Light-O-Rama Forums

Computerized display, initial setup cost question?

Guest guest

Hello,

I have been recently looking at the LOR1602 product for $299. If I get this controller and the Light-O-Rama software, will I be able to synchronize a display to music from my PC or will I need additional components?

I have been able to make some pretty neat angels, and I would like to put 8 angels above a nativity scene and have them sing an accapella version of hark the herald angels sing, with the different angels lighting up when the extra parts come in, like they are the ones singing. I have a corner lot, so I wanted to do this on one side of the yard, and do something else with the other 8 channels on a different part of the yard, but can not justify paying a ton of money in one lump sum for decorations. I prefer to spend a ton of money throughout the year on clearance items.

"KC", the 1602 is a very good start to an even better display. For a lot of people one or two of the 160X series cards will do everything they want to do. Be warned though, as you start playing with computer control from any vendor, you will find yourself NEEDING more! It becomes addictive!

Very addictive! I have plands for 6 new 16ch controllers! Thats 108 channels for next year ansd am planning to buy over 30k lights this year.

For your question, that is all you need in controlling aspects, but what you also need to think about is weather you will use a radio transmitter or speakers. You will need a computer, a box for your controlller, lights etc. etc.

I bought the 16ch controller/software and thought I would have a great display, after I got all that I ended up with more then 700$ invested this year. You can't stop once you get started so makesure you have/want to spend the money on all of it. Of course animated displays are easy and cheaper.

Zac

VERY addictive! I started this year with just an 8 channel to "try things out"...well now I'm planning on at least 16 more channels in place before Halloween '06.

Jeff_Womack wrote:

"KC", the 1602 is a very good start to an even better display. For a lot of people one or two of the 160X series cards will do everything they want to do. Be warned though, as you start playing with computer control from any vendor, you will find yourself NEEDING more! It becomes addictive!

KC,

I am diving in also in 2006 - My wife is getting me the starter kit for Christmas and one 1602 controller - I have spent hours playing with the sample LOR will let you download - I can't wait to get it and get stared for real - I will probably buy at least one additional 1602 so I can have 2 for next Christmas. Then it's katie bar the door from that point on.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

This spring, an electrician friend of mine is running 4 dedicated circuits out of my electrical box for just Christmas lights - Running under ground conduint (sp) and i'll have GFCI outdoor plugs all around my fence and all around the house and a couple in the front yard. I don't know all of the electrician lingo, But he say's I'll be able to run a whole lot of lights without burning the house down. ;) I thought that was comforting. BUT I know I will still need BUNCHES of extension cords! I have them now!

My wife say's, She figures I'll want a 1602 at every outlet - that will be (17)

You know she's right! :santa: I've got big plans!!!! :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Man, I love Christmas!!!!!

Here's my song!

All I want for Christmas is a 1602 - a 1602 - a 1602! - All I want for Christmas is a 1602 - and LOR kit to run it!:santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa:

MERRY TO ALL and to all a good night!

Glenn

So if you use all this LOR stuff, you need a computer set up at the site? I'm thinking about doing a display to music in local park next year. Will I need to leave a laptop there? I actually have an old laptop that I don't use anymore.

BTW.....

I LOVE this site

**Newbie Alert **

I caught the bug by just seeing the news reports of Carsons display. Now reading the forums I have a question.
What do you get for 8 channels vs. 16 channels..? How many lights can you control with 8 vs. 16. Does it matter what kind of lights (LED, ROPE, mini's, etc.)?

I guess price is an issue considering a $500 investment just to get started but what does this really give me control of? Certainly not a display worthy of the Carson show.. :P

Thanks..

Well there are two things you must remember.
1. You never have enough extension cords.
2. When you think you have enough extension cords you will realize you need more.

If you get 17 of the 16channel cards that will be 272 channels. If everything is right next to every controller then you will still need 272 six foot cords.

Now think about what you you will place where. Then think if you are going to double up any items. That will take twice as many.

And to tell you the truth. I dream of extension cords. If I am at a yard sale that is the second thing I ask. First, do you have decorations second any extension cords.

Now the important part. Test everyone. Even the new ones. I had a new one pop a fuse this year. Plugged it into an outlet and it tripped the breaker. Just was a bad cord.

Have fun cause I sure do.

simonduz wrote:

**Newbie Alert **

I caught the bug by just seeing the news reports of Carsons display. Now reading the forums I have a question.
What do you get for 8 channels vs. 16 channels..? How many lights can you control with 8 vs. 16. Does it matter what kind of lights (LED, ROPE, mini's, etc.)?

I guess price is an issue considering a $500 investment just to get started but what does this really give me control of? Certainly not a display worthy of the Carson show.. :P

Thanks..

8 vs. 16 = Well, 8 is half of 16, which limits you to half as many options. For example, if you have 16 mini trees, but only 8 channels, either you have to double them up, or only animate 8 of them.

My advise has always been, "Start with what you have, and go from there." Don't try to add to much the first year. I added mini-trees and a grid. (And a few colors in the trees.) I didn't go and add everything I could find. Once I knew what I wanted to do, I could figure up how many channels I wanted to run, thus allowing me to buy the number of boards I needed.

As far as the lights, does not matter what you use. All of the ones you mentioned are compatible with LOR. Your only concern will be staying within the amperage limits of the controllers.