Light-O-Rama Forums

What to get

Guest Don Gillespie

A laptop is really nice, and if you have a wireless network, you can connect the LOR cat 5 to a wireless router and run everything from the street without having to move your cable around. Great for troubleshooting and sequencing. Just a little more input. Way to go, getting your wife to agree to a new computer!

Guest Don Gillespie

shfr26 wrote:

Maybe we can get TJHav??? to fly up there, pick up the computer, fly it down to me, you give him Royal Crown, I'll give him warm weather and a few brewskees, and we will all be happy. That way your wife doesn't have to do anything drastic. :D

Wait I am coming down to florida in another 3 weeks I will see if I can smuggle it in my suit case that way she won't know, actually I have been playing with my laptop I think it is going to work

Guest Don Gillespie

Kevin Holcomb wrote:

A laptop is really nice, and if you have a wireless network, you can connect the LOR cat 5 to a wireless router and run everything from the street without having to move your cable around. Great for troubleshooting and sequencing. Just a little more input. Way to go, getting your wife to agree to a new computer!

Thanks kevin I think my laptop is going to work the cable that I have in my upstairs office can be easily pulled down so I can hook everything up in the basement will be able to move my reciever also, wife is happy I won't do anything untill I can test it after this years show, some how my new computer turned into a new Jeep for her I still don't know what the hell happened, I think she hornswalloged me LOL

I'm adding video for the first time this year and running into a problem.

I have 2 sequences completed. The first one seems to run with no problem. The second one, though, does one of two things. When the video is played full screen, it stutters greatly...will stick on one from for quite a time and then jump to catch up. Or, if I play it small, the video plays ok but the lights lag behind the music by a second or two. If I swap out the video for the MP3 version, it plays fine. Are there certain requirements for the videos themselves?

I'm in crunch time here as I have some other videos to finish by tuesday when I plan to launch my show. (I actually ordered a new controller on 11/16 and it won't be here until then).

Is my computer lacking to run the video sequences?

I have a Dell D600 laptop, Intel Pentium 1600 MHz, 1.59 GHz, 2 GB RAM.

I put a lot of work into these videos and am getting really frustrated. BTW, they seem to run fine on my desktop Mac running windows (not easily used to run my shows).

use a standalone box. Desktop is the way to go. Im using just a normal Intel dual core cpu, with 2gb of ram. MSI mainboard and a 500gb seagates with raid. With this much time spent in programming, I cant afford to loose a single drive.

If i do loose a drive the show continues to run with no issues. Its happened!

The machine pulls little power and if I need to work on it, I just remote in using mstsc.

dual cores are getting cheaper and have way more than enough power to run the show.

Newegg.com has some killer deals on hardware right now.

Too late. I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 15r with a dedicated video card. Will be here manana.

webbie wrote:

use a standalone box. Desktop is the way to go. Im using just a normal Intel dual core cpu, with 2gb of ram. MSI mainboard and a 500gb seagates with raid. With this much time spent in programming, I cant afford to loose a single drive.

If i do loose a drive the show continues to run with no issues. Its happened!

The machine pulls little power and if I need to work on it, I just remote in using mstsc.

dual cores are getting cheaper and have way more than enough power to run the show.

Newegg.com has some killer deals on hardware right now.