Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX fixture with multiple gobos

PerryH

I am starting research into DMX lighting. I would like a fixture that will allow me to project a different image for each song. These will need to be custom gobos (Grinch, Snow Miser, Heat Miser, etc.). Some of the lights mention interchangeable gobo wheels while some just say multiple gobos. Am I correct in thinking that unless it says interchangeable, these lights will come with a default set of gobos from the factory that cannot be changed?

Thanks

Some of the gobos on my lights are interchangeable and others are fixed. The interchangeable gogos have a top that comes off to allow easy changing The fixed gobos are epoxied on and could be broken free, changed and re-expoxied. It would take some effort to get it right but it could be done. I thought I might change out some of my gobos too. There are many different sized gobos so double check on the size before ordering. The professional level lights are very easy to change.
Al

Sometimes it is not easy to find out if the gobos are removeable on your fixture. You can call the vendor they should be able to tell you, or the Mfgr, they will know for certain.

Roscoe and Apollo have a lot of Christmas gobos, but getting custom made ones can be very expensive.

Sizing is important, even if there is a tolerance range, you can specifiy the exact size when you order them. This is important. I had to get another complete set re-done to the exact Martin Mac size. Roscoe sent me some that were a touch too small and they kept moving within thier aperture opening. They said that they were within Martin Mac's tolerance. Fortunately they re-did them and did not charge me.

One thing you need to consider is ensuring that you get them oriented right. Usually standard gobos are uni-directional. Pictures or phrases HAVE to be displayed properly. I have spent a lot of time mucking with replacement gobos to ensure they are directionally correct.

Al, I might not mess with the epoxied gobos. Unless you use the right stuff, you can damage your light if the epoxy is not heat tolerant. They get very hot. The manufacturer should be able to tell you.

• 1 month later...

Check out a Technobeam. made by high end systems - I cant say exactly how many slots it has, but I used to work production and we used these lights a lot.

The fixture has a color wheel, and a gobo wheel - very versital. The light is out of production, but you can find them on ebay. its about 1,000.00 a bit pricy, but you can really control a lot - intensity, color, x,y axis, gobo and gobo rotation.

• The topic was locked