Light-O-Rama Forums

PLanet Monkman Custom Built Sequences

nmonkman

Tim Herberger wrote:

smiley-eatdrink033.gifsmiley-eatdrink033.gifsmiley-eatdrink033.gif

smiley-eatdrink031.gifsmiley-eatdrink031.gifsmiley-eatdrink031.gif

Well it is like Kim Mitchael said in his song "You might as well go for a soda no body hurts & no body cries.

"You might as well go for a soda no body drowns, & no body dies".

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• evan.a

• jem5136

• Paul Roberson

• friskybri

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clear up a couple of points here, as long as we are all being honest.

"If you want to sell your sequences go ahead but just don't continue to advertise on here over and over"

You know I was thinking the same thing the other day. I was driving home from work and every single intersection had one of those stupid....what you call them...oh yeah, businesses with a sign RIGHT IN MY LINE OF SIGHT. I even stopped at every single one and do you know what I found out??? They were all selling exactly what the sign indicated!!! Can you imagine that?? I was so mad because I had wasted hours going into every business. It's was like when you are on one of those stupid forums with all those topics to choose from and clicking on the ones that are advertising.

FYI...check my posting history. I post once a year for this.

Wouldn't that suck if you made a custom sequence for someone else and they won the contest. Beating anything you made for your own display.

That would be AWESOME!!!

For the record, I had work on my desk from March thru November last year and every single one of my clients got their complete orders in time for decorating season. How did that happen? By being honest and responsible and saying no thanks when I knew I was full instead of being greedy.

I did over extend myself last year not knowing how popular I would be and not knowing that the economy would force me to take a second job. I started late last year. However, my website is VERY CLEAR in that it indicates you may not get yours for the current year. In spite of that, I have 3 customers that were upset about this so they are getting last years AND this years FOR FREE before I start on new orders. Also I eneded up turning away 12 customers that I knew for sure would not get theirs in time.

I have very grave concerns saying that you will buy a MP3 for a person if they choose but yet then you are going to make a $1 proffit off of someone elses work. That in itself I would have to think would be illegal

As stated by someone more observant, MP3 files are 99 cents at Amazon.com. The additional penny can be attributed to download time, bandwidth usage, delivery, storage, handling, processing, documentary fee, rustproofing, paint sealant and fabric protection, some assembly required, etc. I felt it important to list all the items that the additional penny covers. After all, I would not want to do anything illegal.

Lastly, this post being at the top has generated $400 in revenue for me. Keep up the good advertising everyone!!!

I dont see how this is any different than Richard Holdman now selling sequences. He, Richard was just like Monkman with his generosity and gave away all his work, for FREE. Richard lost his job, sequences are no longer free. The difference is we are not giving him a hard time.

I was fortunate to DL some sequences from both of these guys. They are both artists IMO. Fantastic attention to detail. So if someone wants to pay for an A+ sequence, let em' ... No further questions your honor......

Bob Wingert wrote:

I dont see how this is any different than Richard Holdman now selling sequences. He, Richard was just like Monkman with his generosity and gave away all his work, for FREE. Richard lost his job, sequences are no longer free. The difference is we are not giving him a hard time.

I was fortunate to DL some sequences from both of these guys. They are both artists IMO. Fantastic attention to detail. So if someone wants to pay for an A+ sequence, let em' ... No further questions your honor......

The difference is he is not on here advertising. Plus he is asking for donations the last time I looked. That might have changed.

nmonkman wrote:

I have very grave concerns saying that you will buy a MP3 for a person if they choose but yet then you are going to make a $1 proffit off of someone elses work. That in itself I would have to think would be illegal

As stated by someone more observant, MP3 files are 99 cents at Amazon.com. The additional penny can be attributed to download time, bandwidth usage, delivery, storage, handling, processing, documentary fee, rustproofing, paint sealant and fabric protection, some assembly required, etc. I felt it important to list all the items that the additional penny covers. After all, I would not want to do anything illegal.

Ok I will concede, I miss read and will appologize.

friskybri wrote:

Bob Wingert wrote:
I dont see how this is any different than Richard Holdman now selling sequences. He, Richard was just like Monkman with his generosity and gave away all his work, for FREE. Richard lost his job, sequences are no longer free. The difference is we are not giving him a hard time.

I was fortunate to DL some sequences from both of these guys. They are both artists IMO. Fantastic attention to detail. So if someone wants to pay for an A+ sequence, let em' ... No further questions your honor......

The difference is he is not on here advertising. Plus he is asking for donations the last time I looked. That might have changed.

I think that Neal made one post that started this thread. If folks look around I can see other posts (on various forums) for individuals that offer other great custom services (ie. Kevin, aka the demented elf, etc).

I am glad we had an open conversation on this, as I forgot that George offers similar services. While I almost always have done all of my own sequencing (as I am OCD about breaking down the individual elements of music and vocals, so its not a display synchronized only to the beat), I have once paid (and won a second one at a mini)over the past decade for a custom sequence, to see how another individual, whom I view as talented, will approach sequencing my multiple display elements, something I could not get by simply looking at sequencing done for someone else's display.

If Neal, George, or any of the other custom guys repeatedly posted about their services that would be one thing. An occasional post is another.

So what say we all put this issue to bed, as we have heard from all sides. Let's not get into a January meltdown in the LOR forums, please!

Let's end by thanking all of our fellow decorators, those who are willing to share their sequences, and those that do custom sequencing, for their contributions to our ever expanding hobby..

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

friskybri wrote:
Bob Wingert wrote:

I think that Neal made one post that started this thread. If folks look around I can see other posts (on various forums) for individuals that offer other great custom services (ie. Kevin, aka the demented elf, etc).

I am glad we had an open conversation on this, as I forgot that George offers similar services. While I almost always have done all of my own sequencing (as I am OCD about breaking down the individual elements of music and vocals, so its not a display synchronized only to the beat), I have once paid (and won a second one at a mini)over the past decade for a custom sequence, to see how another individual, whom I view as talented, will approach sequencing my multiple display elements, something I could not get by simply looking at sequencing done for someone else's display.

If Neal, George, or any of the other custom guys repeatedly posted about their services that would be one thing. An occasional post is another.

So what say we all put this issue to bed, as we have heard from all sides. Let's not get into a January meltdown in the LOR forums, please!

Let's end by thanking all of our fellow decorators, those who are willing to share their sequences, and those that do custom sequencing, for their contributions to our ever expanding hobby..

Greg

Amen!!

Time to swallow the last bite of popcorn....

I am going to close this thread. A person who posts a couple times a year about a service they are providing is not abusing the forums IMHO. Sequences have been a tough topic over the years. We have had arguments about sharing and not sharing and now into the share vs sell, etc... So we have a few types of people, those who will not share, those who will share and those who will charge. The consumer will make the choice.

Dan