Light-O-Rama Forums

ordering controller

eschlomach

i want to order my first lightorama 16 channel controller but im not sure what i should get. i know im gonna have to add more before christmas. i just want something i can experiment with. do i need a starter package? or would it be cheaper to order it all seperatley? soldering wouldnt be a problem.

eschlomach wrote:

i want to order my first lightorama 16 channel controller but im not sure what i should get. i know im gonna have to add more before christmas. i just want something i can experiment with. do i need a starter package? or would it be cheaper to order it all seperatley? soldering wouldnt be a problem.

Starter Package

A controller and lights!

Lots of time

Extension cords, lots of extension cord!!!

PaulXmas wrote:

eschlomach wrote:
i want to order my first Lightorama 16 channel controller but I'm not sure what i should get. i know im gonna have to add more before Christmas. i just want something i can experiment with. do i need a starter package? or would it be cheaper to order it all separately? soldering wouldn't be a problem.

Starter Package

A controller and lights!

Lots of time

can't emphasize extension cords often enough!! I would go with one that is ready to roll, at some point in the future a kit might make sense but for now you might want to spend soldering time learning sequencing.

Eventually, you will need what the Starter Package offers:

one Cat 5 cable
Showtime Software Suite S2 License
one USB485 adapter
and one USB cable with filters

But you don't need a Showtime Pro LOR1602W controller (more commercial grade and with a UL listing), as any of the controllers will work with each other. If you have the time and solder knowledge, go with one of the PC kits found here:

http://store.lightorama.com/ctb16pcpage.html

jimswinder wrote:

Eventually, you will need what the Starter Package offers:

one Cat 5 cable
Showtime Software Suite S2 License
one USB485 adapter
and one USB cable with filters

But you don't need a Showtime Pro LOR1602W controller (more commercial grade and with a UL listing), as any of the controllers will work with each other. If you have the time and solder knowledge, go with one of the PC kits found here:

http://store.lightorama.com/ctb16pcpage.html
i would most like burn myself repeatedly with solder gun so i went the ReadyToGo route.:dude:

caniac wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:
Starter Package

A controller and lights!

Lots of time

can't emphasize extension cords often enough!! I would go with one that is ready to roll, at some point in the future a kit might make sense but for now you might want to spend soldering time learning sequencing.

Did anyone mention extension cords?
you will need lots and lots of cords.
If you are just starting out, you can save money by making your own cords, buy the wire by the roll and use vampire plugs to put ends on them where you need them.

Of course if you are like me and re-arange everything every year, then custom lenght cords dont help that much :)

ShowTime PC CTB16PC. Partially Assembled $205.95
Starter package with advanced license $112.85
Total with shipping $343.61

Thats actually alot cheaper than i thought it was gonna be.

eschlomach wrote:

That's actually alot cheaper than i thought it was gonna be.
they usually cut you slack on software when you buy it all.

It's even cheaper if you're willing to solder. The kits and instructions are easy and doesn't take all that long. Just don't put a part in backwards, it's difficult to get back out if you soldered it in, been there, done that! LOR support is awesome and will send you a replacement part right away if you do make a mistake.

eschlomach wrote:

You may want to check out the differences of the different Software Versions (Basic to Advanced) if you haven't already...you may have no need for all the bells and whistles of the advanced at this time...

although the Beat Wizard (Automatic Beat Detection - Basic Plus and Up) is well worth the price difference in my opinion..

http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimeSoftwareSuite.html

jimswinder wrote:

eschlomach wrote:

You may want to check out the differences of the different Software Versions (Basic to Advanced) if you haven't already...you may have no need for all the bells and whistles of the advanced at this time...

although the Beat Wizard (Automatic Beat Detection - Basic Plus and Up) is well worth the price difference in my opinion..

http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimeSoftwareSuite.html

And unlimited tracks in my opinion is worth the money!

Don't forget the extension cords!

and did we say lots and lots of extension cords!! though your local law enforcement might keep an eye on you thinking you have found a way to turn extension cords into crack after all who in their right mind goes to Wally World at 3am for 35 extension cords of various lengths during the Christmas season.

caniac wrote:

who in their right mind goes to Wally World at 3am for 35 extension cords of various lengths during the Christmas season.

an
Alien
Life
Form?

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:
who in their right mind goes to Wally World at 3am for 35 extension cords of various lengths during the Christmas season.

an
Alien
Life
Form?
roflmao! waka waka!!

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:
roflmao! waka waka!!

that's wocka wocka... :)

KERMIT!!!!!
sorry, forgot to install the muppet filter on my spell checker

Check out the forums for SPT wire, alot lighter to carry and store than extension cords.

shfr26 wrote:

Check out the forums for SPT wire, alot lighter to carry and store than extension cords.
this was before i discovered SPT and was in a crunch to get my display up and running.

For what it's worth from a current "newbie" who's been at it for 3 months now... Buy the advanced version of the software right away. If you're going to have more than 16 channels, chances are you're going to want the advantages of the additional tracks before this year's show, not to mention the other features that you'll get. Just my two cents, but within a month of buying the basic plus version, I sprung for the advanced. Would have saved me $20 if I'd have just bought it right away.

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:

an
Alien
Life
Form?

Then I *MUST* be an A.L.F.!:shock:

Last year I went to Wal-Mart several times (usually between 2am-4am) and purchased their entire stock of extensions cords (6 footers) they had. I was doing this in September for my 2010 Halloween display. Ended up making several trips back and forth over a couple weeks to keep getting what I needed to connect everything! Think I have about 500-600 6' extension cords at that time (actually lost count after 350):), then come November, seems I still needed about another 20-30 for my Christmas Display. Good Grief!, I thought I had enough from all the ones from Halloween! Nope, still needed more.

So buy all the extension cords or make as much as you can, if I count the ones I made from old extension cord wire with bad ends and using old bad inandescent and LED light string female and male ends, I probably have (if I count them all) around 1500 extension cords in total. And I'll bet I'll need more in the future.

Since my display is scaled back this year(2011) being in an apartment, I won't be using half of those cords this year. But at least I'll have lots of spares in case of any issues! Of course when we can get back into a house, chances are I'll need another 1,500 or more!

Never enough extension cords!:dude: