Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking for a suggestion for ribbon repair

steve synek

I admit I stressed one of my ribbons used as an arch last year. (Don't ask about the stupid short cut I tried because it was cold outside and I was in a hurry.) As I have stated in another post, I fasten my ribbon at every pixel to 3/4" PVC conduit with a tie wrap. Every other day my show ran this year, I had to tweak the ribbon as it stopped functioning. There is no visual physical damage to the ribbon, but at around the 4 Th pixel, I had to twist the ribbon to make it start working again. I would gently twist the supporting tie wrap till it seemed to make a connection again at the non-soldered joint. I hope I am using the right terms, but the area where it looks like copper traces meeting at a joint.

So my question to one of you guys that have cut the ribbon is would you recommend I slice open the cover and try to solder jumpers across the traces and seal up the opening, or is there a way to extract the ribbon from the case at the end and slide it back inside the casing?

Steve

It is probably not that at all. Your problem will be a bad (cold/fractured) solder joint, this the issue.

I would say one of the pixel IC's around where you flexed the ribbon.

If this was just purchased within a year you are under warranty, call tech support at LOR.

This was the 2 nd year I used this ribbon...........and the stress was my fault.

Steve

You have a couple of choices, you could just cut out the damged pixel and end up with a 49 pixel strip, or you can attempt to repair the damaged solder join which is likely to be on the IC but could also be on the capacitors or resistors. For me all i did was cut the silicone cover at where i wanted to repair, then i just filled it in with silicone to make it waterproof again once fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having this exact same problem with a CCR that hasnt even seen the outdoors yet.

I'm going to be sending mine in for repair. But by the sounds of it, you are far past the warranty time... You could still send it in for replacement, but it will likely end up costing you money (on top of your shipping charges).

I sent the ribbon to LOR for repair. Dan indicated that it will be covered under a warranty repair. This is one heck of a company standing behind its' product. I am one major supporter of this company. They have been there with the support I have needed during my 3 years of animated lighting.

Steve

Ron Amedee wrote:

I agree with Jeff..I'll buy the boken ones also just for the short runs and won't have to worry about voiding the warrenty.

Ditto!

I have to wait 2 years before cutting mine : (

My new ribbon arrived today. It doesn't get any better than this!!!! I was curious how this thing is made, but am much happier that I don't have to put one of my babies under the knife.

Steve

• The topic was locked