Light-O-Rama Forums

How sturdy are CCRs

khawes

Thinking of flattening my 2011 CCR arches to be "up lighting" for Halloween tombstones. Of course, I'd only light the segments in front of the tombstone.

I want to protect them from sprinting trick-or-treaters who may cut across the lawn.

If the CCR's are attached to PVC that is attached to a 2x2 or 2x4, would a foot fall destroy them?

I would think so, yes.

There is clear PVC piping available out there. Find some 3/4 inch or so and put your CCR inside it where it can survive being stepped on.

Joe2000 wrote:

Why not use a Rainbow Spot only $10 bucks plus casing, little more useful for your purpose. Just a thought.

Joe

That is a thought... runs off and does some research...
Great idea...

However if I invest the $100-$160 in the tubing (assuming the local tap plastics has it in stock), I can use it in my the arches (the CCRs intended use during Christmas) as well as lighting segments of it in front of tombstones.

The rainbow spots will require me to get a controller too (DS or rainbow brain & DMX) with blows my budget further than it is already

Thanks for the idea. I had not seen those before.

Wonder how nice an arch you would get if you stuffed a CCB string into 15 or 20 feet of clear PVC? You might need some spacers between bulbs to keep it evenly spaced..

One could also sand the clear PVC to make it "frosted" to defuse/blend the light.... although with an 8' pipe (the length tap plastics sells) would put bulbs every 1.92" for a a 50 bulb string, that's closer than the bulbs are long.

20' would give you a ~6' high arch with bulb spacing at 4.8"

Stuff the tube with the bulbs end to end, and trim the tube to fit :D

khawes wrote:

and if you sanded the surface to make it "frosted" to defuse the light....
I've never seen clear rigid PVC before, just those rolls of tubing... *does a little research*... it does exist! :shock:)

This idea might makes its way into my roof grid if I can find a local source for it.

Brandon Kibler wrote:

khawes wrote:
I wonder if it would get too hot :D

With LEDs I don't think so.

In the sun, very possible. khawes is in California. In Illinois or Wisconsin, not so much in winter. I use the clear rigid tubing used for florecent tubes. ~ $4 for the 8' at Menards in the electrical dept., won't handle being stepped on though.

Here's another idea for tomb stones, use the cheap 9 or 12 led flashlights at Harbor Freight or anywhere. Use them as is for steady light, or mod them to hook up to a DC controller. The light gives a very nice effect on the tomb without lighting up other elements.

• The topic was locked