Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT-1 / SPT-2 / SPT-3 / Zip Cord

rheide

All - I'm getting started in this venture and need to get some SPT cord to start building my arches. I've seen a lot of posts - from someone getting a steal at HD for $15 for 250 feet (which I know is SUPER cheap and not the norm) to others getting it for $100/1000 BUT - as I look around, I'm not finding anything remotely close to these prices.

CDI's pre-order-sale price is $145 + shipping - which doesn't seem like a deal at all (at least to me)

A couple questions (I have not been to HD/Lowes yet but going today)

1. Are you guys using only green cord (I realize its a preference but just curious)?
2. What is a reasonable price to pay (including shipping)?
3. Is SPT and zip cord the same thing?

Thanks All!!

rheide wrote:

All - I'm getting started in this venture and need to get some SPT cord to start building my arches. I've seen a lot of posts - from someone getting a steal at HD for $15 for 250 feet (which I know is SUPER cheap and not the norm) to others getting it for $100/1000 BUT - as I look around, I'm not finding anything remotely close to these prices.

CDI's pre-order-sale price is $145 + shipping - which doesn't seem like a deal at all (at least to me)

A couple questions (I have not been to HD/Lowes yet but going today)

1. Are you guys using only green cord (I realize its a preference but just curious)?
2. What is a reasonable price to pay (including shipping)?
3. Is SPT and zip cord the same thing?

Thanks All!!

What size cord are you going to use? SPT1 / 3 or SPT2? Remember you will need to also obtain the plugs and sockets that will match your wire.

I use Green, Brown, Black or White - depending on where the cord is to be used in my display - and where I find the online specials through out the year. For wire runs on the house I use white, on the ground green, black or brown, for high visibility locations usually green. I usually keep several fresh new 1000 foot spools in inventory all year.

Rememer the SPT3 from CDI contains additional UV inhibitors in the insulation and is a good price for the quality.

Sometimes I find SPT1 for $60 - $70 per 1000 feet, I have several websites I check throughout the year that are known to sometime have specials on special buys they obtain. But some years they don't, that is why when I find a super special price I'll buy 4 or 5 1000 ft spools just to keep in inventory. n I do the same with the connectors, probably have 500 or so of each in inventory that I've accumulated when I find good buys.

shfr26 wrote:

Try Skycraft Surplus in Orlando. I got 1,000 for $100.00

Pete has fast fingers! But ditto on the 1000 for 100. That was the currect price as of yesterday. With me living in SC shipping is 1 day and relatively inexpensive

Bob Wingert wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
Try Skycraft Surplus in Orlando. I got 1,000 for $100.00

Pete has fast fingers!

Not when it comes to sequencing!!:P

I was one that convinced myself it HAD to be green..and went with CDI...

When I was ordering SPT in the summer, and excel'd it all out, with shipping, etc...CDI was very competitive. It actually is SPT-3, so SPT-1 plugs are your choice. I give a solid thumbs up to their delivery time and customer service.

Honestly, my only complaint about the CDI cord was out of 3 spools, two of them I busted one side off the reel, and it creates a wire coiling mess...I'm assuming it's just my clumsiness that caused it, but after breaking two, I have to wonder..the ends are glued on, so maybe it is just cheap glue.

I also have to recommend CDI on the wire and ends.

I know that the wire can be found for less but Paul is a joy to deal with and never any problems with him and CDI.

It might be good to notice too that Paul came right out before the sale and warned us all that the prices were going to go up this year because of the base cost of copper, labor prices in china, manufacturers upgrading equipment, etc. So the increase should be no surprise and I'm sure that we will see other suppliers increase their pricing accordingly.

It also seems that the wire from CDI increased in quality last year a lot over the year before. I bought 6 rolls back in 2008 and it was scramle wound on the reels and a little bit of a pain to unroll and use but not really bad. In 2009 I bought another 4 rolls that are nicely wound and unroll like a dream. Chinese manufacturing catching up I would guess. Only grip would be the flimsy reels that will break unless you are careful, but I didn't buy the wire for the reel after all.

And you can also go to Skycrafters, actionlighting, and several other sources to check pricing or pick up some during the off times. As long as you get the same type of wire and accessories you should be good to go.

Bill

Thanks for all the input - for those SkyCraft buyers - can you get the cord in green? I don't see it on the site but you guys surely know more than I.

I realize CDI uses SPT-3 (which I believe is SPT-1 + UV protection) but $145/160 vs $100 seems like a HUGE difference.

with shipping comparison - I put in 90210 zip code (which is NOT mine)
SC: 1000ft SPT-1 (white) = $100 + $29 = $129
CDI: 1000ft SPT-3 (green) sale = $145 +$26.79 = $172 or
CDI: 1000ft SPT-3 (green) no-sale = $160 + $26.79 = $187

so $50-65 difference

Yes I realize you are all capable of adding but just thought I would include my calculations on the page :-)

Afraid that I have never bought Skycrafters wire so not sure on color although every time I have looked at it is has been the brown color.

Also the CDI spt3 (which is the spt1 with UV protector) holds up very nicely in the weather compared to regular spt1. I have had some 7000 feet of the spt3 that is 3+ years old and still looks almost new compared to regular spt1 cords that look somewhat ragged after just 1 year out in the weather.

So the price difference is easily made up by me on the longevity of the spt3 over the regular spt1.

But we each do as we need too to make our displays work and you have to too. You can use the savings to buy the ends for the wire!

Bill

rheide wrote:

so $50-65 difference

Yes I realize you are all capable of adding but just thought I would include my calculations on the page :-)

From experience I can tell you that the shipping calculator on CDI's web site is WRONG. It figures much higher then the actual shipping costs.

CDI only charges the actual shipping, so your numbers are possibly not correct.

I have noted the same with Skycraft also on previous orders.

You should always CALL, and ask them for the shipping costs to your ACTUAL zipcode, or use the UPS calculator on the UPS web page

rheide wrote:

Thanks for all the input - for those SkyCraft buyers - can you get the cord in green? I don't see it on the site but you guys surely know more than I.

I realize CDI uses SPT-3 (which I believe is SPT-1 + UV protection) but $145/160 vs $100 seems like a HUGE difference.

so $50-65 difference

I would think you would be abe to pick it up from CDI and avoid shipping. This is what I was planning on doing but I have not ask Paul yet.

rheide wrote:

Never seen green, but here are some others.

SPT1 brown http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/18awglampcord2conspt-1wire-2.aspx

SPT 2 brown doesn't appear to be in stock:
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/18awglampcordbrownspt-2.aspx

This is where the various available options come and go:
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/lampcord.aspx

rheide wrote:

so $50-65 difference

The shipping issue has aleady been mentioned, but you also get 10% off as part of LOR..CDIFAN10 is, I believe, the discount code. Not sure how that works with the pre-sale sale, but any other time of the year, that code works.

I live 35-40 minutes from Skycraft, and still chose to order from Paul. I knew what I would get, every time..realize, Skycraft is still, at the end of the day, surplus, and that tells me that from purchase to purchase, what you get may vary somewhat.

I see that SPT cord comes in a variety of gauges. Does everyone use 18awg? I'm getting ready to buy my first spool ($39 for 250' at HD, too much I know, but I want it NOW) and don't want to make a mistake right out of the gate. I'm thinking of standardizing on SPT1/3 primarily because I need to run several cords in 1/2" conduit and extra insulation would make it harder. So the SPT1 from HD would be mostly for inside conduit, and I'll get a spool of SPT3 later for cords that will be exposed. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

ShantaClausSm.png