Light-O-Rama Forums

iDMX1000 + Dimmer Pack?

PerryH

If I am understanding your question correct, you only need the dimmer packs if you are wanting to use them instead of an LOR controller(PC or Showtime unit). In my display I have used both LOR controllers and DMX dimmer packs. The LOR controllers are a better deal than the dimmer packs. The IDMX1000 is only needed if you are using a DMX universe. Otherwise, there is no need for it to run your other LOR hardware.

Perry you need to give us a bit more info about what you are trying to do. Chad did a good job in his response above. One item for clarity. A PC Controller in a pure DMX universe is just a dimmer pack.

In a mixed network, DMX & LOR, you are probably better off using the PC Controller as a controller, using LORs fade and special effects. The iDMX has a limitation as to how many "channels" can be dimming at the same time within the DMX Universe. Those are called Smart or Intelligent Channels and there is a 128 channel limit for LOR.

The iDMX will communicate directly with DMX fixtures in your universe, you don't need the iDMX unless you have something like a DMX flood, strobe, yoke etc...

• 1 month later...

If you want to control a DMX firture (such as a RGB Led light) - maybe Chauvet LED-PAR200B, you DONT need a dimmer pack. The fixture will have DMX (usually 3pin or 5 pin XLR) and a power cord.

The most comon use for IDMX is cnotrolling a fixture with showtime software. It doesnt make a lot of sense to want to use S2 to drive a DMX dimmer unless you just have a lot of DMX dimmers lying around. and if you did, youd probably consider other software with native DMX support befroe S2.

One other exception would be if you had several really big bright lights. like - 5 or 10 1,500 watt flood lights, you would be much better off with a couple small DMX dimmers as most thetatrical dimmers are rated 15 - 20 amps / pack . In a really high end rack, you get 20amps per dimmer. and then you need a 200amp 3 phase service and the list goes on and on.

• The topic was locked