Light-O-Rama Forums

Any song limit for Audacity??

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

I am making a medley for 2011, I seem to be having trouble with the amount of songs I can generate with Audacity and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem currently I am up to about 16 min of a medley I am putting together for this years show, does Audacity run slow when you input this much data into a medley format? it seems when I delete some tunes and bring everything down to about 12 min audacity seems to work fine, each song will be around 20-30 seconds long what is happening is my computer seems to freeze maybe I have answered my own question by having a 10 - 12 min medley whats your thought.

Guest Don Gillespie

-klb- wrote:

I'm guessing more memory might help, but I haven't tried any files that long.

I think you might be right. being not a computer guy meaning I am not that well versed in computers I would have no idea how to check if I have a lot of memory left in my computer, it is only a year old, it is a Seanix and it says Intel V11 V it has a pentium procesor no idea what this means.

Don Gillespie wrote:

-klb- wrote:

I think you might be right. being not a computer guy meaning I am not that well versed in computers I would have no idea how to check if I have a lot of memory left in my computer, it is only a year old, it is a Seanix and it says Intel V11 V it has a pentium procesor no idea what this means.

on your keyboard, press the windows key and the pause/break key at the same time. This will give you info on your computer.

MikeH

Guest Don Gillespie

MikeH wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
-klb- wrote:

on your keyboard, press the windows key and the pause/break key at the same time. This will give you info on your computer.

MikeH
Ok did that what am I looking for??

Guest Don Gillespie

Don Gillespie wrote:

MikeH wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote:
-klb- wrote:

MikeH
Ok did that what am I looking for?? this is what it says Pentium R D CPU 2.80 GHz
2.80 GHz 1.50 GB of Ram what does this mean

Don Gillespie wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
MikeH wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote:
-klb- wrote:

MikeH
Ok did that what am I looking for?? this is what it says Pentium R D CPU 2.80 GHz

Seems to me that you should be ok.

Don Gillespie wrote:

What does all that mumbo jumbo mean Mike?

It means that your CPU runs at 2.80 GHz (2 Gig, almost 3) and your ram is 1.5 Gig. You could use more ram by upgrading to maybe 3 Gig, but you should be ok with what you have unless you run intensive programs like video editing. i have a 2.20 CPU and only 2 Gb of ram. It serves me well with all the stuff I do. I run Karaoke/video music, video editing, song editing and tons of games.

MikeH

Guest Don Gillespie

MikeH wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

What does all that mumbo jumbo mean Mike?

It means that your CPU runs at 2.80 GHz (2 Gig, almost 3) and your ram is 1.5 Gig. You could use more ram by upgrading to maybe 3 Gig, but you should be ok with what you have unless you run intensive programs like video editing. i have a 2.20 CPU and only 2 Gb of ram. It serves me well with all the stuff I do. I run Karaoke/video music, video editing, song editing and tons of games.

MikeH

Thanks Mike I am not running any games or videos on my computer i use this for LOR and my wifes e-mail and my e-mail and Audacity along with I-Tunes so I can't figure out why my computer is running slow i ran my E-set securtity scan and I have no known problems I ran it yesterday

Don Gillespie wrote:

Thanks Mike I am not running any games or videos on my computer i use this for LOR and my wifes e-mail and my e-mail and Audacity along with I-Tunes so I can't figure out why my computer is running slow i ran my E-set securtity scan and I have no known problems I ran it yesterday

What Operating System do you have (winXP, Vista, win7)?

Guest Don Gillespie

MikeH wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

windows 2000 I think

Even though you have 1.5Gb of memory. Does not mean you have that much available. If your video is shared with the system memory, that will take a chunk out of the total. Also if it has been awhile since last time you rebooted or have been doing a lot of opening and closing of programs will have an effect on the amount of memory available. There is this little bug that has been around for years inside of all windows OS that I know about. It is called the memory leak. Lets say you open a program that need say about 300Mb. Well when you close the program it gives back 200Mb and 100Mb goes off to la la land. Only returning during a reboot or start up. This happens every time you open and close a program. So, after a time, you can loose quite a bit of memory. So, if you are going to be working on something that might eat up a lot of memory, do a reboot first.

You can check how much memory if free by doing this. Press all three keys at the same time, Ctrl, Alt, & Del. Now select "Start Task Manager", and click on Performance tab. Look for a box with a header of "Physical Memory" Then look for the line that says free. This will indicate how much memory that is available. Although I believe some of the cashed memory is also used when you open a program and to be truthful I am starting to get on the hairy edge of my understanding. All I can add is not the free memory. Reboot and then look at the free memory. It will be a larger number for sure after a reboot.
Laptops are terrible about being memory hogs due to the shared video memory. They are few and far between, but some laptops come with dedicated video memory. Thats what my next laptop will have.

Don Gillespie wrote:

MikeH wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote:

windows 2000 I think

I'd be curious to know how it would preform if you got your first 10-12 min like you wanted it then exported that as a mp3 or wav then started a new project using that exported audio file as your starting point.

Guest Don Gillespie

Paul Roberson wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
MikeH wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote:

windows 2000 I think

I'd be curious to know how it would preform if you got your first 10-12 min like you wanted it then exported that as a mp3 or wav then started a new project using that exported audio file as your starting point.

I haven't tried this will give it a shot

Guest Don Gillespie

Don Gillespie wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote:
MikeH wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote:

windows 2000 I think

I haven't tried this will give it a shot

After searching online I have now discovered I am not the only one that is having problems with Audacity the program freezes up solid will not work I can move my mouse and try to exit it will not even do this I have to cold start everything shutdown my computer manually then restart still doesn't work I am going to try to redown load Audacity and see if this fixes the problem what version of audacity is everyone using so I can make sure I am using that version to be on the same page as everyone else

I started doing an experiment. I have 20 songs imported into Audacity. The song length is just over 45 min 14 sec.

I have not done any cutting on any of the audio I have imported. I will keep importing files and see if I can get it to lock up.

My laptop is showing 490 MB free of physical memory I have a total of 3839.

Paul Roberson wrote:

I started doing an experiment. I have 20 songs imported into Audacity. The song length is just over 45 min 14 sec.

I have not done any cutting on any of the audio I have imported. I will keep importing files and see if I can get it to lock up.

My laptop is showing 490 MB free of physical memory I have a total of 3839.

Imported 5 more songs (one was a 12 min long). Now my free memory is 27.

Song length is up to one hour and 4 min now.