgruntled neighbour that dobbed you in to the FCC to try and get back at you for creating traffic.

I doubt there is anything to ever worry about as long as you follow some of the above posters pointers and dont try to send your signal too far. If they do come at worst you will get a warning to keep it within limits. Only those that have repeated offenses are the ones that the FCC will fine.

my one new neighbor didnt like me, because of my dogs. he was young, about 35ish. his wife was such a snob. they thought they live in high socity moving into Budd Lake. right next to me. they must haved called the cops on me about 20 times. one was because I had so many lights and it bothered them. when the cops (3 of them) showed up, they where told to close the blinds. than they came over to watch the shows. my sister worked in town for the police dept part time. and they knew the problems between us. I had a 20 ft snowman, that some how got stapped and ripped. i took it with a grain of salt, and just buried it in the backyard.

I forgot the guys name from the fcc, but he did have to check out a complaint about someone broadcasting music. we talked for about 15 minutes while watching the show. than told me I need a little bigger transmitter. so the music could go a little bit further and be more clearer.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob Hall

• KX6D

• ItsMeBobO

• Alan C

I don't think anyone here needs to worry about their Christmas Show in comparison to what the guy in the article was doing. I wouldn't be surprised if he was operating what one would consider a normal radio station, including advertising, time-specific shows, etc. He was probably generating traffic to his radio station, and other broadcasters were probably losing out on listeners (and listeners = ratings = money for legit broadcasters). Then he was probably playing music without paying the required royalities either. In other words, everything that he could do wrong, he was doing wrong.

What we do with LOR is on a much smaller scale. We are not here to make money; we are not competing against other radio stations for their business.

Many of us probably do broadcast over the 200' range. But, if one is being reasonable about it (a mile is not reasonable) and following the other rules (don't interfere with other radio stations, etc), they are not going to get themselves in trouble. The FCC won't care if your 2' sign in front of your house has your radio station on it. But if you put a billboard on the nearby interstate highway alerting people to your radio station, you will probably get a visit!

• 7 months later...

garyfunk wrote:

LORi P wrote:
How does one measure mV/m? What kind of equipment is needed?

Generally a SWR meter.

No sir. A Field Strength Meter is used to measure mV/m.

There are a lot of opinions in this thread and a general lack of knowledge or understanding of the rules.

If you go back and read my FIRST post I clearly state that "I don't believe the FCC is going to come to your house and shut down your Christmas show." They don't care or have the time or resources to investigate you.

The PURPOSE of the original post was to discourage people from becoming a 24/7 Christmas Music Station...and to also encourage to transmit only what's necessary to put on a good show. There are a couple people her in Southern CA that you can still hear when over 2 miles from their home!

Keep your broadcasts reasonable and you will NEVER have a problem. Besides, with the crowded bands, maybe someone else would like to use the same clear frequency!

Looking forward to the shows this year!! Merry Christmas!

Dino - KX6D

Like Dino KX6D, I have an Advance Amateur radio Lic. KF0OX. We both have received training that has taught us what to expect if we continue to operate in a illegal manner.

Your best bet is to try your best to operate in such a manner as to not to attract any unwanted attention from the FCC. Cause as stated above by others. FCC more than likely will not come looking for you on their own. But all it takes is a call from someone who has bone to pick with you. And if this happens and FCC feels then need to investigate their complaint. Well if they find out way out of specs. Then they will will take steps to take your money and your liberty. So, you best follow the rules or become bubba's girlfriend. God I love bear bait! It keeps FCC busy with others and leaves me out of the picture.
So, go on, dis-believe KX6D and me. Keep the FCC busy at your display and I wont have to worry if I might be just a bit over the limit while your way over the limits..

I'm always sweating the FCC coming by. The distance from my house to the yellow line in the road is about 125 feet. My MBB-V6000 goes about another 20 feet past that before it starts breaking up and getting lots of static. The neighbor across the street can't hear my music clearly at all. The antenna rests outside the window glass on the metal sill, (magnetic base). I originally had the antenna between the glass and screen, but the signal would only go out about 20 feet. Once the screen was removed, the signal went out ahead to the road. The height of my window sill is about 14 feet off the ground.

Last year, I drove around the road to the other side of the lake which is about 500-600 feet from my house and the station is mostly static. However, Northwest, North and Northeast of my house is PA route 116. My station will come in (mostly static but can still make out music)on 116 from a distance of almost 700 feet to the northwest of us and 500 feet to the North of us. In order to get to 116 from our development though is not a direct approach and must drive almost 4 miles just to be 500 feet north of my house. I'm confused as to how my broadcast is going further 'through and behind' my house in the direction of the road. However 200 feet West of my house (my back yard) and a little further East (the Front) you can't hear anything but static.

Anyway, I'm apprehensive because on that very same Rt 116, 3-4 miles west of me, the FCC has an office. So, I'm really hoping I'm not the bear bait Max-Paul loves so much.

I think you're probably safe...:)

You're also pretty safe as far as doing hard time making license plates for a violation...more likely, you may lose your equipment, and have to write a nice check to Uncle Sam...

DonFL wrote:

...more likely, you may lose your equipment, and have to write a nice check to Uncle Sam...

It will never come to that; EVER! If you EVER got a visit from the FCC they would slap your hand and say STOP, and that would be the end of it...unless you are an idiot.

I like Evan's story. The FCC representative watched the show and told him he needs more power! Believe me when I say they have much bigger issues to deal with!

And to beat this dead horse one more time...the original post was about becoming a 24/7 Christmas Music Broadcast Station...not music transmitted for a simple light show. I'm almost sorry I brought it up! However, Orville did pull up some nice info on the subject!

My new antenna arrives next week! I'm working with the manufacturer to build inexpensive kits for this hobby. Expect a complete write up on my transmitter set up...complete with field strength readings at different power levels and coverage area!

Dino - KX6D

KX6D wrote:

DonFL wrote:
...more likely, you may lose your equipment, and have to write a nice check to Uncle Sam...

It will never come to that; EVER! If you EVER got a visit from the FCC they would slap your hand and say STOP, and that would be the end of it...unless you are an idiot.

I like Evan's story. The FCC representative watched the show and told him he needs more power! Believe me when I say they have much bigger issues to deal with!

And to beat this dead horse one more time...the original post was about becoming a 24/7 Christmas Music Broadcast Station...not music transmitted for a simple light show. I'm almost sorry I brought it up! However, Orville did pull up some nice info on the subject!

My new antenna arrives next week! I'm working with the manufacturer to build inexpensive kits for this hobby. Expect a complete write up on my transmitter set up...complete with field strength readings at different power levels and coverage area!

Dino - KX6D

No disagreement that the FCC is not going to smack someone for an innocent infraction, and they obviously have bigger fish to fry. But its also their call if/when they decide to take action. I would disagree with your statement that suggests they would never take action past a smack on the hand.

If we're tossing callsigns, etc around..I've been licensed for 30+ years, extra class (former WD8QXM, now AE4DW), and my "day job" has me involved with a variety of FCC related issues during my 25+ years working in the wireless industry..

I see no reason to be sorry you brought it all up...if it helps one person step away from this idiotic idea that they need to broadcast 1/2 mile for their light show, its a help. If it helps clear up a lot of the misinformation that is out there floating around, that is also a help.

Just joined this thread and noticed that Mr. DJ was stomping all over WXKB "B1039" signal out of Estero FL. Lots of folks in South Florida listen to WXKB since it easily reaches Miami across the flat and wet everglades. My guess is, listeners notified the station and/or FCC about the dolt. Broadcasting in blank space probably won't bother anyone.

Bob, I hope you are not either. Sounds like your are trying your best to provide a good show, yet not blast the whole community with your music. There are others on this forum that will buy the 1W radio made in china from ebay. Those are the ones we have warned in the past and they just go blah to us. Once you try to educate and it falls on rebellious ears. Then it is sit back and wait and watch for the fun to begin time.

Its like you try to warn the golfer on a hill top in an electrical storm to keep his club down and to come off of the hill and return to the club house. Ya just know that one of these days he is going to be out in a storm and he is going to get stroked, by lighting that is.

If it weren't for this forum and knowing what I needed to do to TONE DOWN the distance by using an attenuator on my transmitter, chances may have been good I'd have gotten a visit by the good ol' boys in black suits (FCC!).

But because I LISTENED and HEEDED the advice of these folks like Dino, Max-Paul, Don and others here, and did what I needed to do, I should be fairly safe from a visit. And like they said, if you don't heed their advice and warnings, especially since many of them ARE HAM OPERATORS these folks definitely KNOW what they are talking about, and only an idiot would not listen to those with the knowledge and voice of reason.

I appreciate the fact these folks were willing to share their knowledge with us here on these type issues, as when I came into this a year ago and got my first transmitter I was actually very confused as to what I could do or couldn't do that would get me a visit from the FCC.

So ANYONE thinking of even getting/buying an FM Transmitter needs to read the links in my post in this thread and also to read any other links these HAM OPERATORS here have shared with us here.

Always remember and OUNCE of PREVENTION is better than not knowing the rules and regulations that could very well get you a visit from the FCC, possibly a hefty fine and loss of all your equipment as well as other assets you may have(which COULD include your home too!)!

And none of us want that to happen to any of us here.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Thanks KX6D

More here.
http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db0329/DA-11-567A1.txt

When discovered this guy moved his transmitter and continued his station operation. So his fine was raised from $10k to $20k.

The article failed to mention how strong the signal measured. But did say section 15.239 of the Rules provides that non-licensed broadcasting in the 88-108 MHz band is permitted only if the field strength of the transmission does not exceed 250 mV/m at three meters.

Can someone explain how strong that is?

11.43 nW (nano-watts)

Update... found the info here. http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2007/DA-07-4938A1.html

Section 15.239 of the Rules provides that non-licensed broadcasting in the
88-108 MHz band is permitted only if the field strength of the
transmission does not exceed 250 mV/m at three meters. 47 C.F.R. S:
15.239. On August 7 and 8, 2007, the measurements indicated that the
signals were 5,948, and 5,696 times greater, respectively, than the
maximum permissible level for a non-licensed Part 15 transmitter.

Section 15.239 of the Rules provides that non-licensed broadcasting in the
88-108 MHz band is permitted only if the field strength of the
transmission does not exceed 250 mV/m at three meters. 47 C.F.R. S:
15.239. On August 16 and 17, 2007, the measurements indicated that the
signals were 11,575, and 10,992 times greater, respectively, than the
maximum permissible level for a non-licensed Part 15 transmitter.

Max-Paul wrote:

Bob, I hope you are not either. Sounds like your are trying your best to provide a good show, yet not blast the whole community with your music. There are others on this forum that will buy the 1W radio made in china from ebay. Those are the ones we have warned in the past and they just go blah to us. Once you try to educate and it falls on rebellious ears. Then it is sit back and wait and watch for the fun to begin time.

Its like you try to warn the golfer on a hill top in an electrical storm to keep his club down and to come off of the hill and return to the club house. Ya just know that one of these days he is going to be out in a storm and he is going to get stroked, by lighting that is.

Max-Paul, Thanks. I definitely am trying my best. Last year I almost was one of those people that bought the 1W transmitter, until I heeded the advice here and over at PC. I also don't use any voice overs or announce my radio station other then the sign in the yard. I just hope if it does happen, the guys in the black van will be nice and let me 'plead my case' and at worse just confiscate the MBB-V600.

I'm using an MBB-Eclipse 4000 with a 10dB attenuator between the transmitter and the telescoping antenna.

This cut my range WAY down from what it initially was.

It's only 500mW, but this thing without the attenuator was broadcasting at times up and to a 5+ mile radius, WAY BEYOND FCC limits!

That little 10dB attenuator, again, thanks to the folks here, cut that down to no more than about 2 houses on either side of me, barely made it to street behind the house and now didn't even make it across the wide open space across the lake to the neighborhood that was way behind our neighborhood, where I could pick it up very clean and crystal clear over there.

Now this being almost somewhere between 5-6 miles from the front yard of my house, you could actually see the display from across the lake, between the houses, not very well, but you could tell it wasn't the usual on/off Christmas light effects. This is a very HUGE lake.

So if your MBB is broadcasting too far, you may want to consider adding an attenuator between the transmitter and the antenna. It can really help cut the signal and still give a good transmission to your audience with no loss of audio quality.

Orville, I actually did use an attenuator once (borrowed) from my friend and it did stop it from going to Rt. 116, but it also kept it from reaching the road in front of my house (a distance of 125 feet from my front window where the antenna is). It's just my plain stupid old luck that this thing transmits further away through obstacles then it does to a clear area right out front.

That's strange. What size attenuator did you experiment with/try?

From my understanding from the folks here, and they'll correct me if I'm mistaken, is that the larger the dB rating the shorter the attenuator would allow your transmitter to send its signal out.

Again, providing I am understanding how attenuators work from the folks here that know this stuff much better than I do.

I tried a 50dB just for kicks and it turned my MBB Eclipse 4000 into a WHT that everyone complains can't usually get more than 15'-20' distance out of.

Went back to the 10dB that was suggested I use and it could reach the street and across the street to at least 3 houses, one directly across and the ones to either side of it, on my side, in front of my house and no further than those on either side of me. It was perfect for my needs and really helped qwell that long range distance I was wanting to avoid.

If it were a 10dB attenuator, maybe you could try a 5dB one? (if there is one that low, I'm not sure what levels attenuators start from, but sure someone here knows more specifics).

Just know it worked out very well for me and even though still a tad further than I wanted(still a little over the 200' limit, but not as likely to have the FCC give you a visit), at least it wasn't way out there like it was without it.

According to him it was a 10dB as well. Without the attenuator, I can barely make it too the road. For some reason the signal is being amplified to the northwest and north side of the house (through obstructions)and travels further than 125 feet. My friend is thinking my siding may be the culprit.

Bob Hall wrote:

According to him it was a 10dB as well. Without the attenuator, I can barely make it too the road. For some reason the signal is being amplified to the northwest and north side of the house (through obstructions)and travels further than 125 feet. My friend is thinking my siding may be the culprit.

If you have aluminum siding, yes, that can reflect the signal back, as well as prevent it from getting out if behind a wall covered in it! I try and place my antenna outside if at all possible or at least in a forward facing window away from most obstructions, but there are some screens and even window films that can also absorb the signal and also reflect it back the other way. So any of these could be a culprit. I usually mount the antenna outside, above my window on an angle bracket to hold it by it's magnetic base. I also use screw down plastic cable clamps that clip over the antenna and hold it in place so that it can't fall off or be blown off by high winds.

So if your antenna is inside, you may want to actually consider moving it outside away from the building if possible.

It would have to be aluminum as it's not magnetic. As stated before, the antenna sits in the top window sill that angles slightly down. I removed the screen since that was killing the transmission. I'm looking for a way to mount the antenna further away from the house that will pass the wife's approval.

Bob Hall wrote:

It would have to be aluminum as it's not magnetic. As stated before, the antenna sits in the top window sill that angles slightly down. I removed the screen since that was killing the transmission. I'm looking for a way to mount the antenna further away from the house that will pass the wife's approval.

Good Luck! Glad my wife gives me free reign of the outside domain. She takes care of the inside and the outside is my responsability. So fortunately I don't need her approval for whatever I do on the exterior of the house.