Light-O-Rama Forums

What dumb things have you done while setting up lights?

BrownOut

Today I was measuring out zip cord and making extension cords for next year. After cutting the wire and going back inside, I decided to put the ends on while watching TV. Unfortunately I made 4 gay cords... what can I use 4 cords for that have male plugs on both ends?

What mistakes have you made?

Guest wbottomley

BrownOut wrote:

Today I was measuring out zip cord and making extension cords for next year. After cutting the wire and going back inside, I decided to put the ends on while watching TV. Unfortunately I made 4 gay cords... what can I use 4 cords for that have male plugs on both ends?

What mistakes have you made?

Now that is funny!

Come and join us on Christmas Carolina.

I let somebody talk me into volunteering on a large display, starting the same year I was starting the display at my house.

BrownOut wrote:

These are usually called "Dead Man's Cords" or "Suicide Cords." It is usually just a matter of time before you accidentally touch one of those live male ends and you will find out why they are named that. :shock: Hopefully you will cut off one of those ends and re-do them.

I've got a few doozies to share, and I will, despite the fact these will make me appear as a total idiot ... lol

(1) After having an argument with the wife over whether to go up on the roof to change a couple burned out C9 bulbs, and insisting that (a) it was light enough (it wasn't) and (:P it was safe and no ice was on the roof ... I got on the roof to change those bulbs, scooted over about 12" then discovered that there was a downspout I didn't know about ... and right below it ... was an ice slide just waiting for me ... as a scooted over to change the first bulb ... and immediately slid right off the roof, doing a 11' jump onto concrete ... nearly landing on my wife (missed her by about 1 second) ... who heard my falling (desperate grappling with the roof and gutter) and was walking out of the garage to see what I was doing. So now anytime a similar argument comes up ... the wife is always right.

(2) After realizing that my father had hooked up an entire LOR board incorrectly ... I was happy to discover his mistake, so I cut off all the spade connectors and decided to redo it all. After doing the first 8 channels, I suddenly realized I had done the same incorrect wiring job that my father had. That made me so mad. I had to cut them all off again and do it a third time. And because of that, had to buy more connectors, since wasting those made me run short by 1 connector! (argh) ... another trip to home depot.

(3) I was throwing away a defective reindeer into a dumpster (ok a construction dumpster) ... late at night, and nobody would know, so no harm right? Well, upon launching rudolph up and into the very tall 8' dumpster, the dangling power cord (apparently) snagged my glasses and propelled them off of my face and up into the dumpster along with rudolph! Not only was a pitch dark, but now I was totally blind in the dark. I then had to drive home (nearly blind) and get my wife out of bed, who then had to get my children out of the bed (too young to leave at home alone) ... and go get my glasses out of the dumpster. When I got to the top of the dumpster, with my 7 led flashlight ablazing ... I discovered it was a VERY VERY full dumpster ... and everwhere I looked, was a 6-8' ravine for things to fall down into, never to be seen again. I was sure my glasses were at the bottom ... But to my amazement, what did I see? ... but Rudolph the non-functional reindeer! ... and nearby was a single piece of 12" x 12" drywall ... perfectly flat on top of the pile ... probably the only level piece in that whole dumpster ... and right in the middle, as if intentionally placed by the Christmas Light gods ... was my glasses!!!! ... I know, ridiculous!! And now my eldest daughters teacher got a flattering story entitled 'dumpster diving at midnight' ... complete with artwork depicting the old man diving into a dumpster to look for glasses.

Guest Don Gillespie

taybrynn wrote:

, the dangling power cord (apparently) snagged my glasses and propelled them off of my face and up into the dumpster along with rudolph!

That my freind is funny I can not top that story so I will not even try, however if you would like some advice when throwing out an old rudolph wear a string on your glasses so this won't happen again. glad you shared your story made my day :P

BrownOut wrote:

Unfortunately I made 4 gay cords... what can I use 4 cords for that have male plugs on both ends?

I take it you did not use Vampire plugs where you can just exchange the male end for a female end...

Ron Amedee wrote:

Biggest mistake i ever made was buying the First LOR controller !!!!!:P

Yep..I concur...

Oh well..I never wanted to retire with my life savings anyway...

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

BrownOut wrote:
Unfortunately I made 4 gay cords... what can I use 4 cords for that have male plugs on both ends?

I take it you did not use Vampire plugs where you can just exchange the male end for a female end...

I glanced at this very quickley and thought it said vasaline plugs when I got up from the floor I read the post correctly

Don Gillespie wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
BrownOut wrote:

I glanced at this very quickly and thought it said Vaseline plugs when I got up from the floor I read the post correctly

and what were you doing on the floor for your mind to go there Don???? :P:P:P:P:P

Don Gillespie wrote:

taybrynn wrote:
, the dangling power cord (apparently) snagged my glasses and propelled them off of my face and up into the dumpster along with rudolph!

That my freind is funny I can not top that story so I will not even try, however if you would like some advice when throwing out an old rudolph wear a string on your glasses so this won't happen again. glad you shared your story made my day :P

I agree its a funny story. I'll be laughing about the visual for awhile.

My advice, or question is: Why is a good power cord being thrown away. Rudolph should have had his power cord cut before throwing him away. : )

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
BrownOut wrote:

I glanced at this very quickly and thought it said Vaseline plugs when I got up from the floor I read the post correctly

and what were you doing on the floor for your mind to go there Don???? :P:P:P:P:P
Its like every other mind out there I could only get as low as the floor, my wife wanted to know what was so funny even she had a chuckle, it was at the right moment and the right time any sicko will see the humor in this :) I am still laughing I need help

It was my first year, meaning I wasn't saving cords back then ... and one of the reindeer (I got for free) was all rusted out and didn't work ... so I decided to get rid of it, esp. after the wife said it had to go.

taybrynn wrote:

It was my first year, meaning I wasn't saving cords back then ... and one of the reindeer (I got for free) was all rusted out and didn't work ... so I decided to get rid of it, esp. after the wife said it had to go.

I see.

Yeah, you need a string for your glasses. : )

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Your right ... and the funny thing is ... those glasses were actually they type with wires that go behind your ears (think Thomas Dolby/John Lennon style) ... so normally they stay on no matter what.

My wife has reluctantly allowed me to spend money on LOR for the past two years. When I read your story to her, she realized that there are others who are hooked even more than me on this addiction. Thanks! Maybe now I can buy a few more controllers. You guys are great!

Jeff Millard wrote:

taybrynn wrote:
... complete with artwork depicting the old man diving into a dumpster to look for glasses.

Why was jimswinder diving in a dumpster to look for your glasses?

because Gumby, I'm a NICE old man.... :P

Jeff Millard wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
I'm a NICE old man.... :P
A little full of ourselves aren't we?:cool:

I wasn't until I joined this group of Gumbys!!! :?