Light-O-Rama Forums

Computerized display, initial setup cost question?

Guest guest

Don wrote:

8 vs. 16 = Well, 8 is half of 16, which limits you to half as many options. For example, if you have 16 mini trees, but only 8 channels, either you have to double them up, or only animate 8 of them.

There is something that I think is worth mentioning about the question of whether to get an 8 or 16 channel box:

The more boxes you have the easier it is to place them close to the lights they will be controlling. If you get a 16 channel box to control lights on both sides of the yard, you end up running long extension cords in all directions. If you get (2) 8 channel boxes then you only need to run two really long cords (one to each box) and then shorter ones from there.

I plan on ending up with a few 16 channel boxes for the larger elements (such as mega trees) and all of the rest 8 channel boxes to minimize extension cords.

gaines wrote:

There is something that I think is worth mentioning about the question of whether to get an 8 or 16 channel box:

Very well said. I'm lucky that in my case, I have a smallish yard, and I don't run into that problem.

If you have a larger yard, it's something to consider.

Dear Curious and Smitten:

Okay, it seems everyone in the world has seen Carson's Vid. I have rec'd it 8 times in email form, and been referred to it more often than that. Before you go off and buy the "stuff" ... and I suggest you do, if you are at all "obsessed" with Christmas and Christmas Lights ... let me give you the warnings, in other words let me knock the bloom off the rose for you ... So that when you do it, you'll be ready! Because you WILL do it.

Surgeon General's Warning:

What you are about to do is more addictive than cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol. It will eat your "lunch" and your "lunch money" too! It will only take ONE dose/exposure/encounter to find yourself permanently HOOKED! There are currently NO 12 step programs for LOR or Animated Lighting Enthusiasts, but some of you will need an "intervention"!!! And you will not listen to further warnings once you engage in this endeavor.

Your spouse and friends will come to assume you have either died or are doing something on the computer that polite people don't talk about. The time you will invest will not simply be in the purchase and installation of said devices. From now until next Christmas, you will be thinking about it, everyday! You will doodle Christmas Designs. You will automatically calculate wattage and amperage in your head evertime you see or hear about Christmas Lights.

You will think about songs that will best show off your display's abilities. You will play CDs of Christmas music all year long in your car, just so you can imagine how you might "animate" your lights to it. You will nearly hit several cars while day dreaming to the sounds of the "Overture from Mircale on 34th Street." You will search the internet for new and wondrous ideas. You will go to sleep and wake up thinking about lights, dancing, blinking, fading, twinkling LIGHTS. And you will find that whatever number of channels you initially purchase, IT WILL NOT BE ENOUGH!

You are advised to turn-back, lest ye have a strong temperment, and can resist urges that will present themselves to you.

HAVE YOU CHOSEN?

I see you have. Take my hand. We are entering in to the most wonderful part of the most wonderful time of the year!

Please step quickly on to the moving platform!
(Phrases/thoughts to remember, and re-read often.)

• "The cost of the box/board ... is NOT the most expensive part."
  • "Extensions Cords, you will need more than you think. A lot more!"
  • "Sequencing/programming takes practice. Think at least 1 to 3 hours per minute of music."
  • "Multiply the number of lights you have now times 3."
  • "Every inch of your home will suddenly require lights to accent it's features."
  • "Installation, will take longer than last year. I know, I didn't believe it either."
  • "Storage will become an issue, but don't bother me with that until January."
  • "Just when you think you have everything lined up and ready to go ... be ready to order another LOR box."
  • "Calculate your amperage needs long before the Fall. If you need more access to power, and you'll need time to get it installed."
  • "Assume you will need more capacity than you calcuated, because there is always NEXT year. And you will want MORE."
  • "Start buying supplies ASAP. Start looking for sales. NOW NOW NOW!"
  • "A little at a time will be easier on the family budget than all at once. Plus, almost everything is more expensive when you are in a hurry."
  • "Plan like you are preparing to build the Empire State Building. Spreadsheets, Notes, Drawings, More Notes, pictures, save favorite web pages, find a buddy on Planet Christmas, MORE NOTES. Trust me, you won't be able to remember everthing."
  • "Start helping your friends out with projects all through the year! You are going to want them to OWE you some help. Oh, and you should plan on them not being around for the 'take down'."
  • "It's a cheap thrill to sit in front of your own house in your car watching the lights with all the people who love your work."
  • "Watch for Light-o-Rama to have a big sale after the holidays. So don't spend all your money!"
  • "And finally, "Planet Christmas" IS your best friend in this endeavor. Just ask, and an answer will come with a smile and a helping hand -- from someone who started just like you!"

Enjoy the Ride!

Having said all the above, and being in the middle of my first LOR year. After all the hard work, the hours and hours of time devoted to it, and the expense ... I would do it again ... WITHOUT QUESTION!

All the best to you, and Merry Christmas!

T.

I need all of the help and expertise of a veteran.....I am looking to build / design a display for 2006 and want to start now purchasing parts, lights and cords etc..etc..etc.. but I need to know how the computer communicates through the serial port to the boards or will I have to install something into my computer and then run out a cord to something else, and what would that something else be? How do you get power to the SSR's if you build your own?