Light-O-Rama Forums

Revo 4 LED DMX and setup in LOR

paulanator

Hi Gang,

Everyone here has been great in answering questions, and I have learned so much this past year. I am now going into the deep(er) end and going with DMX.

I do not have the IDMX unit yet, I just received the Revo 4, and this thing is going to be perfect for my big blank driveway area, where I cannot put decorations. The light is stunning and is going to do what I want it to, once I figure it all out!

I have read all the primers and links that the DMX forum here have supplied and as many posts as I could find on the site and it has been helpful.

I have attached a snip of the setup info from the Revo 4's details.

I think I have it figured out, but I Want to make sure.

I am thinking I should use the 4 Channel mode and take advantage of the crazy amount of pre programmed movements and other settings, and I do not want to set up 256 channel mode, correct? (seems like that would be insane to program, but maybe more control?)

The chart shows 4 channels, and as I was typing this out and understanding my own questions, I think I figured part of this out. I am taking a stab at it here, and I need your guidance if I am on the right track or not.

In the Channel Props, Set up a new LOR Controller, A1 - 16 channels

Set up the 4 channels and name them

Using the device:

Say I want a chase I would set Channel one to say a value of 100 (using the conversion chart in the IDMX manual?)

Then I want Chase #2, so I choose any number between 021-041 and set that channel to that number

Then Channel 3 I choose 255 for a Fast Chase, then Ch4 for the strobe effect.

Q#1

Does this appear correct?

Q#2

Assuming this is fairly correct.... lol.... Then It appears in that mode I cannot control colors in a chase, only on a pattern? I am assuming this from the channels and number scheme.

Now, one more annoying question for you DMX gurus, In looking at the 256 mode, since there are 256 LEDs on this unit, I am assuming then when you go to that mode, you are controlling each individual light on 256 channels?

Q#3

Just so I am clear, when the chart shows say Channel 3, color=W, is that saying that the value can be between 052-068, and any of those will activate white?

Thank you so much in advance for any insight you folks can give. I know I should have the IDMX in my hands, that would make things much easier, but I am waiting for the sale :D!

If you are intersted in checking the model out, here is the link

http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1891&Category=L.E.D.

Attached files 235863=12867-Revo4.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I started using a REVO II in 2009 and to best utilize it requires 10 DMX channels. The more channels the more control you have over the patterns. I was looking at a video of the REVO 4’s patterns and it looks great. BTW – I have been very happy the II’s output in my display. The projections are bright and sharp. But I do live on a dark street.

- Dave

Dave,

thanks so much for your reply, that is super encouraging to hear!

Can you tell me a bit about using the 10 channels?

I see the 4 channel mode, but what are you assigning the other channels to?

Are you using them to access the unit in full DMX mode?

Any tips would be appreciated on how you did the setup, as that is what I am working on.

Thanks Again

Hi Paul –

First I made a mistake: I am using the Revo III not II…but with that said here is some info.

The III is basically seven clusters of LEDs behind a fresnel lenses. Each cluster is made up of concentric circles of red, green and blue LEDs.

The III has two DMX modes, four or ten channel modes. In the four channel mode the DMX assignments are: 1-Mode, 2-Pattern/Chase, 3-Strobe/Speed, and 4-Dim. In this mode all of the clusters are controlled at once.

In the 10 channel mode DMX assignments; 1 is still Mode with 2 thru 8 for each individual clusters with 9 being Strobe/Speed and 10 being Dim. In this mode each cluster (and each circle with in each cluster) is controlled separately. Naturally that mode offers more control over the patterns.

Now for the Revo 4: That is a very sophisticated unit! As I recall from the video I watched it, unlike the IIIs clusters, is made up of horizontal and vertical lines of LEDs. Therefore it has substantially more flexibility, but 256 channels to program. Yes you can use the 4 channel mode to take advantage of its preprogrammed macros (Patterns/Chase)…but the 256 channel mode would allow you the ability to control each line and each LED individually.

Now I don’t have the unit or the manual but you could easily do chases, fades and wipes, create shapes and potentially even spell out words! But only in the 256 mode. Again that part is only speculation since I don’t have one of those units (yet!).

Hope this info helps.

- Dave

Dave,

Thanks a million! Even though you don't have the unit, your experience with the III is just what I needed. That gives me a pretty good idea of what I am working with.

The 4 ch mode is nice, but apparently you can only do one or the other effect in Ch 2 and 3, which kind of limits things, it seems. But it may be that you can only do an either or, like a chase or pattern, and not both.

I thought the 256 mode was essentially controlling each and every pixel, and that is what I had gathered, but now you basically confirmed what I was thinking (if that makes any damn sense at all... lol)

I am excited to get playing with this thing, as soon as I pick up an iDMX controller. Not sure if I can wait for the sale :shock:

As I get playing with this puppy, I will surely give an update.

We took this thing out in the driveway a couple weeks ago, and I could not believe how bright and vivid the colors were. We could shine it across the street, up a tree that was probably 40 ft tall, and see the lights bright and clear.

The programmed patterns rock are unreal, but I am really curious to see what I can do with some trial and error programming to get some effects I want specifically.

Paul –

Glad I could help. The projections of the Revo III had some great "wow factor" with viewers of my display. And yes, the images are bright and sharp. HOWEVER, the Revos aren’t weatherproof so I had to cover mine each evening after my shows were over. If you come up with a good idea for a permanent cover please share with the group.

The LOR sale should be starting in the next two weeks or so…I suggest downloading the documentation of the iDMX so you can start reading over the instructions. Hopefully that will help you hold off on buying it until the sale. :D

- Dave

• The topic was locked