Light-O-Rama Forums

YBBS closes

Max-Paul

Appears to have closed down. I heard one rumor is that the small orders killed them. But I think they just did not price their products properly. But I have to say I loved buying boxes for only about 10 bucks.

So, heads up so you can start looking for a new source. Anyone find a good source please post up the location so that we all can get in on a good deal.

This was announced last November. Most of us went ahead and ordered additional inventory to have on hand.

Their parent company ( Arris ) still sells the Kepal boxes, but requires a minimum order of $250.

Another source for an 8.75 X 8.75 X 3.5 box is here.

YBBS is, or was anyway, Your Broad Band Store. Bummer.

Thanks John for the tip. Have you used any of those boxes?

Oh, yes. I had been ordering for years from YBBS. (or did you mean the link I posted to another source - then no, I just ran across that product - but the shipping is high)

When YBBS made the announcement back in November, they were continuing the free shipping promotion, and also the special $7.00 pricing on the CG-1500 Blue Ridge boxes, so I loaded up on the CG-1500, CG-2000 and TA200 boxes.

For the money I saved on their November special deals, I can afford to store them in inventory and have them on hand.

One of our fellow hobbists in Texas is buying in bulk from Arris and drop shipping to folks that just need a couple at a time, the shipping is a killer, imo. I got spoiled on free shipping from YBBS

JBullard wrote:

This was announced last November. Most of us went ahead and ordered additional inventory to have on hand.

Their parent company ( Arris ) still sells the Kepal boxes, but requires a minimum order of $250.

Another source for an 8.75 X 8.75 X 3.5 box is here.

I've ordered from these guys before for satellite TV related stuff...good service, good product, but they will bury you in spam marketing mail..and they don't seem to understand "unsubscribe" even when the request is sent to the owner of the company.

It was bad enough that, that issue alone, makes me a definite former customer of theirs...

JBullard wrote:

Oh, yes. I had been ordering for years from YBBS. (or did you mean the link I posted to another source - then no, I just ran across that product - but the shipping is high)

When YBBS made the announcement back in November, they were continuing the free shipping promotion, and also the special $7.00 pricing on the CG-1500 Blue Ridge boxes, so I loaded up on the CG-1500, CG-2000 and TA200 boxes.

For the money I saved on their November special deals, I can afford to store them in inventory and have them on hand.

One of our fellow hobbists in Texas is buying in bulk from Arris and drop shipping to folks that just need a couple at a time, the shipping is a killer, imo. I got spoiled on free shipping from YBBS

Thanks for not telling the rest of us. If I would have know this I would have ordered some also. I have seen on other sites that Arris sell them for 6.12 in bulk. so can you tell us who this Texas hobbist is so that we can contact him.

I remember the post and the thread..plenty of discussion...surprised it wasn't noticed.

But I'd agree with John sending each of us 5 enclosures (I'll take the 1500s) to clear his conscience..;):D

friskybri wrote:

JBullard wrote:

Thanks for not telling the rest of us. If I would have know this I would have ordered some also. I have seen on other sites that Arris sell them for 6.12 in bulk. so can you tell us who this Texas hobbist is so that we can contact him.

There were lots of threads on almost all of the better decorating forums

The fellow in Texas is not a member of this forum, but is active on several others and there are numerous posts he has made regarding him stocking and reselling the Keptal boxes.

DonFL wrote:

I remember the post and the thread..plenty of discussion...surprised it wasn't noticed.

I must have sleep-walked through November. Either that or this isn't one of those "better decorating forums" that John referred to... I never saw anything about it because I, too, would have stocked up.

I guess this is not agood decorating form. It sure was not on here. I can't think of a better site. George maybe I will contact and get a huge order of these. Anyone interested. If I knew this I would have told our family here. The LOR family. By the way side note last day for 75 cent 6 foot cords at menards.

George Simmons wrote:

DonFL wrote:

I must have sleep-walked through November. Either that or this isn't one of those "better decorating forums" that John referred to... I never saw anything about it because I, too, would have stocked up.

George,

Maybe a bad selection of words.

In my mind, this is a VENDOR sponsored forum, and since LOR sells cases for their products........

I was referring to the INDEPENDENT (non vendor specific) decorating forums. I belong to a least 12 different forums, and some lean or gravitate more to particular decorating elements or supplies.

All of the DIY type forums, (DIYC, DIYLA, and others ) and including Christmas Carolina had discussions regarding YBBS closing and the specials, since those members were very dependent on the YBBS cases. (Don't know about PC since I never go there) Even HU had posts starting early November regarding the closing

I come here for information regarding my LOR products, DIYLA for my Lynx boards and to follow the Prancer software, DIYC for general homebrew stuff and the Aussie guys for RGB, Tiger boards and E1.31 support information. Christmas Carolina is where I go just for fun and a wide range of decorating discussions.

YBBS was originally scheduled to close the Wed before Thanksgiving, then as the panic buying started, the deadline kept being extended until I believe the first of the year.

Sorry you missed the information posts that were out there.

friskybri wrote:

I guess this is not agood decorating form. It sure was not on here. I can't think of a better site.

I agree this is the BEST (not better - but best) decorating forum for LOR support.

I love my LOR and do consider this the best decorating site for anything LOR. But I own and use other hardware and software products which are not really covered here, such as the Lynx Express, Tiger DMX120, TP3244, E1.31 DR4 boards, RGB support for 1804, 2801, 6803 based pixel strings, DMX discussions (for non-LOR hardware and products), LSP, Prancer and Xlights software, and DIY homebrew construction. These are other decorating items I own or considering owning this year.

So when I need information or support for items other then LOR, and for other DIY products, I go to the appropriate decorating forums where the users and developers of those products are and you can get accurate correct information on those products.

and since most of the DIY controller boards were designed to be used with the Keptal cases, there was always news and information regarding YBBS products. Anytime I wanted to know something about cases for the DIY stuff I build, I consider the DIY decorating forms the better decorating forum source for information on these items, not the LOR forum. Also I usually visit the vendor websites of products I buy on a regular basis just to see what's new or on sale and also sign up for their email announcements (when availiable) on new products and specials.

Guess I thought that others also visted the other forums and vendor websites on a regular basis for product information

Just scored 11 CG-1500s on ebay for 130 bucks shipped...cheaper per enclosure than my order last fall with YBBS...

This is the first I've seen someone selling a bunch like that, doesn't appear they had an idea of real value, but, such is life..

DonFL wrote:

Just scored 11 CG-1500s on ebay for 130 bucks shipped...cheaper per enclosure than my order last fall with YBBS...

This is the first I've seen someone selling a bunch like that, doesn't appear they had an idea of real value, but, such is life..

Congrat's Don. $11.82 per box shipped is a good price today.

My last order last November with YBBS included the CG-1500-A and was for $8.19 each with free shipping, any quantity. The -A were the "secret stash" that could only be ordered by telephone and you had to ask for it, compared to $9.25 in qty 5 for the regular CG-1500 on the website. I also used the 10% discount code for the other boxes I ordered with the free shipping.

Been buying from them for several years, always by telephone. My order last March (2010) the CG-1500-A boxes were on special for only $7.50 each any quantity

When you phoned in the order instead of using the website, Rachel or Dustin could really offer other discounts based on the size of your order and save you ton's of money. Gonna miss them.

Well, we cant change the past but we need to figure out what we are going to do going forward. I love the cg-1000. they fit perfectly, they don't heat up even in 60F weather, they don't leak even in heavy rain. I use incons with them so its the most power draw that will be pulled on them. I will send a message to arris and get a quote from them. I know I want at least 10 for the next few years. I have seen other sites wanting $20 plus shipping for these and they don't have the same bottom holes as the ones we all love. Might have to start a business on these. LOL.

I have seen some on e-bay but they don't have the same bottom side holes as the ones broadband store sold. I like the 5 for power cords and the one on the left for the cat 5 cables. They have an office in chicago. Might have to call there I could pick up many in my truck if they have at location. Its not far off the way to ORD when I drive.

Chicago, IL
ARRIS
2400 Ogden Ave Suite 180
Lisle, IL 60532
Phone: 630-281-3000
Fax: 630-281-3362

Attached files 237192=12942-IMAG0186.jpg

You might also want to check on the CG-1500 boxes, a little larger then the CG-1000 and the CTB-16D boards fit better then in the CG-1000 boxes (which is perfect for the PC boards though)

The guy in Texas had to get a business license to order from ARRIS and is required to charge sales tax where necessary on his sales, and I believe he built a storage building to keep the bulk inventory in, puchase shipping boxes and supplies, etc. I understand he is only offering this service to the members of the forum he belongs to, so I will not post his information here.

Good luck on getting this all set up, and as soon as I use up my inventory (probably by the end of this year) I'll probably be ordering from you as you are closer and the shipping will be less.

I use the following Keptal cases and would be really interested in a new source: TA-200, TA-200-BP, CG-1000, CG-1500 and the CG-2000 sizes.

EDIT: All of mine were always shipped from the ARRIS distribution center in Cary, (Raleigh) NC, and they would not allow local pickup even for the bulk orders placed by the TASL group in Raleigh, they had to ship them. Just an FYI. Good Luck.

Another WHOLESALE only source for the same Keptal boxes (in case things don't work out with ARRIS is here

Your local Graybar store also can obtain the Keptal boxes with a minimum order of 20 I believe. Information is on page 11 of this PDF

http://www.graybar.com/docs/Customer%20Premise%20Equipment.pdf

JBullard wrote:

You might also want to check on the CG-1500 boxes, a little larger then the CG-1000 and the CTB-16D boards fit better then in the CG-1000 boxes (which is perfect for the PC boards though)

Agreed...I have all CTB-16Ds and plenty of space..the 1000 just not enough. Even with the high power heatsink, the 1500 leave plenty of room to work.