Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Intro

Aaron Maue

So, when I looked at the wilmesfamilylights post about last year's show, I discovered that he had included a show introduction.

Do you include one? What information? More of a teaser to direct them to a website? Or give them more detail?

This being my first year, I was considering playing a quick intro sequence to show what we had last year and what we have this year (about 10x more lights, and LOR is new). But I wasn't even thinking about what other stuff I might include.

Would love to hear what everyone else does.

I did a short intro welcoming everyone to the show...

plus the following:

1) Rules (ie, headlights off, no honking, stay out of neighbors driveways, be courteous)
2) Hours
3) Charities
4) When My Interactive Buttons would be available and working

At the end of my second show I also had a skit sequenced where the kids (Elves to my Santa) showed and explained the number of lights and other details about the show.

Hi

While I have been running LOR animations for several years, 2010 was the first year I ran with a synchronized show - only a few songs. I did include an Introduction to give some basic information about the lights and show. see

I included a couple of interactive buttons to provide additional flashing lights near the donation box. These worked well with the children in particular and I will improve this detail for 2011.

Hope this helps Geoff

I do not use an intro.

My show loops continuous, and I've noticed that some people drive up, stay for a few songs, then drive on. I like it this way, as it prevents traffic problems rather then if someone has to wait for a particular time for a show to start.

I have half a dozen or so announcements (approx. 30 seconds each) that I rotate during the course of the evening, each covering a different topic. The welcome announcement at the top of the show is kind of like what Jim described, giving the rules, website address, info sheet and free candy cane location, reminder to be careful in the street, and food shelf collection info. That one runs about 60 seconds and is accompanied with light animation (not synchronized).

I do an opening. This past year was a poem (or more accurately a ryhme), just a fun little thing that was recited by the Demented Elf himself. After the poem I do a short sequence to the Fox Fanfare. I only run it right at the begining of the night. I have two different announcements for during the rest of the night that I run every three or four songs. One is for the charity that we're running money for - explaining about the charity. The other is asking people to be courtious etc. I do a closing for the end of the night. I use the Looney Tunes That's All Folks song.

JBullard wrote:

I do not use an intro.

My show loops continuous, and I've noticed that some people drive up, stay for a few songs, then drive on. I like it this way, as it prevents traffic problems rather then if someone has to wait for a particular time for a show to start.

This is how I run mine too. Not many people will sit and wait for the whole show to run (20+ minutes).

CKSedg wrote:

Not many people will sit and wait for the whole show to run (20+ minutes).

I disagree completely. Maybe people have a longer attention span in Minnesota, because twenty+ minutes is about the LEAST amount of time that people sit out front.

CKSedg wrote:

I had two 25 minute shows...and a majority of people would watch both shows and then start watching the first one again...and I KNOW it was not because of my sequencing skills!!!

I think it was the novelty of never having seen Christmas Lights set to music before since most of the nicer Christmas Lights shows around here are outside of the greater Seattle area...like Zman (Mark Zembruski) in Woodinville, WA and Kevin and Fran Thomas in Kent, WA...

George Simmons wrote:

CKSedg wrote:

I disagree completely. Maybe people have a longer attention span in Minnesota, because twenty+ minutes is about the LEAST amount of time that people sit out front.

Wow, that's great, George. I love to hear what works with everyone. It never ceases to amaze me how different it can be across the country. I have people in my church who talk to me every week and still have not sat long enough to see the whole show. No patience in Utah, I guess.

George Simmons wrote:

CKSedg wrote:

I agree with George. Most of my visitors stayed al least 20 minutes and I had several that stayed for an hour or more. Some of those came back 2-4 times a week and sat for over an hour.

I do not do an into, I take care of it at the ending. Show times - days of week and hours - accepting donations for the local food pantry and the next show will start in a few minutes.

My display is more like a dance party than a show. Many of the songs are "Dance Party Christmas" songs and the lights transition gently and stay on between songs (the opposite of they way George does it). Visitors seem to come and go at random (few people have much patience in this area) so it didn't seem to make sense to package it as a "show."

The last (shutdown) sequence of the night tells them the show is over and to come back tomorrow so they won't think the display just crashed. This year I'm going to add a half-hour of dim lights and voiceovers telling them that the show already ended and to come back tomorrow.

Steven wrote:

(few people have much patience in this area)

This year I'm going to add a half-hour of dim lights and voiceovers telling them that the show already ended and to come back tomorrow.

WOW...

if it takes a half hour for them to know that the show is over, I would say they have LOTS of patience!!! :D

jimswinder wrote:

if it takes a half hour for them to know that the show is over, I would say they have LOTS of patience!!! :D

That brings up a good point. I'll have to make sure the voiceover says they have missed the show and to try again tomorrow, earlier.

We do get people who apparently are out partying and then drive by after 11:00, thinking the display will still be on.

Steven wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

That brings up a good point. I'll have to make sure the voiceover says they have missed the show and to try again tomorrow, earlier.

We do get people who apparently are out partying and then drive by after 11:00, thinking the display will still be on.

I guess my point was, if the lights are on...even if dimmed, they will think it is a "show"...

My show ends and the lights go out for the night...no announcements, house is dark.

I have only seen people sit there for about 15 seconds before they drive off.

I guess I have "brain-washed" my "rats" to react to certain "conditions".. :P

jimswinder wrote:

Steven wrote:
jimswinder wrote:

I guess my point was, if the lights are on...even if dimmed, they will think it is a "show"...

My show ends and the lights go out for the night...no announcements, house is dark.

I have only seen people sit there for about 15 seconds before they drive off.

I guess I have "brain-washed" my "rats" to react to certain "conditions".. :P

recent photograph of the crowd at Jim's show further validating his point:

JimsMinions.jpg

caniac wrote:

JimsMinions.jpg

that's them cheering becasue the show FINALLY ended!!! :D

No Intro here. Or Out-tro either. But I have lots of time for mid-tros all during the show. About every 7 minutes.

I start my show very early, just as it gets dark. 4:30 and there is never anyone here for the opening to hear any special remarks. At the end I just keep adding 30 minutes until everyone is gone so no special ending recording. The latest I ever ran was 1:30am on a Saturday.

caniac wrote:

JimsMinions.jpg

Looks like two of them were playing with an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle, and shot one of their eyes out....

Sorry, couldn't resist... I'll crawl back in my hole now.