Light-O-Rama Forums

DIY vs Prebuilt

evan.a

edvas69 wrote:

That depends if you put a value on the time it takes to build and test. Some dont others will.

I prefer the pre-built, yes, cost is a little more, but I look at it this way, by purchasing it pre-built, it has already undergone somewhat of a "burn-in" period, been tested and is less likely to fail than one you spend many hours on building, and then find you may have soldered something in the wrong way (like an IC which could cause damage to the IC and possibly surrounding circuitry).

So yes, cost is a few bucks more, but well worth it to me to know it has less chance of failure than a DIY kit. But that's just my rationalization/opinion. :P

Orville wrote:

edvas69 wrote:
That depends if you put a value on the time it takes to build and test. Some dont others will.

I prefer the pre-built, yes, cost is a little more, but I look at it this way, by purchasing it pre-built, it has already undergone somewhat of a "burn-in" period, been tested and is less likely to fail than one you spend many hours on building, and then find you may have soldered something in the wrong way (like an IC which could cause damage to the IC and possibly surrounding circuitry).

So yes, cost is a few bucks more, but well worth it to me to know it has less chance of failure than a DIY kit. But that's just my rationalization/opinion. :P

Same here !!

I am for the Do it yourself. $104 for the board at the sale. box from online $10. 6' cords from Menards for 77 cents X16 +13.30 including tax. $8 for the main power cords. So for fully functional unit about 150. added in small supplies like connectors ect. I do the soldering in the hotel rooms while I am on the road to take up time. So I don't count that as a bad thing. Sometimes I sit in the crew room and solder. Wish there was an outlet on the plane so I could get some of these done. LOL.

plus I like the accomplishment of saying I put the boards together.

My personal ones are nearly all ones I soldered together myself. But I enjoy that sort of thing. So the savings were just sort of incidental. If I were getting more this year, I think I would wind up paying more, just to free up the evening that it would take me to put it together.

The city show ones are all card assembled units.

Darn, where I bought mine from (boxes), they are no longer carrying them. Paid $9.84 last year(2010) from the YourBroadband Store, but shipping was also a little over $9.00, so it cost me closer to $20.00 with shipping.

Wonder why they quit selling the boxes?

Nothing like a cold refreshing drink in one hand and a hot soldering iron in the other hand. Plug it in for the burn test and then plug the light and watch them blinkie blink. That the way I enjoy doing it.

I buy mine prebuilt......you basically gotta look at it if you think your time costs you $$. If the parts cost $150...and I buy the unit already soldered for $205. I look at it that soldering would take me more than 2 hrs...so then I'm losing $$. But I'm sure some people are proficient at it and can get it done much quicker

I am in both camps. I have 9 lor boards and just finished my 3 renard 24 channel SS board. I have 3 more coming in the group buy I spent just under $60 for each board and all part including heat sink. My time is mine I am not paying myself for doing work for my self.it takes me a little longer to do each board just cause my skills are not as fast as some members but I am in no hurry to build them all. I am really waiting on LOR and there new DMX unit that is coming out this Summer to be able to run it all . as most of you know LOR use's there own language to speak to each controller so you cant use just any DMX dongle it has to convert LOR to dmx. I also believe the cheap case are coming from a group buy that is all ready closed on a different board.

Dale L

I've done the half-way route - all the soldering is done; I just have to attach the 16 pigtail cords to the board. Other than the one unit where I forgot to put in the rubber moisture protecters, I've never had any issues.

I've never soldered, so I don't want to try with this equipment. But I know a little about electrical stuff, so it makes me feel like I know what I'm doing...even if it's just knowing a little bit!

I have built all of mine, wouldn't do it any other way. Just started another one yesterday afternoon before leaving on a trip.

I don't put a "price" on my time building them, I echo the "cold drink and a hot soldering iron" comment. For me it's an incredible stress relief from the nuttiness and stress of my day job.

Its an "each to his own" decision..I look at it as time spent on the hobby...just like making mini-trees, or sequencing, or even posting on the boards to help others.

Building the controllers, putting together the wiring plan, etc., is my favorite part of the whole hobby....

I didn't mean to make myself sound like a penny pincher when I said I look at my time. But when I would rather spend my personal with my family(new baby) and building difference displays for the show than to solder circuit boards. Like everyone says, basically a personal choice. No way is any better than the other.

I bought the kits where you attach the cords.

This year I bought a card that needs to be soldered.

Will find out if it was a good idea or not.

Card is a spare just in case.

Jeff Millard wrote:

LightsinMaine wrote:
I didn't mean to make myself sound like a ...snip...

I don't think anyone took it in a bad way. I used to account for every second of my time and placed a big burden on myself if I "wasted" it doing things that didn't save me money. The point I was making saying the cost wasn't an issue to me, is that this is my stress reliever. Taking a soldering iron to a Light-O-Rama controller kit, and having that thing work flawlessly each and every time (save for one) makes me feel good. That's worth every dime. I know it makes Dawn happy to see me happy about it, so it's doubly worth it. I didn't mean or intend to belittle your discussion if my post made you feel bad in any way. I completely understand the need to be frugal in this hobby. I have learned many frugal ways from the masters here in this hobby in my tenure.

Cheers! ...and Congratulations on the new offspring!

Jeff

No offense taken Jeff.

I put my first unit together myself. I wanted to be able to say that I have done it. My time to work on projects has become very limited so the last couple units I purchased the units where I installed the cords.

It all depends on the person and what works for them.