Light-O-Rama Forums

iDMX by itself

maverick34

I have DMX devices and wanted to know if I need a 16 channel controller to connect the iDMX or if I could use an iDMX from the serial port without a controller.

Also if I can, would I be able to buy an iDMX1000 with the SPK-ST Generic Starter Package because the iDMX100 doesn't come with anything.

Thanks!!

You might not be able to use just the SC485 and iDMX. The USB-485B and iDMX is a defininate yes. The iDMX can be powered from either the USB-485B, or from a power adapter. But I don't think it will supply power to run a SC-485, which is normally powered by the first controller.

-klb- wrote:

You might not be able to use just the SC485 and iDMX. The USB-485B and iDMX is a defininate yes. The iDMX can be powered from either the USB-485B, or from a power adapter. But I don't think it will supply power to run a SC-485, which is normally powered by the first controller.

The Idmx will run with the SC485, I have done that. You will need a power adapter, just a wall wort this way.

This is from the iDMX manual:

If you are using the SC485 or USB485 to connect the iDMX485 to your PC, you will need a 12 VDC power supply to power the iDMX-1000.

That would lead me to believe the SC485 is power by the power supply.

• The topic was locked