Light-O-Rama Forums

12V Automotive/Boat Outlet Powered LOR Controllers?

Guest guest

Okay here's one for Light-O-Dan and his expert team of developers. Why not make a controller that can be powered directly from a vehicles 12V power outlet(cigarette lighter outlet)? This way a laptop could operate such a controller in or mounted to a vehicle without needing a generator to provide ~AC~ power for a controller or controllers. Some may want to consider adding in a second 12v battery to power the display, the outputs of the controller could still be 120VAC using inverters in the controller circuitry makeup.

This would be fantastic for use by those that decorate their boats or vehicles for parade or other use that would require a controller to be mobile in some manner.

Now I don't know how feasible or well this could work, but just an idea since there are many items that can be powered from both direct connection to ~AC~ and then from a cigarette lighter outlet with a power adapter that fits in it.

I tried doing a search of such a controller, but came up empty. So I figured I'd make the suggestion and see what folks and LOR thinks of the prospect of something like this.

Also figured it could be a smaller type controller, offer it with 8 or 16 channels, maybe less depending on how the controller would have to be designed (maybe as little as 4 or 6 outputs).

So does anyone think this could work? Would it even be practical? And lastly would anyone buy such a controller?

Orville wrote:

Okay here's one for Light-O-Dan and his expert team of developers. Why not make a controller that can be powered directly from a vehicles 12V power outlet(cigarette lighter outlet)? This way a laptop could operate such a controller in or mounted to a vehicle without needing a generator to provide ~AC~ power for a controller or controllers.
This has been availiable for many years - The LOR CMB-16D 16 channel controller
Some may want to consider adding in a second 12v battery to power the display, the outputs of the controller could still be 120VAC using inverters in the controller circuitry makeup.
Oh my goodness NO! The cost would skyrocket with inverters in the outputs. Just use low voltage lights!

So does anyone think this could work? Would it even be practical? And lastly would anyone buy such a controller?
I have 8 of the low voltage controllers (128 channels) Some are powering 24 lights, some 12 volt lights and some 5 volt lights

Here is a link the the LOR product page:

http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca2.html

One thing to keep in mind on vehicles 12V power outlet(cigarette lighter outlet) and or battery and you are using LEDs

lets say your are runny your vehicles, The charging system provides a fixed voltage of typically 13.8 to 14.4 V (Volt) it be safe to set up the LEDs for about 14.5V

Thanks folks. Guess I just didn't know how to dearch for what I was looking for. At least now *I* know, because I sure didn't before and was definitely unaware.

Looks like when I can get re-employed, I need to invest in some of these too.

Thansk again for all the answers and links! Much appreciated! :P

• 3 weeks later...

Orville, sounds like you got plenty of pointers to the 16 channel DC controller boards, but no one mentioned this.

Eliminate the laptop controlling the show by using a mini-director with MP3 output. Build your show in LOR S2 software and copy the show file to an SD card. Pop the SD card into the Mini-Director and turn it on and it runs your show (controlling your light controllers)without a computer! Even has MP3 output you can wire to your boat/auto stereo so your show audio can come along for the ride.

I used this same setup this past Christmas for my 64 channel/ 16 string mini-mega tree aboard my 1985 Toyota pickup know an the 'Fiesta_Mobile'. The Fiest_Mobile web page is down for maintenance, but you can see a couple of still shots by searching for 'fiestamobile' or fiesta_mobile' on facebook.

Here's a link to a cartoon example of how a mini director can fit into a mobile boat/auto display.

http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimeDirector.html

matt_grooms wrote:

Orville, sounds like you got plenty of pointers to the 16 channel DC controller boards, but no one mentioned this.

Eliminate the laptop controlling the show by using a mini-director with MP3 output. Build your show in LOR S2 software and copy the show file to an SD card. Pop the SD card into the Mini-Director and turn it on and it runs your show (controlling your light controllers)without a computer! Even has MP3 output you can wire to your boat/auto stereo so your show audio can come along for the ride.

I used this same setup this past Christmas for my 64 channel/ 16 string mini-mega tree aboard my 1985 Toyota pickup know an the 'Fiesta_Mobile'. The Fiest_Mobile web page is down for maintenance, but you can see a couple of still shots by searching for 'fiestamobile' or fiesta_mobile' on facebook.

Here's a link to a cartoon example of how a mini director can fit into a mobile boat/auto display.

http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimeDirector.html

Thanks Matt. I have the MP3 Showtime Director, that's what ran my shows this past year and I have been thinking of purchasing another one for vehicular use, but since I had the laptop I was thinking of using it, but now that your brought this back up, I think the MP3 Showtime Director would definitely be the better way to go, especially since it can get its power directly from the cat5 connected to the controller. Will delve more into this when I can pursue the purchase of the DC Controllers and hopefully another MP3 Showtime Director to deck out my SUV.