Light-O-Rama Forums

I have just been threatened!

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

Help my wife has just threatened me, this is what she said quote for quote

"if you don't take down the christmas lights this weekend I am leaving you"

What should I do :P

I am sooooooooooooooooooo confused LOL

Your sig says "My wife thinks I am nuts, man is she smart".

Sounds like you should listen to her. ;)

Maybe you should try and get them down before the weekend. :P

And, if snow/ice is a problem with taking them down maybe you should ask her to help you by blowing some of her hot air on all the wires. :shock:
That should help. ;) lol

My wife just threatens to take them down herself and then throw them in the garbage.... she is very smart because it works on me

Of course living in Alabama I can't use the weather excuse as long as most of you.

Perhaps if you negotiate a deal with her like " Gee honey maybe we should go shopping" or "Why don't we go to that nice restaurant you like so much?" Isn't it time to have your Mother over?

I wouldn't want to damage any of the elements by yanking them out of the snow

I unfortunately am a widower so I get to call my own shots.

If you can store your lights easier after she moves her stuff out, at least worth a more careful review... if you'd have to give her half of the lights in a settlement, I'd just take them down. But, next weekend, you turn it around.... "I'm going to buy more lights unless you....." - and then buy them anyway.

Let us know how it turns out, until then I've blocked my wife from reading the forums.

My wife taught me to never ask her about buying lights.
When I have she always said YES and then went out and bought something for herself.
Somehow she doesn't remember this and when the lights arrive she has another reason to shop.

I got 20,000 blinking lights, a mega tree, 12 new controllers and thousands of feet of electrical cords just for me WIFE!

Sure'darn' gona miss that woman she wur dang good'en cook,

There is always a third option. If you play it out and leave the lights up, she may not leave you and just start cutting up cords and throw everything away. Maybe you should be asking yourself if you can handle the lights leaving you!

Don, Just pack up all of your controllers, mail them to me, and tell her that "I'm too upset about my controllers being stolen that I can't even look at those lights." I will mail them back to you at a later date, I promise!!

shfr26 wrote:

Don, Just pack up all of your controllers, mail them to me, and tell her that "I'm too upset about my controllers being stolen that I can't even look at those lights." I will mail them back to you at a later date, I promise!!
Is that later date January of 2044?

BrownOut wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
Is that later date January of 2044?

Why that soon??

Guest Don Gillespie

OK OK I have finally stopped laughing at all the great posts to this thread I have been holding off taking down the lights because of all the snow but it looks like we are getting some serious warm weather for the next few days will take them down sorry pete no controllers for you, Tgabriel she is a keeper, Paul she is smarter than me hell I wouldn't marry me :P, George I never tried the only take part of them down trick yet, Greg she has all the say on the LOR budget ;), I wouldn't want to see Jason going through my garbage had that threat also, Mike how can I compete with you, you have a hardwood floor to build your displays on ;), medman 2000 never thought about it that way maybe there could be more storage, itmebobo for every string of lights I have she has two pair of shoes :D,cctexas I think thats why I am going to take them down my wife can cook real good to ;), donfl absolutly this will affect the golf and not just in Scotland either :P, brownout good point don't need a bunch of short strings of lights, in short they will be coming down this weekend and now that I know everyone else has time to reply to a post like this how about coming up here to help me out LOL :P

MY wife doesn't bother me. She knows who wears the pants in this family. She was so sweet that she told me she had the ladder set up for me and would hold it while I got on the roof.:P

Terry Hurrle wrote:

She knows who wears the pants in this family.

Remember the important thing is not who wears the pants. It's who wears the skirt.

Don, take the lights down. She will under stand. You don't want to be the one wearing the skirt in the family. (unless your into that sort of thing) Of course if you do take them down and she is unhappy you mite not get any ware near the her skirt in a while. Good luck!

Steve

This is why I have an old mobile coat/clothes rack I can string lights on(have to be strung vertical instead of horizontal), and it can hold a lot of short (35-50 light strings, about 20-25 strings for testing) and I also have(had) an area for my some of my blowmolds to sit at and have my controllers connected to everything while lying on the floor. This way I wouldn't have neighbors complaining about Christmas lights still hanging from the roof. Aside from that we lived in a HOA at the time and they would come and fine you if you didn't take them down within a specifc date after Christmas. So in Florida we don't have the luxury of snow or usually ice, although we did have some ice this past year in December, for an exucse not to get things down.

Still do it this way in the apartment that we moved to where I have even LESS room than I did before. But at least I can still set up lights and BM's to test my sequences out and then when the time comes I remove the light strings from the mobile coat/clothes rack, disconnect everything and move the blowmolds, lights and controllers all outside.

So maybe you can find a spot in the house or in the garage (if you have one) or even make a space in a storage shed for a "work area" to do your sequencing where you could do something similar?

Here's where you can find those rolling clothes racks:(range from $29.95(usually $40.00) upwards to hundreds of dollars).

http://www.bedbathstore.com/exgara.html

http://www.storefixturesupply.com/rolling-racks.html

http://www.target.com/Folding-Garment-Rack/dp/B000KHPFGC

If you're lucky you may be able to find and buy one or several dirt cheap at a store that is selling off its fixtures and everything that has is going out of business or possibly find one in a thrift store for sale. I actually got mine by visiting stores in my area that were going to close or move or just didn't want to move everthing . I picked my rolling clothes rack up for $10! Would have bought a couple more for that price, but got the last one they had at the time. So now I check out stores in my area that may be closijg to see just what they may be selling off, never know what you might find that could be of use and KEEP THE WIFE HAPPY while you do your "sequence thing". :D

Below is a photo of my old workroom when we were in the house. In the backround you can see the rolling coat rack I use to string and test lights on. You can't see the bottom of the rack (on the floor the excess lights are coiled up). But maybe you can get something like that or build something to test your sequences in your own work area.

Attached files 239344=13047-Halloween-workroom-03.jpg