Light-O-Rama Forums

connecting lor to computer

ve4jnf

Hi im very new and i would like someone to explain how to hook up the controler to the computer usb . i meen in detail wireing to usb hub to the cat cable to the lor.Igot the lor16 built and the red light flashes.:P

How about a picture. You need an adapter, an adapter cable, and a cat5 cable to connect the computer to the LOR board.

Attached files 235456=12848-IMG_1013.jpg

Congrats on the new controller and welcome to the hobby...
To connect your controller to your PC, you should use one of the following USB converters.
http://www.lightorama.com/Converters.html

The USB RJ45 Serial Adapter should do just fine... if you got the controller kit and software bundle, it should have come with one.

Thanks My adapter plugs into my usb outlet and then i have 4 screws on the other end to screw the wires of the land cable .THEN IT PLUGS INTO THE LOR 16.

dont know what wires screw onto the land cable

Well then, sorry to say, but you're stuck with one red flashing LED for now, but, at least it's flashing, meaning your stuff is most likely working. That's a plus.

Hi and welcome to the addiction.

First a few things to clear up. You do not have a "land" cable. No such thing in this hobby. There is such a thing as "lan" but that is not really a cable per say, It is the name of a cable that is in a network in your house or office. Versus a WAN cable that goes outside of your house or office. In the picture the green cable is an Ethernet cable. Also I want to point out something in that picture. DO NOT use a USB cable that does not have those little black blobs near the connectors. IF you use a USB cable that does not have those blobs, there will be a good chance that you will have problems with the controllers doing weird stuff that you did not program them to do.

Sounds like you have a USB to RS-485 adapter from someone other than LOR. You might make it work, or you might blow up said adapter or the RS-485 chip on the controller. I know, its hard, but wait for the hardware from LOR and you will be much happier. BTW the Ethernet cable is not going to be long enough to use during your show. So, when you buy or make your own, get a standard patch cable. Not a cross over cable

ve4jnf wrote:

Thanks My adapter plugs into my usb outlet and then i have 4 screws on the other end to screw the wires of the land cable .THEN IT PLUGS INTO THE LOR 16.

dont know what wires screw onto the land cable

"With LOR the center 2 pins (4&5) are 485 + and -, Pins 3&6 are ground and +10V. The RJ45 to XLR diagram shows which is ground. It does not hurt anything to connect the 485 lines backwards, it just will not work and you can try the other way."

The above is a direct quote from an email from Dan.

If you indeed have a USB to 485 adapter with screw terminals it will work. I have done it. : )

Blue is pin 4 = rs485 +

Blue/White is pin 5 = rs485 -

Pin 6 is ground. Its either orange (T-568A) or green (T-568B) If you don't know, hook them both (orange and green) to ground

Pin 3 is +10V (green/white, or orange/white). Do not hook these up to your adapter as the controller will feed +10v back into your USB adapter.

Guest Don Gillespie

Max-Paul wrote:

Hi and welcome to the addiction.

First a few things to clear up. You do not have a "land" cable. No such thing in this hobby. There is such a thing as "lan" but that is not really a cable per say, It is the name of a cable that is in a network in your house or office. Versus a WAN cable that goes outside of your house or office. In the picture the green cable is an Ethernet cable. Also I want to point out something in that picture. DO NOT use a USB cable that does not have those little black blobs near the connectors. IF you use a USB cable that does not have those blobs, there will be a good chance that you will have problems with the controllers doing weird stuff that you did not program them to do.

Sounds like you have a USB to RS-485 adapter from someone other than LOR. You might make it work, or you might blow up said adapter or the RS-485 chip on the controller. I know, its hard, but wait for the hardware from LOR and you will be much happier. BTW the Ethernet cable is not going to be long enough to use during your show. So, when you buy or make your own, get a standard patch cable. Not a cross over cable

Your cable has to be long enough to reach your first controller outside, the max length on the first run can not exceed 100 feet but after that they can get longer the first conection is the importatant one do not exceed the 100 foot mark from your computer to your LOR controller.

And by the way welcome to the insanity :P

Is there anything wrong with using cat 5 cable and making your own usb cables? I have a bunch left over from when i built my house a couple of years ago.

papap wrote:

Is there anything wrong with using cat 5 cable and making your own usb cables? I have a bunch left over from when i built my house a couple of years ago.

How many USB cables do you need?

My set up uses 32 CAT5 cables but only 2 USB cables. The only reason I use 2 USB cables is because I use 2 networks.

Maybe you are meaning something besides "USB" cable?

First run limit applies to the SC485 that is powered from the first controller, or from items like the iDMX, or EasyLinker that may be powered from the USB485B.

Boy not sure what the hell I was thinking. Already have usb cable. Was think of cables to run in between units. sorry

Guest Don Gillespie

papap wrote:

Boy not sure what the hell I was thinking. Already have usb cable. Was think of cables to run in between units. sorry

Most people use either a cat 5 cable or telephone cable some are using cat 6

Ok I have a bunch of the cat 5 so I will use it up. I'm stuck here in Equatorial Guinea, Africa for 18 more days and just had a brain fart. LOL

Guest Don Gillespie

papap wrote:

Ok I have a bunch of the cat 5 so I will use it up. I'm stuck here in Equatorial Guinea, Africa for 18 more days and just had a brain fart. LOL

I thought it smelled in here LOL

Your cable has to be long enough to reach your first controller outside, the max length on the first run can not exceed 100 feet but after that they can get longer the first conection is the importatant one do not exceed the 100 foot mark from your computer to your LOR controller.

Hey Don,

Are you talking CAT 5? My first CAT 5 run is close to 250 feet! I thought I read in the manual you were good to 1000 ft. If 100 ft is the max, is there controller damage that could result from this? I do have the USB 485 Booster. My show runs fine with 4 controllers.

Thanks for the help.

NickByrd wrote: "" Your cable has to be long enough to reach your first controller outside, the max length on the first run can not exceed 100 feet but after that they can get longer the first conection is the importatant one do not exceed the 100 foot mark from your computer to your LOR controller. Hey Don, Are you talking CAT 5? My first CAT 5 run is close to 250 feet! I thought I read in the manual you were good to 1000 ft. If 100 ft is the max, is there controller damage that could result from this? I do have the USB 485 Booster. My show runs fine with 4 controllers. Thanks for the help.

maybe that is because you are using USB 485 Booster instead of the standard 485. I thought i read somewhere that you go booster when the initial run is more than 100ft.

and i am probably the king of brain farts. this past year I was freaking out because nothing was happening, had my show running and all so i popped the cover and no red led's. go to the hardware diag and it can't find the controllers so i am flipping out and tracing the Ethernet when i trip over four plugs that go to the controllers. in my haste to setup everything i forgot to plug in my two controllers.

Guest Don Gillespie

after the first run I beleive it says you can go up to 1000 feet NickByrd wrote:

Hey Don,

Are you talking CAT 5? My first CAT 5 run is close to 250 feet! I thought I read in the manual you were good to 1000 ft. If 100 ft is the max, is there controller damage that could result from this? I do have the USB 485 Booster. My show runs fine with 4 controllers.

Thanks for the help.

Ifyou go to LOR site and go to support and look under data sheets scroll down to the USB 485 conector it tells you how far you can go with the first cable I am not familiar with the booster after the first run of a 100 feet I beleive you can then stretch out to a 1000 feet with a max of 4000 feet unless I am reading this wrong hope this helps