Light-O-Rama Forums

Which is the current board?

Shanta

I'm planning on ordering my first controller soon but am unsure exactly what I'd be getting. I have seen pics of a blue board that had screw-down terminals, and a green board that looked like it used spade-type connectors. If the current board is the later one I might prefer to just go with the ready-to-assemble kit, if it is the former, I might prefer to solder my own and use enclosures I have on-hand (since the cord connections would be easier).

Shanta

Guest wbottomley

Shanta wrote:

I'm planning on ordering my first controller soon but am unsure exactly what I'd be getting. I have seen pics of a blue board that had screw-down terminals, and a green board that looked like it used spade-type connectors. If the current board is the later one I might prefer to just go with the ready-to-assemble kit, if it is the former, I might prefer to solder my own and use enclosures I have on-hand (since the cord connections would be easier).

Shanta

Any board you purchase from the LOR store is a current version.

But, they're are a few types of boards.

It depends what you want to do and how to do it.

Ah! That is very helpful. I had thought all the solder-your-own kits were the same board. I assume the standalone capability is the same as using an MP3 Director? And that downstream controllers can be either Showtime or PC? Decisions, decisions...

Shanta wrote:

Ah! That is very helpful. I had thought all the solder-your-own kits were the same board. I assume the standalone capability is the same as using an MP3 Director? And that downstream controllers can be either Showtime or PC? Decisions, decisions...

Not exactly.

Stand alone will/can run animation only.

MP3 Director can run animation only or animation with audio (MP3)

Yes downstream controllers can be either PC or Showtime.

Shanta wrote:

Ah again! The choices are getting whittled... which is good, I was starting to feel overwhelmed.

If you are planning on animation with audio (MP3). You will either need a:

Director Card with MP3 Player (has internal clock/timer)

ShowTime MP3 Director (has internal clock/timer)

Mini Director with MP3 Player (no clock/timer) or

Use your own computer.

note the first two links are the same product except for housing/enclosure.

Showtime controllers are not required for your set up if you plan to use one of the above options to run your show. You could do it will all PC controllers. Unless of course you are in need some of DC contollers, or one of their other 'specialty controllers.

I think the three options in the running are:

$150 for a Showtime solder-your-own board only, because it would be easiest to make cordsets for,

$180 for a PC solder-your-own kit (with upgraded heat sinks) with enclosure and cord set,

$205 for a ready to assemble PC kit.

And now that I see the options spelled out, the $30 step from 1 to 2 is easily negated by the cost of cords and enclosure. I have enclosures I could use, but the time modifying them has value, too. Then the $25 step between 2 and 3, surely my hours spent soldering are worth $25? And the removal of stressing that I might screw up. So the PC RTA kit is the clear front-runner. Now the only question is, am I willing to wait for the sale? Probably not.

Shanta wrote:

I think the three options in the running are:

$150 for a Showtime solder-your-own board only, because it would be easiest to make cordsets for,

$180 for a PC solder-your-own kit (with upgraded heat sinks) with enclosure and cord set,

$205 for a ready to assemble PC kit.

And now that I see the options spelled out, the $30 step from 1 to 2 is easily negated by the cost of cords and enclosure. I have enclosures I could use, but the time modifying them has value, too. Then the $25 step between 2 and 3, surely my hours spent soldering are worth $25? And the removal of stressing that I might screw up. So the PC RTA kit is the clear front-runner. Now the only question is, am I willing to wait for the sale? Probably not.

I was in your shoes last year. Another selling point for #1 and #2 is that you will learn and know what has gone into your controller and a little clue about where to look if something is going screwy and how to fix it. I personally had a soldering err on one of my boards and Dan helped me out over e-mail tremendously.

Just remember that if your going to wait for the spring sale, order yours after I get my next couple of controllers first!

I will almost certainly do a PC solder kit for my second controller, once I have some hands-on time with the PC. I just want to have a better feel for the types of connectors the PC boards use for hooking up cordsets, the amount of room, etc. If after spending some hands-on time I find the PC too tight, or the connectors too awkward, then I will likely do a Showtime solder kit or another PC RTA kit (probably during the summer sale). Thanks for the help in making the decision guys.

ShantaClausSm.png

I have always preferred the screw terminal strips..so did all CTB-16Ds. With the wiring harnesses I created for my mini-trees, the screw terms were the absolute right way to go.

I also preferred the ability to set the controller ID on the card, rather than via hardware utility. I thought I might use the stand-alone mode since I was running animation only this year, but thanks to my wife needing a new computer, her old one became the show computer, and I went that route.

The budget allowed me to go with the CTB-16KDs..if I had to be a bit more frugal, I likely would have backed off of the "nice to haves" and focused only on the "must haves"..

I built all of mine, but that is because building them, for me, is as much fun as firing up the display itself.

Choosing which controller (kit or assembled).. came down to price and what my future plans were.. my second and on units (9 total) were full you-build'em kits as the cost savings paid for the last 32 channels..

It all depends what you want to do and how much to spend.. seems like most new users first controller is either a fully assembled -16D/-16PC or commercial Showtime unit to see whats what.. the subsequent kits are a you-build'em variation on them.. Good housings can be acquired cheaper, maybe with a little more work mounting tho.. and I found the same plugs LOR uses for .97/ea, saving abt $16 over the LOR versions, which pays for yet another set of plugs.. I like the idea of screw terminals, wish it was an option on the -16PC board.. saves having to crimp or solder the 38 spade lugs.

Lastly, welcome to the madness, and the greatest group of just-not-right folks on the planet :D

So, am I hearing right, that the PC controllers use regular spade connectors for connecting cordsets? For some reason when viewing the assembly videos on YouTube I got the impression that they used some kind of locking pin connector, like power supply connections inside a desktop. If they are simple spades I may go the card-only route and make my own cordsets and adapt an on-hand enclosure.

ShantaClausSm.png

Guest wbottomley

Shanta wrote:

So, am I hearing right, that the PC controllers use regular spade connectors for connecting cordsets? For some reason when viewing the assembly videos on YouTube I got the impression that they used some kind of locking pin connector, like power supply connections inside a desktop. If they are simple spades I may go the card-only route and make my own cordsets and adapt an on-hand enclosure.

ShantaClausSm.png

Checkout my assembly video. It's a time lapse of 35 minutes using spt1 wire and vampire plugs.

Excellent, I'll be ordering a PC card-only... now to decide about soldering. Actually, I probably already have, that I'll skip the soldering for this time around. Now to just make the decision concrete by PLACING A DANG ORDER already! Sometime this week, I'm sure. Thanks for all the help guys!

ShantaClausSm.png

Jeff Millard wrote:

Do you actually need the board at this time?

There's 'need' and there's 'want', and all to often the line between the two is so darn blurry! I know there are some modest discounts available in the Spring sale, but I'd be really bummed if I waited that long and everything was sold out by time I got to checkout (6 minutes after it starts!). I really want to get my hands on my first controller so I can see exactly how the effects look, how my LEDs perform, etc.

ShantaClausSm.png

Not to get you more confused but in 2011 or 2012 LOR is comming out with the G2 controlers(generation 2) These will have the same effeccts + more and you don't need to use cat5 cables for data, it is run through the power cable! Here is a link that better explains it.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum81/25276.html