Light-O-Rama Forums

Differences between USB-RS485 Adaptors?

ace_master

I see 3 different USB adapters in the LOR store, and was wondering if someone could elaborate in the differences between them (specifically between the last 2).

USB-RS485 Adapter
http://store.lightorama.com/uscoad.html

USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster
http://store.lightorama.com/uscoadwivobo.html

USB-RS485 Isolated Adapter with Booster
http://store.lightorama.com/usisad.html

Do both of the last 2 have multiple RJ45 out (saw in the Data-Sheet that one of them has dual-out RJ45, but didn't see any info in either of the items sale pages)?

Page 9 - Isolation - #1
You have multiple networks (more than one
adapter on the PC directing your show.) Multiple
networks usually mean a larger display where
the display is powered by multiple power
distribution points or transformers. In this
situation, isolation is often required for proper
operation.

I'm to understand that an LOR network will comfortably handle about 6-8 Cosmic Color Ribbons... Does this mean that it is recommended that I buy a $100 ISOLATED adapter for every 6-8 CCB/CCRs in my show?

Ace,

Here is my understanding of what you quoted. They are saying that with multiple sources of power. That you could create a ground loop or an imbalance of voltages. This could put noise on the command wires and disrupt the commands going out to the controllers. Also if there is a short between 120VAC and your RS-485 wires you could destroy your computer. This also holds true for a voltage pulse from a near by lighting strike.

True if you get 120VAC or a impulse on the RS-485 wires. Your controllers are going to have problems. So the "iso" versions can eleminate several problems that are not fatal. But it will also minimize fatal damages.

This is my take on the advantages of the ISO version over the non-ISO version. And as you noted that they have two RJ-45 jacks.

ace_master wrote:

Page 9 - Isolation - #1
You have multiple networks (more than one
adapter on the PC directing your show.) Multiple
networks usually mean a larger display where
the display is powered by multiple power
distribution points or transformers. In this
situation, isolation is often required for proper
operation.

I'm to understand that an LOR network will comfortably handle about 6-8 Cosmic Color Ribbons... Does this mean that it is recommended that I buy a $100 ISOLATED adapter for every 6-8 CCB/CCRs in my show?

This may be referencing to the number of channels (either for CCRs or other controllers) that could start to create visible delays in effects. I think somewhere around 500 channels people typically start to see issues. Then they add another adapter to create a second LOR network to handle the traffic. How that limit translates to CCRs (and your usage of them) would depend on if you were using the full 150 channel resolution and how many effects (channel commands) you used at the same time.

I believe the isolated adapter is typically recommended for noisy environments like three-phase industrial power, or multiple power transformers (as referenced in the text you listed).