Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT extension power cord

Bcspy

What is the difference between spt1 vs spt 2 power cord? I want make extension cord for mega tree, arches, and strobe lights. What should I buy. All lights are led. Thanks

Bcspy wrote:

What is the difference between spt1 vs spt 2 power cord? I want make extension cord for mega tree, arches, and strobe lights. What should I buy. All lights are led. Thanks

I have found that all the cord you buy online are way too expensive to get out here when you add shipping. I buy the 500ft spools of black 16/2 landscape lighting wire at home depot for @ $85 a spool. I buy the plugs from christmaslightshow.com (spt 2). I just email christmaslightshow.com and they usually ship it usps for cheaper.

csimmon5 wrote:

Bcspy wrote:

I have found that all the cord you buy online are way too expensive to get out here when you add shipping. I buy the 500ft spools of black 16/2 landscape lighting wire at home depot for @ $85 a spool. I buy the plugs from christmaslightshow.com (spt 2). I just email christmaslightshow.com and they usually ship it usps for cheaper.

Just keep in mind that most landscape lighting wire is for LOW voltage. From a safety standpoint, the insulation on the wire needs to be rated for 300 volts or higher.

Yes, it is not that safe.

If you look at the AC sine wave it goes positive and negative for zero volts to 110Volts each way. What you read on a voltmeter or DVM is the RMS voltage (This is the average voltage) which is around 110VAC. The real voltage 2.828 times the RMS that would be 311.08 Volts Peak-to Peak. That is why you want a 300 volt minimum voltage rated insulated wire. 600 volts insulation would be the best.

Landscape and speaker wire is not designed or rated for these voltages because they are both classified as Low Voltage application wiring. Thus the insulation can be lower rated and not the same quality.

• 4 months later...

LarryandGlenora wrote:

You can get 1000' spools from Skycraft Surplus (when it's in stock) for $100.

Ahh, my favorite place to buy goodies from. And what makes it even better, it's only about 7 miles from where I live, so I can visit the store itself to see what they havet!:D

I buy a lot of my loose L.E.D.'s, Relays and electronic parts there all the time. And they have a lot more in-store than you ever see on-line, NOT all their stuff is posted on-line! Which gives me an advantage when I can just go to the store and see what's available!:cool:

Orville wrote:

LarryandGlenora wrote:
You can get 1000' spools from Skycraft Surplus (when it's in stock) for $100.

Ahh, my favorite place to buy goodies from.  And what makes it even better, it's only about 7 miles from where I live, so I can visit the store itself to see what they havet!:P

I buy a lot of my loose L.E.D.'s, Relays and electronic parts there all the time.   And they have a lot more in-store than you ever see on-line, NOT all their stuff is posted on-line!   Which gives me an advantage when I can just go to the store and see what's available!:cool:

Well :P on you!

spt1 and 2 have the same core wire but the spt2 has a thicker insulation. not much price difference

Dennis,

for the sake of discussion. I think there is an error in you way of thinking about the RMS versus Peak and P-P. When we are talking about 110VAC this would be one hot and a neutral. And it would then be DVM voltage of 110VAC RMS X 1.414 to read the peak voltage. And if you are reading between two hot leads I think it would be DVM voltage of 220VAC X 1.414 still. Do the math and I think you will see that this is correct. Cause in the RMS to Peak we see we have 155 volts peak. Double that to see peak to peak, and you have 310 Volts. And 220 X 1.414 equals 311 volts.

I know, its hard to keep it straight at times for me too. Had to do some work on the calculator before I wrote this.