Light-O-Rama Forums

1602W Channels 1-8 Not working after blown fuse

ChristmasCompany

This is our first year with LOR and so far it has been pretty painless to setup and run a show using 11 controllers on 2 different networks with 100 channels of all LED lights.

The problem is with one 1602W that keeps blowing fuses. We've checked the amperage on all our lights and we're just under the 8A chan. / 15A side limit. I don't mind replacing the fuses (although the last one required a 7/32 drill bit and a bit of 'persuasion' from the back of the fuse holder to remove.)

After replacing the fuse and a cursory exam of the circuit board which turned up nothing, the metal plate was replaced and power was reconnected. The LED on the board turned solid within a second or two but none of the channels 1-8 had any power. Channels 9-16 all work as they should.

Thinking it might have been a bad extension cord, the power leads were swapped on the extension cords and the unit still powered up so I'm thinking the problem is either with the fuse holder itself or with some circuitry on the board.

I'll know more after I get the box apart during the daylight tomorrow but was wondering what suggestions you guys may have had for me to check besides the fuse holder and any obvious smoked components on the board.

Please clarify your statement "Thinking it might have been a bad extension cord, the power leads were swapped on the extension cords and the unit still powered up"

Is it the dual power feed version? If so, the power for the on-board circuitry is supplied by the right input power cord (the same one that powers channels 9-16). You may want to check the connection of the input power cord for the left side (channels 1-8). Hope this helps.

He was saying he thought he had a bad supply cord going to the 1-8 side.

I am not certain how the wires connect from the fuse holder mounted on the plate back to the card. Check to make sure that everything is indeed connected. If you are going to pull the card out, look for critters that may have gotten in the warm place between the board and the heatsink. Them critters can cause shorts.

Although you say you are just under the 8a per channel/max of 15 per side. It is possible to have a faulty string of lights. Might try reconfiguring and lessening the load on that 1/2 of the board.

Chuck

That's what I thought Chuck. Thanks. I also wanted to make sure it was understood that the board power comes in on the channel 9-16 side. Also, even though you're under the 8 A limit/channel, you could still be exceeding the 15 A limit/side, which would blow the fuse.

Merry Christmas,
Neil