Light-O-Rama Forums

Old electronics ID

Westport Lights

This board is part of a power supply unit for a early 80's lighting control board. It has a piece that's blown and I'm trying to repair. Can anyone tell me what the little green things are? They have 10+ 35V+ printed on them. I'm thinking capacitors, but want verification before I get one and solder it in.

Attached files 237007=12930-PS Board.jpg

I don't think their capacitors as the two black ones are capacitors . Do you have a board number and try googling it to find a schematic might be woth a try.

It is not uncommon to have tantalum or ceramic caps in parallel with electrolytic caps. The reason is that the electrolytic ones have a fairly high effective series impedance that limits how quickly they can react. The tantalum or ceramics can't smooth as large a transient, but they can react much faster.

Looks like that is a power supply card, with a couple of voltage regulators in series, each with their filter capacitor, in addition to an initial set off the rectifier, or other inlet source. If you just remove the damaged cap, things should still operate OK on a temporary basis. If not, you likely have further damage.

I agree. It is likely it was a tantalum capacitor. Ceramic capacitors tend to just crack rather than fail explosively. You will need to get the new one the correct way round, otherwise it will do it again.

Regards,

Alan.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Yes, it is a power supply card. The unit still functions fine, but I'm worried that damage will be caused if it's not replaced in the long run. I'll remove the old one right away.

Should I be look for a tantalum capacitor then or a newer style electrolytic? Any ideas where to find one or what size/spec is needed? 10+ 35v+ is marked on it. Does that mean it's 10uF 35v+ ?

That is a tantalum capacitor.

It is probably 1 or three on the board. Yes they will explode like that some times.

It is probably the same capacitor as the other two on the board.

Get another one in the same values just like other two and watch the polarity when installing, Tantalum's will explode if reversed, they are polarity sensitive.

Shoot on down to the local Radio Shack with the board in hand, they may have them in stock, or be able to order. You could also check mouser.com, newark.com, or any other supply house. Good luck

Westport Lights wrote:

Thanks so much for the replies.

Yes, it is a power supply card. The unit still functions fine, but I'm worried that damage will be caused if it's not replaced in the long run. I'll remove the old one right away.

Should I be look for a tantalum capacitor then or a newer style electrolytic? Any ideas where to find one or what size/spec is needed? 10+ 35v+ is marked on it. Does that mean it's 10uF 35v+ ?

Probably 10uF and 35volt. The + is the polarity. Make sure when replacing the + side goes in the same hole they came out of.

Thats definitely a tantalum cap in this case..across each of the larger filter caps. Should be a lot of flexibility as far as value, but if you have a confirmed value for 1, safe to assume they are all the same.

Does Radio Shaft even keep small parts like that in stock anymore?

The local Radio Shack doesn't have them, but I bought a few online, they should be here later this week. Thanks for the input everyone.