Light-O-Rama Forums

re-birth of the Commodore 64

Jim Saul

MikeH wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
The C64 was a breakthrough gaming machine back in the day - made the Atari look primitive. It was on the C64 that I reached the pinnacle of my Basic programming career by coaxing it to continuously scroll "Rick eats doggie-do" in honor of my video game buddy one day when he was coming over to do some gaming. Amazing what you could do with a whopping 64K of RAM...

Did you know that Lunar Module on the first moon landing was powered by a 64k computer? Probably why they had soooo many alarms going off during their landing.

Mike

As the story (and I'm sure, somewhat urban legend) goes, they had nothing more complex than a TTL NAND gate in any of their subsystems..not even any CMOS...or more complex gates...

But still, i think George's doggy do banner ranks right up there with landing on the moon...:D:P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim Saul

• caniac

• garyfunk

• Ron Amedee

Top Posters In This Topic

My first computer was the Altair 8800 followed by the Imsai 8080. I wish I had all that money back. I wonder if Jeff is releated to the builder of the Imsai 8080.

I owned several VIC-20s, C64s and a couple of C128s. Never owned a PET though. Always thought I wanted one.

I went through all those, Altair, Vic20, C-64, TI-99 4a. I even had the expansion box for the TI. Looked like a freight train lined up across my desk. Then I got an Apple IIe with 80 character display. Then a friend of mine came over with his Osborne luggable. Looked like an occilliscope with a keyboard. My cell phone has more processing power than all those put together.

I think that if my Commodore 64 were running my Christmas lights that I would seriously hit my "chi", maybe even achieve a new level of enlightenment.

Yea..It was my laptop,..29 lb's 13 kilograms...64 kilobites of Ram and Two 5 1/4double density floppy disk $1,795.00 in 1981 !!!! I used it when i repaired Pinball and Arcade Games for 7 Eleven !!!

Ron Amedee wrote:

Yea..It was my laptop,..29 lb's 13 kilograms...64 kilobites of Ram and Two 5 1/4double density floppy disk $1,795.00 in 1981 !!!! I used it when i repaired Pinball and Arcade Games for 7 Eleven !!!
I sold those for a while along with Apple II's IIe's IIc's and the early Macs. Also the first IBM PC, AT, and PS/2. Back in those days you could make a lot of money. Close to half of that price was profit and in those days they were so hard to come by people didn't haggle. Now PC manufacturer's are luck to make $50 a unit.

In this picture I have my:
* Commodore 64
* 1541 5.25" Floppy Disk Drivers X 2
* 2 joysticks & 1 trackball
* 1702 Monitor (great quality monitor)
* Daisy wheel printer

The big blue thing was used to store computer punch cards.

Attached files 242452=13199-john_at_computer.jpg

caniac wrote:

Now PC manufacturer's are luck to make $50 a unit.

$50 is a stretch if you are trying to actually compete with Dell, and put in legal software. Plus then the person buying the computer assumes that since you built it you are there for free tech support for life.

in the late 80s-mid 90's I built computers out of my garage, like you said you could turn a decent profit, but once Dell and Gateway came onto the scene with 486s in catalogs, I closed up shop and started selling support instead.

Na...Wikopedia file... I was straight out the Navy..Worked on the Blackbox on the F14 Tomcat. Then my new bother in law hired me to work on arcade Games with him..Big change to say the least !!!

First three computer systems were:

Sinclair ZX81, with RAM expansion

C64, eventually with two floppy drives

IBM XT clone, purchased with 640K upgrade, & 2 FDD, but upgraded to a HDD smaller than my iPhone flash memory a few months later. My parents really did not understand the need for a HDD at first. I think it was a couple of years before they added a HDD to theirs.

At some point in all of that, the Timex Sinclair zx81 was being closed out for $20, so I picked up a couple more.. I'm not sure I ever did anything with them though..

Wow, this thread brought back some old forgotten memories. I was in my mid teens when we had a c64. I don't remember what games my brother and I played though. I didn't care to sit in front of the computer trying to figure out how to program, thought it was pointless and a waste of time. Now I sit in front of my computer sequencing. :D

and to think if we did what we are doing now with a handful of controllers and a laptop back then it would have required something similar to that years version of a Cray and several millions of dollars for just 64 channels.