• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim Saul

• caniac

• garyfunk

• Ron Amedee

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Saul wrote:

Commodore is trying to make a comeback, here is the Intel powered beloved c64 all in one unit.

I guess it is true if you wait long enough everything does come back into style

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Ran a BBS where I met my wife 24 years ago.

Still have the 64.

Remember I adore my 64.

About twelve years ago, we were going through everything I had in storage preparing for a move. My wife made me get rid of the C64 since I hadn't touched it in about 10 years.

I listed it on a bulletion board at work to see if there were any takers. Someone called and asked if it ran Windows.

PaulXmas wrote:

Ran a BBS where I met my wife 24 years ago.

Still have the 64.

Remember I adore my 64.

You remember a board called "OCC"? I was one of 4 that ran it.... :D We got so big after 4 years, we had to close it down before the people in the black vans came knocking at the door.

Does tend to bring back some memories for sure.
I was working for a little company that built automated test equipment (cable testers primarily). They had hired me to run the section of the company and be the technician for a line of testers that they had picked up from another company.
I remember writing the operators manuals and tech manuals for the testers on my Commodore 64 as we were redesigning the testers.
Boy the old days of wire wrapped cpu and memory boards!
Those were some tough times but also some fun times as well.

The C64 was a breakthrough gaming machine back in the day - made the Atari look primitive. It was on the C64 that I reached the pinnacle of my Basic programming career by coaxing it to continuously scroll "Rick eats doggie-do" in honor of my video game buddy one day when he was coming over to do some gaming. Amazing what you could do with a whopping 64K of RAM...

My first love was the Sinclair ZX81 with the 28 ram extension pack,now that is what you call old school.... The commodore followed a couple of years later and was the best gaming platform for its time, blew the old PC's out of the water..

Still have an old 64 lying around somewhere with hundreds of games...

The good old days of DOS

martinmc wrote:

My first love was the Sinclair ZX81 with the 28 ram extension pack,now that is what you call old school.... The commodore followed a couple of years later and was the best gaming platform for its time, blew the old PC's out of the water..

Still have an old 64 lying around somewhere with hundreds of games...

The good old days of DOS

I had the Sinclair also...loaded programs with a tape cassette...thought I was on the (bleeding?) edge of technology.

Also built a great morse code keyboard for it (even splurged on a real keyboard, as that membrane thing was impossible..)...both read and sent morse code...but never did well in heavy RF environments..spent more time booting and reloading than anything else.

Somehow I missed the c64 and used only the TI 99/a. Did a lot a game programming on that with no hard drive. Had to use a cassette tape deck.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Somehow I missed the c64 and used only the TI 99/a. Did a lot a game programming on that with no hard drive. Had to use a cassette tape deck.

Parsec and Blast-O... loved those games. (For the TI99 4/a.) Had a simulator around here at one point just to play those games again.

Fun times.

George Simmons wrote:

The C64 was a breakthrough gaming machine back in the day - made the Atari look primitive. It was on the C64 that I reached the pinnacle of my Basic programming career by coaxing it to continuously scroll "Rick eats doggie-do" in honor of my video game buddy one day when he was coming over to do some gaming. Amazing what you could do with a whopping 64K of RAM...

Did you know that Lunar Module on the first moon landing was powered by a 64k computer? Probably why they had soooo many alarms going off during their landing.

Mike

Many hours of my childhood was spent playing around with the C64. One of my favorite things to do with the C64 was when i went to shopping centres and they had the C64 demo to play with, I would program a timer and some explitives with an endless loop (the good old 'goto' command) and the screen changing colour and then hide, after 60 seconds or so the loop would then start with some bad words, and then i would watch the customers and shop assistant look in horror as they try to stop the loop.

Such a misguided child i was

Don wrote:

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Parsec and Blast-O... loved those games. (For the TI99 4/a.) Had a simulator around here at one point just to play those games again.

Fun times.

If you ever played ghost maze hunter on the TI99/4a that was me :D I wrote that and about 10 other sprite graphic games that were all maze based ripoffs of a combination of the Atari 2600 haunted house and pacman. They were sold on cassette from a mail order catalog.

I am going to date myself here. I cut my teeth programming on an Apple III. It had a 5 megabyte hard drive which was way better than tapes and had a 128 byte floppy drive. It predated DOS and I learned programming prior to DOS.

Those were the days. I did a lot of programming for CYMA software. I still have that working Apple III that I did all my programming on.

My youngest son has been collecting all of the gaming systems that have come along and actually thinks the c64 was a pretty cool system. I would be more prone to buy the original than a new one though.

My Atari 800XL beat the pants off your C64. And I remember playing games that just printed X's on computer paper to show your position. And then the new fangled text based Zork games. Those were the days.

I agree the new one isn't something high on on my list, but it would be cool to see people's faces when you show them a commodore and tell them that it is running your light :shock: