Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Etc Info Needed

jbzeus

I've been contemplating CCR's from LOR and also items from this site: http://response-box.com/rgb/. I'm a complete newbie to this DMX stuff. I've done some reading and am more confused now than before.

If I would buy items from the site above to use with LOR do I need something from LOR too to interface the nodes?

Sorry, I don't know what to ask because I don't know what I don't know.:shock:

Programming? LOR software or something else required then importing to S2?

Thanks,Jeff

jbzeus wrote:

I've been contemplating CCR's from LOR and also items from this site: http://response-box.com/rgb/. I'm a complete newbie to this DMX stuff. I've done some reading and am more confused now than before.

If I would buy items from the site above to use with LOR do I need something from LOR too to interface the nodes?

Sorry, I don't know what to ask because I don't know what I don't know.:shock:

Programming? LOR software or something else required then importing to S2?

Thanks,Jeff

You will need the iDMX (Converts LOR to DMX) - as of right now. Sequencing would be the same within S2 (theoretically).

Harrison

The iDMX will drive the T3 controller. Do be aware that one of the 4 strings is all the iDMX can apply effects to at the same time. This is because it only supports 128 iChans. You can on and off all 4 strings, but if you want to fade things in and out, you can only do 1/4 of the DMX universe at once.

Note that it looks like the next year the controller will be the E16, currently speaking artnet, but upgraded to E1.31. The question then is if LOR will support E1.31 next year...

There are also a few other option out there like the TP3244 from our friends down under that can drive a variety of pixel items via DMX & HyerDMX. If you pair it with the EtherCon Gateway (E1.31) it is a GREAT addition - SO hoping LOR adds support for E1.31

Harrison

Jeff,
I purchased 28 strings of RGB nodes and 7 T3 controllers from John. I integrated those with LOR using the iDMX as mentioned above. All said, it worked great with the one caveat being the iDMX's limited number of intelligent channels (# of channels that can fade/shimmer/twinkle simultaneously). See my thread at http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum75/25325.html for more discussion on what this means and how it impacted my display. Unfortunately i didn't fully grasp what the limited # of intelligent channels meant until it was too late.

Despite this short coming, everything worked as designed.. the nodes definitely had some wow factor for folks. You may want to hold tight for a bit as it sounds like LOR may be introducing some products to ease some of this pain as well as simplify some of the integration. Below is a snapshot of how i integrated the T3 and the iDMX (note that i since enclosed the power supply).

Hope that helps,
Dave
rgb1.jpg

Thanks for the replies and help. I had seen a reference to the limitations now after reading the thread I understand a little more.

Jeff

• The topic was locked