Light-O-Rama Forums

connecting lor to computer

ve4jnf

Guest Don Gillespie

Don Gillespie wrote:

after the first run I beleive it says you can go up to 1000 feet NickByrd wrote:

Your cable has to be long enough to reach your first controller outside, the max length on the first run can not exceed 100 feet but after that they can get longer the first conection is the importatant one do not exceed the 100 foot mark from your computer to your LOR controller.

Hey Don,

Are you talking CAT 5? My first CAT 5 run is close to 250 feet! I thought I read in the manual you were good to 1000 ft. If 100 ft is the max, is there controller damage that could result from this? I do have the USB 485 Booster. My show runs fine with 4 controllers.

Thanks for the help.

Ifyou go to LOR site and go to support and look under data sheets scroll down to the USB 485 conector it tells you how far you can go with the first cable I am not familiar with the booster after the first run of a 100 feet I beleive you can then stretch out to a 1000 feet with a max of 4000 feet unless I am reading this wrong hope this helps

Just noticed the booster anyone use this and how does it work??

Yeah I use the USB485B. Really use it for its intention? No

The boster as I understand had the abality to provide power to easy light linker and such LOR equipment that can be powered thru CAT5 cable.

I use it as a USB to 485 converter. I don't power anything with it. BUT, I can. : )

Sorry about the format of my earlier quote. I was on my NOT-SO-SMART phone.

Here is the easiest way I can say what I have done:

I built my house in 2009 and prewired ethernet into every room (2 connections in most rooms). All of these wires run into a distribution panel where I keep my router, phone boards, satelite hub, etc. I run the LOR show off of my computer via USB485B (booster) to CAT 5 and into the "extra" ethernet outlet in the wall. I use a coupler inside the distribution panel, routing the signal to an ethernet outlet in my garage. From there I run a 150ish foot CAT 5 to the 1st controller.

I had no problems with the show this year.

My questions are:

Does anyone see long term damage from a long first run?

AND

As I add more controllers, does anyone anticipate problems?

Hope this makes things clear as mud...

The length limits only apply if you are using power passed though the data cable. You can run as long as you like out of your total allowed lenght, if you are running from any of the USB adapters to a self powered LOR device. It does not matter if it is the boosted USB485B, or just the basic USB485.. I ran a couple hundred feet from the USB485ISO to the first controller with zero issues, and I have run about that on a USB485 in the past.

Where you need to pay attention is the SC485 adapter. The RS485 side and adapter is powered by the first controller, not the serial port.

Or, if you are using an Easy Linker, or iDMX, and powering it from the USB485B, or USB485ISO. Those are the cases where you need to pay attention to the first run length. Otherwise, no issues at all with long first runs.

-klb- wrote:

The length limits only apply if you are using power passed though the data cable. You can run as long as you like out of your total allowed lenght, if you are running from any of the USB adapters to a self powered LOR device. It does not matter if it is the boosted USB485B, or just the basic USB485.. I ran a couple hundred feet from the USB485ISO to the first controller with zero issues, and I have run about that on a USB485 in the past.

Where you need to pay attention is the SC485 adapter. The RS485 side and adapter is powered by the first controller, not the serial port.

Or, if you are using an Easy Linker, or iDMX, and powering it from the USB485B, or USB485ISO. Those are the cases where you need to pay attention to the first run length. Otherwise, no issues at all with long first runs.

Thanks,

That makes scence to shorten the CAT5 leads with those units NEEDING power.

Another self-initiated crisis averted.:)

• 10 months later...

HI GUYS I GOT THE LIGHT DISPLAY UP AND`RUNNING FOR THE FIRST TIME. 40000 LIGHTS 50 EXTENTION CORDS ONE MEGA TREE 8 TOMATO CAGE TREES AND OTHER STUFF. I WANT TO THANK ALL YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP .P.S THE NEIBOURS LOVE ME YA RIGHT